a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time lurker finally ready

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey all!
Well I’m finally posting. I first found out about the Legion when I was 9 or 10 due to the history Channel here in the US. Which started my interest in France, French history, culture etc..
Coming from a military family when I was 18 I joined the Army as a combat medic got a deployment and got out. Started college after separating and got married; but one thing has always hung over me and that was joining the legion. The Mrs. and I are no longer together, and if I don’t do this now I know I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. My apologies in advance if I accidentally ask things that have already been asked and thanks for running this awesome forum! My only fear is I have a good government job in the US and opportunities and don’t want to be disqualified because I don’t seem as “desperate” as others (from the unofficial ffl reddit it seems if you have options in your home country they might look at you unfavorably as there’s nothing keeping you to finish your enlistment) any ways thanks for the awesome forum and good luck to those trying!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Docfarina,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it. Take note and advice from those in Green.

Good luck.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hey all!
Well I’m finally posting. I first found out about the Legion when I was 9 or 10 due to the history Channel here in the US. Which started my interest in France, French history, culture etc..
Coming from a military family when I was 18 I joined the Army as a combat medic got a deployment and got out. Started college after separating and got married; but one thing has always hung over me and that was joining the legion. The Mrs. and I are no longer together, and if I don’t do this now I know I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. My apologies in advance if I accidentally ask things that have already been asked and thanks for running this awesome forum! My only fear is I have a good government job in the US and opportunities and don’t want to be disqualified because I don’t seem as “desperate” as others ( from the unofficial ffl reddit it seems if you have options in your home country they might look at you unfavorably as there’s nothing keeping you to finish your enlistment) any ways thanks for the awesome forum and good luck to those trying!
Hi man and welcome.
Here's the deal. Having options (especially good options) back home and coming from rich country (especially US or UK) isn't plus for entering FFL for sure. But also isn't deal breaker. You don't have to tell them that you doing good back home. Anyway that doesn't matter because I think they become good in reading peoples conditions back home so what you tell them don't have much influence.
Reason for that condition is in legions very bad experience with people coming from North America and UK. Some of my friend here would say that is just because their countries are rich and they have options back home, but I don't think that is only reasons. For example I don't hear many Germans, Aussies or Swedes deserting.

Those before you made harder for you. So don't be just another who would add to bad reputation of your countrymen in FFL. Think twice and think very good if that is what you want for at least 5 y. Get info about legion and I don't think films, docos or books are good info. There's a lot of informations today this form is one piece for good info, but there is also a lot of BS so you have to be smart to distinguish that.

Anyway if you are willing to answer. What is your job in US? How much do you make per month and how much hours do you work.

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not at all it’s all more or less public information anyways. I’m an emt for a government agency, I work 90-100 hours a week. So with overtime im grossing 8-8500 but net is 6800-7200(the money is in overtime without it my pay would be sh$t). It’s not common to make this much as an Emt, but there are opportunities here and abroad to make a decent living so long as the blood and guts don’t bother you and you’re willing to do dumb sh$t for long hours (idk if you’re interested) Downsides though are the long hours and office politics

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Long time lurker and welcome to the forum. I'm just sorry that your only reason for participating on the forum is that you've decided to join up. It's a pity really...
Let's hope that you will come back and share with us your experience with Aubagne.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I feel I also have some good opportunities here at home, but I’m not sure that I’ll be very good at my new job, or if I’ll even like it.

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Long time lurker and welcome to the forum. I'm just sorry that your only reason for participating on the forum is that you've decided to join up. It's a pity really...
Let's hope that you will come back and share with us your experience with Aubagne.
I always feel a little odd with forums as I don’t want to over do it but I did subscribe to your YouTube channel! Soon to be classroom!

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Not at all it’s all more or less public information anyways. I’m an emt for a government agency, I work 90-100 hours a week. So with overtime im grossing 8-8500 but net is 6800-7200(the money is in overtime without it my pay would be sh$t). It’s not common to make this much as an Emt, but there are opportunities here and abroad to make a decent living so long as the blood and guts don’t bother you and you’re willing to do dumb sh$t for long hours (idk if you’re interested) Downsides though are the long hours and office politics
7000 sounds good but 100 hours a week means 15 hours a day 7 days a week and that leaves little time to sleep and living a life. this will have its toll someday.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello Docfarina and welcome,

if you have any doubts joining FFL better stay at your good job in the USA. You said "fear" this is enough to consider your moves.

But there is something else, if you cannot stop thinking about FFL this is the way my friend, you must follow you dream regardless of your good life at this point of time!

The rest of the puzzle is pull ups, Luc Leger, good in IQ tests, good medical condition.

Good luck!

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
7000 sounds good but 100 hours a week means 15 hours a day 7 days a week and that leaves little time to sleep and living a life. this will have its toll someday.
Yeah it’s pretty brutal I’m fortunate to be young

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Docfarina and welcome,

if you have any doubts joining FFL better stay at your good job in the USA. You said "fear" this is enough to consider your moves.

