Long Range Shooting Basics

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
As ex-Pongo points out, you have to get there. Map reading is a big issue. Grid to mag Add, mag to grid get rid which should ring a few bells with the ex Brit military. Basically it is the magnetic variation being converted to the map and visa versa.
This is not needed on orienteering maps. However as with an ordinance survey map, the date can be quite important. On an OS map the date is always printed (when it was manufactured) because it will give the mag variation of that year and the difference each year. So if you have a map printed five years ago - or more, you have to multiply that difference by the number of years.

OK that's getting a bit complicated, let's get to our orienteering map, which may not have the date printed on it if it's just for a club level, Sunday morning, past time. Stone walls in fields could have been knocked down, the wooden foot bridge crossing the creek could have been moved etc.
Now before anyone says what on earth is Joe blabbering on about as there is an important match on later today, here is my anecdote of the day.
Years ago, Erika and I used to get out every weekend. When we first began she had this book, called randonée le weekend. It would give you a starting point, usually a village post office or a pub etc. then it would give you a path to follow or a compass bearing etc. which would lead you to another point, which would be of historique value, example an ancient Celtic stone cross or an Inn which would claim that Napoleon spent the night in. From there you would go to another point.

The only thing is we'd never be able to finish the route. Quite embarrassing for someone who used to do be in both the Brit army's orienteering club and took orienteering on Saturday morning's as my 'hobby', when it was club days in the REP.
Until one day, when we were starting out on another course, we couldn't find the starting point which was the local post office. We asked a couple of people where the post office was, they said that there wasn't one and that we would have to go to the next town but it would closed anyway as it was a Sunday.
Of course I'm getting p$ssed off with these country bumpkins when we asked another old boy who said, that they haven't had a post office for years, it's now the village bakery and even that is closing down. "What year was your book printed in?" 😬
Good question.
The book was 18, yes eighteen years, out of date.😲

Which brings me to the semi final between England and New Zealand,
Go Blacks!

Last edited:
OP
S

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Indonesia
I would say that you forget all this google nonsense. thinking too far ahead bro. Get in the Legion first then wait and see where you are sent. Also you might get conflicting advices from youtube experts & online experts. Wait untill the Legion trains you how they want it.
nah
I would say that you forget all this google nonsense. thinking too far ahead bro. Get in the Legion first then wait and see where you are sent. Also you might get conflicting advices from youtube experts & online experts. Wait untill the Legion trains you how they want it.
that's also another concern, at the meantime im only studying the basics especially marksmanship since i might still be able to donsomething with it in the civilian world and also im quite interested in the subject. however for tactics etc i only read it to develop a general understanding and also to pass time in addition to working and training

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
nah

that's also another concern, at the meantime im only studying the basics especially marksmanship since i might still be able to donsomething with it in the civilian world and also im quite interested in the subject. however for tactics etc i only read it to develop a general understanding and also to pass time in addition to working and training
Anyway Joe is the expert & I'm the sexpert. I was a long Ränge sniper 😆

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bang on. I was never a sniper but I have done sniper training. And the one lesson that my training corporal said that always stuck with me was that 'the weapon makes the shot, you have to be able to get there, unseen, in order to make that happen'. Your nav (and fieldcraft) needs to be top notch.

And another thing, being a sniper isn't all 'Enemy at the Gates' stuff, I saw snipers in belly scrapes for four days crapping in cling film and doing nothing but writing stuff down. They are mostly int assets, not killers. Something to consider.
Yes.. You got to know the terrain. Reminds me of a documentary i saw, was WW1. They made a remake of a huge tree stump on the Land scape & replaced it for the real one. The Germans never knew it was used as an OP for our Gunners 👍
Even in a basic trench you make a basic Ränge card. Making out rough distances, arcs of fire. Tree lines.. Etc. Ok I'm rambling now 😋

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
As ex-Pongo points out, you have to get there. Map reading is a big issue. Grid to mag Add, mag to grid get rid which should ring a few bells with the ex Brit military. Basically it is the magnetic variation being converted to the map and visa versa.
This is not needed on orienteering maps. However as with an ordinance survey map, the date can be quite important. On an OS map the date is always printed (when it was manufactured) because it will give the mag variation of that year and the difference each year. So if you have a map printed five years ago - or more, you have to multiply that difference by the number of years.

OK that's getting a bit complicated, let's get to our orienteering map, which may not have the date printed on it if it's just for a club level, Sunday morning, past time. Stone walls in fields could have been knocked down, the wooden foot bridge crossing the creek could have been moved etc.
Now before anyone says what on earth is Joe blabbering on about as there is an important match on later today, here is my anecdote of the day.
Years ago, Erika and I used to get out every weekend. When we first began she had this book, called randonée le weekend. It would give you a starting point, usually a village post office or a pub etc. then it would give you a path to follow or a compass bearing etc. which would lead you to another point, which would be of historique value, example an ancient Celtic stone cross or an Inn which would claim that Napoleon spent the night in. From there you would go to another point.

