a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made it in

omicron

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Took a second trip to France, but I made it in last year in September. Finished instruction at Castelnaudary and I got sent to the 13th DBLE. Was supposed to go to 2 REG but they reduced the places for everywhere except the 13th DBLE due to the number of medical retardés in our section.

Anywho, here's what I saw in the beginning:

Aubagne (October 2015): 60 blues go to commission every Thursday. ~40 get sent to rouge. After the final medical tests, most of those 40 go to Castelnaudary.
The Farm: 62 km képi blanc march. Despite the fact that I was always cold, tired, and hungry, it was easier than I expected. Foyer every weekend.
Castelnaudary: Lots of bullshit, cabin fever and sketch. You spend way too long here waiting around and doing nothing.

Started off with 53 in Castel, 3 requested to go civil in the first two months. One medical inapte définitif. At the end 3 more left. 29 go to 13 DBLE, 1 to stage caporal, 3 to 2 REI, 1 to 2 REG, 5 to 2 REP. The rest of our section was medical retardés or couldn't swim.

The Plateau of Larzac is a beautiful, but remote area. Takes a little over two hours to get to Montpellier on the weekends, if you're lucky! Aside from that, it's been amazing experience.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
Congrats of making it in and be one of the few. Enjoy your 5 years

Buner101

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Nicely done, congratulations. What happened to “medical retardésâ€￾ (and what do you mean by that?) and those who couldn't swim?

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Normally they stay in Castel until they get better or get inapt definitif. And those that don't swim until they learn.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
Congrats. So guys still get cut for medical reasons after rouge selection... What kinds of extra medical tests do they do? In Marseille? Re the guy who was medically discharged inapte définitif, was it an injury or some problem medical tests didn't pick up? I thought injured are given a chance to heal and rejoin the training.
Things at the 13th must be a little chaotic with new guys coming all the time and rebuilding the regiment. Good luck!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I'd been harking on about swimming since I first joined the board. The legion is a mobile unit than can be airlifted, taken by boat or Vhl or deployed by swimming with of course marching not worth mentioning.All your commando courses will involve swimming. You are forewarned (for the hundredth time).
You can take a horse to the water trough but you cannot make him drink.

You may be good at chin ups, press ups, rope climbing, running and then after instruction say good bye to your mates. "See you in a few weeks when I've learned to swim"
When you next see them they will be glad to see you as it will now be your turn for all the shitty jobs.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Congrats. So guys still get cut for medical reasons after rouge selection... What kinds of extra medical tests do they do? In Marseille? Re the guy who was medically discharged inapte définitif, was it an injury or some problem medical tests didn't pick up? I thought injured are given a chance to heal and rejoin the training.
Things at the 13th must be a little chaotic with new guys coming all the time and rebuilding the regiment. Good luck!
Normally they make more tests if they suspect something. Like teeth, bones or something third. But most often people hurt themselves on Farm or just being stupid. And the Legion will keep you until you get better. But you can ask to go civil. One guy in my section hurt his foot on Farm. Doctors said he will need to operate and then he could return to instruction but with a different section, of course. And he declined and asked for civil.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations on your success. Onwards and upwards, hopefully for promotion.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
How long did the process take from the day you walked in until the day you were informed you had been selected? Does anybody know how long the selection process is taking right now?

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
Aubagne (October 2015): 60 blues go to commission every Thursday. ~40 get sent to rouge. After the final medical tests, most of those 40 go to Castelnaudary.
Could you tell a father how all this happened, give more details about this ‘selection procedure’?

The Farm: 62 km képi blanc march. Despite the fact that I was always cold, tired, and hungry, it was easier than I expected. Foyer every weekend.
Castelnaudary: lots of bullshit, cabin fever and sketch. You spend way too long here waiting around and doing nothing.
How cold and hungry were you? And what type of bullshit and sketch did they do to you? What do you mean by “cabin feverâ€￾ (remember I am not anglophone): I would like to know what my son had to go through

The Plateau of Larzac is a beautiful, but remote area. Takes a little over two hours to get to Montpellier on the weekends, if you're lucky! Aside from that, it's been amazing experience.
Are you free everyday after your service ? like 5 pm ? And can you go to Montpellier every weekend ?

Thanks for the information. I still have no news from my son.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thadeusj,

Don't despair. I am sure that you will hear from your son in due course. You are experiencing what other parents on this forum have experienced several times over. I can appreciate your anxiety. As you will appreciate the FFL has its own ways about doing things. Please try to be patient

Kind regards- Charles 77 frequently worried by offspring's activities.

Coastie2

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
So it took a second trip, but you made it in. Congrats, that is awesome. What are your thoughts on what happened the first time? What did you do differently, between your first and second attempt? Were you told that you could come back, or not to come back at all and did it anyway?