But there is something else, if you cannot stop thinking about FFL this is the way my friend, you must follow you dream regardless of your good life at this point of time!

The rest of the puzzle is pull ups, Luc Leger, good in IQ tests, good medical condition.

Good luck!
I’m not afraid to join I’m afraid the “gestapo” will look at me funny for wanting to join and give it up

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Soon to be classroom!
I wouldn't bother with classrooms, the lack of response has cut off my enthusiasm to try and help those who are going to join. It's like the old saying: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'm sure that mine and Erika's contribution to helping those trying to learn french were wasted as I know that those that are going to join are well versed in the lingo.
It's the same with the IQ test:

Although it is only a first draft and it lasts for 17 seconds, it took me half a day to put it together. Am I feeling sour about it all? No. I've done my time and you lot (not you in particular long time lurker :);)) have still to get off your @rses and go. And besides, we did it without any help from Cervens or Youtube.

Getting back to my first draft, for those who know anything about Powerpont, I'm sure that you will appreciate the fact that I've managed to print out the word Fraction with the colors of the legion, give it a try.
So why am I not feeling sour after all my efforts to help those who are waiting for someone to take them by the hand and ring the front door bell for them?
Because it's really helped me a lot to learn about Powerpoint, I can't wait to start another job and give a security briefing :whistle::coffee:.
And the prospects are looking up, I prefer not to say too much at the moment...
So I'll now concentrate on my Excel, which I have slightly neglected as of late (fear not, I said slightly).
I will of course continue with my role as a Mod.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't bother with classrooms, the lack of response has cut off my enthusiasm to try and help those who are going to join. It's like the old saying: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'm sure that mine and Erika's contribution to helping those trying to learn french were wasted as I'm Know that those that are going to join are well versed in the lingo.

Although it is only a first draft and it lasts for 17 seconds, it took me half a day to put it together. Am I feeling sour about it all? No. I've done my time and you lot (not you in particular long time lurker :);)) have still to get off your @rses and go. And besides, we did it with out any help from Cervens or Youtube.

Getting back to my first draft, for those who know anything about Powerpont, I'm sure that you will appreciate the fact that I've managed to print out the word Fraction with the colors of the legion, give it a try.
So why am I not feeling sour after all my efforts to help those who are waiting for someone to take them by the hand and ring the front door bell for them?
Because it's really helped me a lot to learn about Powerpoint, I can't wait to start another job and give a security briefing :whistle::coffee:.
So I'll now concentrate on my Excel, which I have slightly neglected as of late (fear not, I said slightly).
Less talk from Aspirants. Carpe Diem. Simply go for it. If you are genuine accept the challenge and enjoy it. Good luck one and ALL.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you live in New Orleans, EMTs are constantly on calls, Hell, before the Iraq and Afghan Wars the Military would place their Docs in cities like New Orleans because there everyday there are shooting and stabbing victims.

Well, welcome and disregard Dusaboss he thinks all of us here in America have gold plated sh$tters. But I have to give him this, our poor have Big Screen TVs and more. They are on the welfare rolls and slinging drugs on the side, hence the gun and knife show everyday in big city hospitals.

I absolutely would not tell the Legion of your income. A Legionnaire makes the same as a Private unmarried living in the barracks with a meal card. The Combat Medic certs should Peake their interest and use the I thought I was ready to get out but once I went back to Civilian Life and hated it and want back in.

I wouldn't bother with classrooms, the lack of response has cut off my enthusiasm to try and help those who are going to join. It's like the old saying: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'm sure that mine and Erika's contribution to helping those trying to learn french were wasted as I know that those that are going to join are well versed in the lingo.

Although it is only a first draft and it lasts for 17 seconds, it took me half a day to put it together. Am I feeling sour about it all? No. I've done my time and you lot (not you in particular long time lurker :);)) have still to get off your @rses and go. And besides, we did it without any help from Cervens or Youtube.

Joe, Chas, LPC, Volt, Mark, Jwalts, and all of you veterans THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Joe, you out in the years and all of us have, some have made it our career, like me 20-years and 22-days. Joe your 17.5 years and all of you guys that served and fulfilled your contracts with honor.

Posers, sh$t or get off of the pot!

