a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malaysian, enlisting 21/12/18

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Bonjour everyone!

Hoping everyone is well and looking forward to xmas and new year. For me it might be a new start in life this year end when i volunteer.

Im 30 years old, 156cm and 50 kg (lil concern im underweight)
15 pull ups and 50 push ups up to date and still trying to improve
Currently working as an analyst in citibank but finally decided to chase my dream of joining before its too late (age wise, commitments)
cleared all my bank debts, i'm single, and my employer dont even know im going, applied for a month leave and will be at its gates the 2nd day i arrive in Paris, will head to FdN

Still learning up on french on utube and from mobile app

Cheers!

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Just to add on, back in July i had a full med check so thats xray for chest, blood test, eye tests, cancer marker tests, lung capacity tests, dental check, even nutrion tests done.
all is well, im guessing it might assist with the med checkup at FdN?

Only thing is that i had ACL reconstruction (surgery) back in 2013 but its fully healed now, no obstruction of movement, went for check up with the doc who did my surgery and he gave a letter to validate that no complications or side effects. think i should bring the post op xray as well just in case

Last edited:

James Russell

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Bonjour everyone!

Hoping everyone is well and looking forward to xmas and new year. For me it might be a new start in life this year end when i volunteer.

Im 30 years old, 156cm and 50 kg (lil concern im underweight)
15 pull ups and 50 push ups up to date and still trying to improve
Currently working as an analyst in citibank but finally decided to chase my dream of joining before its too late (age wise, commitments)
cleared all my bank debts, i'm single, and my employer dont even know im going, applied for a month leave and will be at its gates the 2nd day i arrive in Paris, will head to FdN

Still learning up on french on utube and from mobile app

Cheers!
Are you me?
I'm 28 years old, 155 cms and 52 kg. And I work as the office superintendent at a Madrasah.
Only thing stopping me is that I don't have enough savings to travel to Paris.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
yasuki_san,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck and do not worry about your stature and weight. I always tell the smaller brethren not to worry. It is all in the mind and if you really want to, simply go for it. For it can be done. Simply guts, determination and mind over matter.

At 17 and 3 weeks in 1956 I joined the Royal Marines as one of the smaller recruits. I won the coveted Green Beret of the Commandos without any re-runs in the commando course. Subsequently I achieved a little more.

So Carpe Diem.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Yasuki_san, and welcome to the forum. It should be pointed out to you that the legion is on go slow over Christmas. There is a lot of preparation for the Christmas festivities such as decorating the place, dining room, courtyard with tree etc. Sketches and the creche.

Now for one of the harsh realities; for this the legion needs bodies to put it up and take it down. Even if you are not accepted you will be kept there as a body. When it is over you will be told to come back at a later date or not at all. We've been told from a small few that you are not paid while in Fort de Nogent unless you are accepted in Aubagne.

Why not join in Aubagne? Just one other thing, are you willing to eat pork? I ask this as this question may come up due to your slight build. There is a choice of eating the meal fixed meal or not. As far as I know the legion does not cater for various religious believes. So I'm pretty sure the question will come up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think if it was me i would go middle of January..then they have had a couple of weeks to get back into it.

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Are you me?
I'm 28 years old, 155 cms and 52 kg.

Hello there, yes we have almost the same body type and age bt im sure im not trying to be someone im not :ROFLMAO:

Hello Yasuki_san, and welcome to the forum. It should be pointed out to you that the legion is on go slow over Christmas. There is a lot of preparation for the Christmas festivities such as decorating the place, dining room, courtyard with tree etc. Sketches and the creche.

Now for one of the harsh realities; for this the legion needs bodies to put it up and take it down. Even if you are not accepted you will be kept there as a body. When it is over you will be told to come back at a later date or not at all. We've been told from a small few that you are not paid while in Fort de Nogent unless you are accepted in Aubagne.

Why not join in Aubagne? Just one other thing, are you willing to eat pork? I ask this as this question may come up due to your slight build. There is a choice of eating the meal fixed meal or not. As far as I know the legion does not cater for various religious believes. So I'm pretty sure the question will come up.

Thanks for the welcome and info senior Joseph Cosgrove!

I have come to accept what will be fed to me in the legion and ive tasted pork before, in general come what may from the legion i will do my level best to adapt.

On xmas and new year, i cant budge from the dates anymore also im not able to fork out extra at this moment (4.5 exchge :ROFLMAO:) to make it down to Aubagne. I guess i will have to go for broke, and stay positive, fingers crossed they recruit during my time there, my return flight is on 16 jan. If they tell me to try another time then i need to plan for another trip sometime later. Consolation, at least i get to be with the legion during the festive season and im fine with that :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
yasuki_san,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck and do not worry about your stature and weight. I always tell the smaller brethren not to worry. It is all in the mind and if you really want to, simply go for it. For it can be done. Simply guts, determination and mind over matter.

At 17 and 3 weeks in 1956 I joined the Royal Marines as one of the smaller recruits. I won the coveted Green Beret of the Commandos without any re-runs in the commando course. Subsequently I achieved a little more.

So Carpe Diem.

Monsieur Chas, much appreciation on your support! I will heed ur words :D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, yes we have almost the same body type and age bt im sure im not trying to be someone im not :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the welcome and info senior Joseph Cosgrove!

I have come to accept what will be fed to me in the legion and ive tasted pork before, in general come what may from the legion i will do my level best to adapt.

On xmas and new year, i cant budge from the dates anymore also im not able to fork out extra at this moment (4.5 exchge :ROFLMAO:) to make it down to Aubagne. I guess i will have to go for broke, and stay positive, fingers crossed they recruit during my time there, my return flight is on 16 jan. If they tell me to try another time then i need to plan for another trip sometime later. Consolation, at least i get to be with the legion during the festive season and im fine with that :)
I doubt if you´ll be alone..you can have a drink with the other guys & Cpl Chef...:D

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
I doubt if you´ll be alone..you can have a drink with the other guys & Cpl Chef...:D

The feeling of being in the company of legionnaires or potential legionnaires, im already grateful. I look up so much to all of you. Im sure there will be some low points somewhere in FFL bt c'est la vie!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The feeling of being in the company of legionnaires or potential legionnaires, im already grateful. I look up so much to all of you. Im sure there will be some low points somewhere in FFL bt c'est la vie!
I was not in the Legion but British Army in Your Position i would go too!!:)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
senior Joseph
senior Joseph:unsure: where'd you get that one? Just Joe or Joseph is fine. Well the best of luck to you. Just tell yourself that things get better when you get to Castel.
BTW, don't make the same mistake that I made joining at Camerone thinking that the Christmas dinner is the norm:ROFLMAO:.

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
senior Joseph:unsure: where'd you get that one? Just Joe or Joseph is fine. Well the best of luck to you. Just tell yourself that things get better when you get to Castel.
BTW, don't make the same mistake that I made joining at Camerone thinking that the Christmas dinner is the norm:ROFLMAO:.

I thank you for your wishes Joe!

If i manage to pass through Castel and get to choose my regiment, i had 13Dble and 1Rec in mind

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Don't worry too much about which regiment you want at the moment. Although it's interesting to look at where each regiment is situated, for example 2 REI is practically in the centre of town:p
You will learn about all the different regiments while in basic. Even if you are asked which regiment you want by the recruiters, it doesn't make a difference at that stage. Nothing concerning affectation is decided during selection.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Haha....you ain't got a free bus pass have you Joe?:ROFLMAO: