a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living expense/pay (Australie vs Légion)

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
My question/comparison is:

In my country Australia (Australie)n the government pays soldiers quite a bit more in money than the what I've gathered about the Legion generally speaking. In Australia the Army pays you a wage. Then you have to pay your rent to live In the barracks and pay for your food in the mess. I believe there are some other misc things like. Taxis on base etc. After you take out this, the average soldier earns around the same as a legionnaire roughly.

QUESTION
Do you have to pay for your Food and Accommodation in the legion?

I don't care about the money aspect, I was just curious because of how its done in my country.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Some times as a legionnaire you an also ‘find’ some money. I did, and I was never out of money in the Legion. Not stolen money, just money with no living owners.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
;) I never learnt about this kind of recycling at school!

A lot of the Military in Australia is serviced by private companies/contractors. I don't/didn't think the Legion was like Australia in that regard.