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

Hi Joseph and everyone here.
I really appreciate your help, the videos you referred me to really got me excited, I do have an app to learn the language, but, it is long winded and takes a lot of time explaining things that I think can be better spent learning to communicate.
I felt your videos was to the point cutting to the core. I really wish you had more.
I could not get into the Google Classroom, not sure if I did something wrong.
I was also extremely excited about your IQ info, I do hope more people realise the value so we can get more, if you get the time.
I work long hours, saving every penny and exercise every day and try to learn the lingo to at least be able to communicate when I get there and everything that helps is really appreciated.
I want to be ready and fully prepared to join the second I can get on a plane and appreciate all the advice and help I can get.
I must say, I also see a lot of value besides wanting to stay on top of what's cooking in having joined the forum; for the first time since lockdown I don't feel that life is on pause, I see the opportunities supporting my growth helping me to be better prepared while building a life instead of waiting and feeling angry.
Thank you for your great support and thanks to everyone contributing and sharing.
D

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Well, welcome and disregard Dusaboss he thinks all of us here in America have gold plated sh$tters. But I have to give him this, our poor have Big Screen TVs and more. They are on the welfare rolls and slinging drugs on the side, hence the gun and knife show everyday in big city hospitals.
That's absolutely not what I'm thinking. I know that there is a lot of people who doing financially bad in America.
Still.. if I got to choose where to be born I would choose America over most other places. Would you do otherwise USMCRET. Aside your patriotism?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Joseph and everyone here.
I really appreciate your help, the videos you referred me to really got me excited, I do have an app to learn the language, but, it is long winded and takes a lot of time explaining things that I think can be better spent learning to communicate.
I felt your videos was to the point cutting to the core. I really wish you had more.
I could not get into the Google Classroom, not sure if I did something wrong.
I was also extremely excited about your IQ info, I do hope more people realise the value so we can get more, if you get the time.
I work long hours, saving every penny and exercise every day and try to learn the lingo to at least be able to communicate when I get there and everything that helps is really appreciated.
I want to be ready and fully prepared to join the second I can get on a plane and appreciate all the advice and help I can get.
I must say, I also see a lot of value besides wanting to stay on top of what's cooking in having joined the forum; for the first time since lockdown I don't feel that life is on pause, I see the opportunities supporting my growth helping me to be better prepared while building a life instead of waiting and feeling angry.
Thank you for your great support and thanks to everyone contributing and sharing.
D
Thanks mate,

although I feel as though I'm holding some of these people's hands, I thought f@ck it, most of them are on here to find a Willie Wonka's golden ticket to the legion. Once they get in they will do the minimum required for their 5 years in order to get French nationality and then bring over the rest of their family. And why not...

nothing better to do cropped.png why not? I'll tell you why not
I can't be bothered at the moment Grumpy Cch, just give it a rest.
That being said, I have published the video with the audio on You Tube. As always, please open it in You Tube.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's absolutely not what I'm thinking. I know that there is a lot of people who doing financially bad in America.
Still.. if I got to choose where to be born I would choose America over most other places. Would you do otherwise USMCRET. Aside your patriotism?
You know I was just teasing Dusaboss

Docfarina

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you live in New Orleans, EMTs are constantly on calls, Hell, before the Iraq and Afghan Wars the Military would place their Docs in cities like New Orleans because there everyday there are shooting and stabbing victims.

I absolutely would not tell the Legion of your income. A Legionnaire makes the same as a Private unmarried living in the barracks with a meal card. The Combat Medic certs should Peake their interest and use the I thought I was ready to get out but once I went back to Civilian Life and hated it and want back in.

Joe, Chas, LPC, Volt, Mark, Jwalts, and all of you veterans THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Joe, you out in the years and all of us have, some have made it our career, like me 20-years and 22-days. Joe your 17.5 years and all of you guys that served and fulfilled your contracts with honor.

Posers, sh$t or get off of the pot!
I mean I do really f*cking hate civilians 😂 it’s been a process just trying to find something that gave me the same fulfillment as the army and since I was a kid and junior enlisted soldier we all heard the tales of the legion I know the pays sh$t but what military isn’t? It’s live able but that’s not why you should do it you know? Maybe I just look at soldiering a little to romantically but I’m going because after 4 years of being out I’m losing my mind trying to find something as fulfilling or rewarding as doing soldier stuff. But I will definitely not bring up my salary.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I’ve strangely knew about the Foreign Legion since birth. I don’t know how I know about the legion. But I used to write stories about them. I’m not sure I know where the knowledge came from. However I forgot about the legion until I saw a show with bear grylls, but this was before I joined the marines. Then in the marines they brainwashed us and put the platoon in a basement and gave a safety brief about the Butts and not to go to the legion because of reputation. They showed some pictures and I forgot. My friends then showed me the bear grylls show again with the French Foreign Legion, and being worried about my future I made a sub-mental note to go to France in case anything should go wrong. My military said it was a bad idea, but, I tried anyway. I have one chance left now until my definit.

Attachments

• 660605E0-2EED-4E8C-AB3D-0AF32C5EEF59.jpeg
    660605E0-2EED-4E8C-AB3D-0AF32C5EEF59.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 0
  • A630863F-2474-4C6D-A418-2E5DE22D2074.jpeg
    A630863F-2474-4C6D-A418-2E5DE22D2074.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0