The only thing is we'd never be able to finish the route. Quite embarrassing for someone who used to do be in both the Brit army's orienteering club and took orienteering on Saturday morning's as my 'hobby', when it was club days in the REP.
Until one day, when we were starting out on another course, we couldn't find the starting point which was the local post office. We asked a couple of people where the post office was, they said that there wasn't one and that we would have to go to the next town but it would closed anyway as it was a Sunday.
Of course I'm getting p$ssed off with these country bumpkins when we asked another old boy who said, that they haven't had a post office for years, it's now the village bakery and even that is closing down. "What year was your book printed in?" 😬
Good question.
The book was 18, yes eighteen years, out of date.😲

Which brings me to the semi final between England and New Zealand,
Go Blacks!
Haha awesome story.
And indeed, Go Blacks :)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Yes.. You got to know the terrain. Reminds me of a documentary i saw, was WW1. They made a remake of a huge tree stump on the Land scape & replaced it for the real one. The Germans never knew it was used as an OP for our Gunners 👍
Even in a basic trench you make a basic Ränge card. Making out rough distances, arcs of fire. Tree lines.. Etc. Ok I'm rambling now 😋
Badass.
One thing I always fancied doing was Sphinx selection. Never got round to it.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
But...nah i was never interested in all that. I liked the Gun Detachment. Good bros... i did think about doing 7 Rha para Gunners but i just settled in too good in the Regiment in Germany saw no reason to go. Good times !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
couldn't find the right photo, but you can see a rat pack with a range card on it. If anyone can remind me tomorrow, I'll write about a range card .'legion style' concerning the MILAN.
If not b*llocks to yous, I see a load of people every day who log on and never bother posting, or liking/disliking. So if you are a regular, no point in asking me...
1572104460189.png

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Join an orienteering club.
Good idea!

couldn't find the right photo, but you can see a rat pack with a range card on it. If anyone can remind me tomorrow, I'll write about a range card .'legion style' concerning the MILAN.
If not b*llocks to yous, I see a load of people every day who log on and never bother posting, or liking/disliking. So if you are a regular, no point in asking me...
View attachment 5482
Just looking at that box makes me want to vomit :D

Last ex I was on, last year actually, I took fresh food with me. Heavier, took up more space but man, felt so much better for it :)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 5482
we had bigger boxes. Gunners needed their food. we had our own range cards which you used with the china graph pen (think i spelt it right) the Chinsa Graph pen was actually exactly 100 Mills marking on the inner turret ring in case you had damaged sights. each length of it was 100 mills. This was true because i was the Gun Layer & i remember all this crap 🤪

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Oh well, I’m impressed, but in Algeria everything was a lot more primitive when it came to sniping. The map was the terrain (in 3 D), and the objective was a dead fellagha. I attach a pic from when we were trying to take out some fells holing up in a cave. And we got the lot!

43918127-57F4-4ECB-841D-3E0214A651E4.jpeg

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
F³ck it just call in a fire mission. mortars or light Artillery. Or get a flame thrower ! soon come out their holes.
Download.gif

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
F³ck it just call in a fire mission. mortars or light Artillery. Or get a flame thrower ! soon come out their holes.
View attachment 5495
Hi sexpert, in this case, mortars or artillery was not an option, and flame throwers, obviously not. But we flew a few jerrycans of petrol up to the top of the cliff by helicopter, poured it down and set fire to it. That didn’t seem to bother them too much. So a chopper tried to fire rockets into the cave, with the same result. So then the captain got a bit pissed off and lowered down legionnaire Templado on a rope to tell them we were getting annoyed with them not dying.

Templado, a slightly mad Spanish legionnaire who could be a real life Rambo, absailed down the cliff face and fired his MAT 49 directly into the cave. That got the message through, and a little while later the surviving fellaghas threw out their guns and surrendered. These were all US Thompsons that became sought after trophies amongst the NCOs.

A pic of Templado.43A4CE7B-B0FF-417A-B6C1-F9226A9D0B7E.jpeg

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi sexpert, in this case, mortars or artillery was not an option, and flame throwers, obviously not. But we flew a few jerrycans of petrol up to the top of the cliff by helicopter, poured it down and set fire to it. That didn’t seem to bother them too much. So a chopper tried to fire rockets into the cave, with the same result. So then the captain got a bit pissed off and lowered down legionnaire Templado on a rope to tell them we were getting annoyed with them not dying.

Templado, a slightly mad Spanish legionnaire who could be a real life Rambo, absailed down the cliff face and fired his MAT 49 directly into the cave. That got the message through, and a little while later the surviving fellaghas threw out their guns and surrendered. These were all US Thompsons that became sought after trophies amongst the NCOs.

A pic of Templado.View attachment 5498
YUP... guy had big B@lls !! remember i saw a film about Australians splitting down a 25 pounder (WW2) taking it with mules through the jungle & up hills. amazing.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
not sure who they are...pretty cool.