Looking for Birth-Father

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I am looking for information about my birth-father and the wall has been too high to climb. I only have a possible name, and the spelling is by sound only. Okbe Haddeff.

The information I have is that he was stationed at Weierhof, Pfalz, Germany between 1947-1949 and then he was assigned to a unit in Indochina, where he was killed. I did contact the French Department of Defense but was told there are no records available as to who might have been stationed at Weierhof during this period.

I do not know if he was FFL, I have a photo and was wondering if the uniform might identify the type of unit he belonged to.

I really appreciate any help that can be offered.
Nordin

Attachments

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for information about my birth-father and the wall has been too high to climb. I only have a possible name, and the spelling is by sound only. Okbe Haddeff.

The information I have is that he was stationed at Weierhof, Pfalz, Germany between 1947-1949 and then he was assigned to a unit in Indochina, where he was killed. I did contact the French Department of Defense but was told there are no records available as to who might have been stationed at Weierhof during this period.

I do not know if he was FFL, I have a photo and was wondering if the uniform might identify the type of unit he belonged to.

I really appreciate any help that can be offered.
Nordin
I don’t know much, but the hat or whatever in my knowledge is nothing to do with the Legion in the full uniform photo! But if wrong sorry and good luck on your search.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
It looks from the pictures he was serving in a North African regiment, not in the Foreign Legion.

If your father is from Algeria, he might have served in 7ème régiment de tirailleurs algériens, that regiment served in Germany after World War 2, and also in Indochina.

If you read French, some more info here.
http://alger-roi.fr/Alger/armee_afrique/pages_liees/3_tirailleurs_n46.htm

Après l'armistice, comme après la Grande Guerre, la situation est très confuse et ce, pour les mêmes raisons.
Maintes dissolutions et créations sont prescrites et finalement la situation se stabilise comme suit - En Allemagne : le 7e R.T.A., unités régimentaires (U.R.) et 3 bataillons ; il partira en Indochine en I953 et sera remplacé par le 13' R.T.A. reformé à cette époque.

And here a very nice site about Les tirailleurs.
http://www.les-tirailleurs.fr/unites/liste

Last edited:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

Most viewed threads of the week