a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marines return home after 72 years.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The remains of 132 Marines have been recovered from the Tarawa atoll after seventy-two years.

Eternal rest grant to them O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, and their memory be eternal.

Marines on Tarawa.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Glad they recovered their remains to honor these warriors with a proper burial.

Valhalla will have opened their gates for these souls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
IrishHermit has now become the forum Aumonier. This is his new calling. I for one have no objection but possibly there should be another specific section dedicated to prayers, benedictions and for remembering the fallen.

Soon my ashes will be in the RM Garden of Remembrance. I shall be in good company !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
IrishHermit has now become the forum Aumonier. This is his new calling. I for one have no objection but possibly there should be another specific section dedicated to prayers, benedictions and for remembering the fallen.

Soon my ashes will be in the RM Garden of Remembrance. I shall be in good company !

Well Chas, let's hope that you've got a few more Cervens years before you. However I don't want Tom to announce your passing in a specific section which I might not read.

Saying that, Rapace, The Tweet_feed, could that not be contained to a specific section for people who might never read one of them. I mean they seem to be as popular as one of those silly Norwegian's posts ?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Tarawa, Guadal Canal, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa were very bloody battles. One of the housing areas at Camp Lejeune, N.C., is named Tarawa Terrace.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The closer we got to Mainland Japan the harder the island campaign got. Okinawa was very brutal. Not just for fighting but for the Marines watching Japanese families running over cliffs to commit suicide.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The remains of 132 Marines have been recovered from the Tarawa atoll after seventy-two years. Grant them eternal rest O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, and their memory be eternal.

Marines on Tarawa.

Thank you for this article, as a Marine, I can not express what we feel for each other. As Chas Suggests, "99 Percent need not apply."

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The remains of 132 Marines have been recovered from the Tarawa atoll after seventy-two years. Grant them eternal rest O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, and their memory be eternal.

Marines on Tarawa.

Somehow I always feel like the remains of those fallen on a battlefield should stay on the battlefield, a battlefield is one giant grave, and those Marines were lying with the best and closest friends they ever had. I feel the repatriation of the remains is more for the family.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
With all do respect to a fallen marines, I don't think that this is appropriate theme for the forum.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Don't get me wrong, but my opinion is that in last time too much attention on this forum is directed towards USMC.

This is FFL forum I think and it would be good to stay that way. Ye, me to like to hear thing or two about USMC, but not too much.

I'm pretty sure that there is more than ten forums dedicated to US Marines.

IrishHermit (and other Americans, especially marines) don't take this critique personally. I'm just realistic on this one. If someone write more than one messages dedicated to foreign armies he would be slammed very fast with note that this is FFL forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

So are you suggesting that ANZAZ day and other services of remembrance should not be given a slot. At these services we commemorate our 'brothers in arms' from all organisations. I for one respect all who gave their lives in securing freedom against Nazi tyranny. I also agree with the two atomic bombings of Japan. Morally anyone can disagree. Nevertheless despite the horrific injuries to the civilian population the war ended. Military historians maintain that had the bombs not been dropped losses of a further 3M would have been incurred + the extinction/murder of all POWs.

I am often guilty of promoting the RMs' on this forum. However many with experience will inform you that RMs' join the Legion and vice versa. They have a mutual respect. Also they have trained together and fought together. I repeat 'ad nauseam' that in 1956 when I joined the FFL were the most battle hardened troops in the world. We fought together at Suez. In the 1950s' we held joint exercises in the Med. We have an affinity through our rugged style of training. I am writing as a happy 'Has Been' and am not 'au fait' with more recent joint activities.

As for too much of the USMC on this forum. Well with a little more experience you will ascertain that
USMC also trains with the FFL and admires the Legion. USMCRET is much more on line with current liaison than I am. I do not accept that there is too much of the USMC on the forum. Had there been so Rapace would have made the point with his usual sagacity.

Finally I concur that this is a dedicated Legion forum. Nevertheless there have been and are many contributors from different international military organization who participate. They admire their brothers in arms and most believe that it is correct for any military forum to respect the dead irrespective of nationality.

Those who give and gave their lives for our continued freedom should be honoured, remembered and respected.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
With all do respect to a fallen marines, I don't think that this is appropriate theme for the forum.

Remember that this is the MEMORIAL section....to remember those who have passed, those who are associated with the legion, or the sacrifice of soldiers from other nations, to remember forum members who have passed or a message of remembrance for those dear members of this forum. It is a place that anyone can post up a remembrance for those we lost and love.

People will consider your opinion more AFTER you have actually gone and given it a shot. Less time on here and more time training or actually going to the legion and seeing if it is really for you.

You seem to be waiting until the stars line up and all is perfect in the world. NOTHING will ever be perfect. Pick a date, buy a ticket and go. That's what I did, that's what everyone who went before you did. GO and see for yourself IF the legion is for you. The only way to know, is to GO! Good luck.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, but my opinion is that in last time too much attention on this forum is directed towards USMC.

This is FFL forum I think and it would be good to stay that way. Ye, me to like to hear thing or two about USMC, but not too much.

I'm pretty sure that there is more than ten forums dedicated to US Marines.

IrishHermit (and other Americans, especially marines) don't take this critique personally. I'm just realistic on this one. If someone write more than one messages dedicated to foreign armies he would be slammed very fast with note that this is FFL forum.

What you fail to realize Dusaboss is that the United States Marine Corps has a very rich history with France dating back to WWI. The Marines were given the nick name by the Germans Tuefelhunden (Devil Dogs) also when troops were retreating from the Front in the Arden, the Marines said retreat hell, we just got here!

Additionally, the Marine Corps and Marines like me have great respect for the French Foreign Legion, Royal Marines, SAS, and other very exclusive forces.

As a member of this form I contribute and I give very sound advice to aspirants. I can give insight on what to expect, the stress, the physical training, the advice that others like Loustic, Joseph Cosgrove, Chas, and many more have stated don't expect 100% Military adventure and non stop adrenalin. Sorry, that expectation will end up in failure.

Finally, when the Legion lost that young Legionnaire in a drowning accident while training after he saved some of his fellow legionnaires, I expressed great sorrow and I meant it. I may not be a "GREEN;" HOWEVER, I was part of and still to the day I die hold the title Marine. Less than 1% of the population of the United States can lay claim to the title, "Marine, it is never given, only earned." I seriously doubt you will ever earn the title Legionnaire, my money is with Chas on this, and Joseph, and Loustic, and Ossie O, and Mark Wake.

Go prove us wrong!

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
In the near two years I've been a member on this forum, posts like this have always been welcome, there are lots of posts regarding other military units that aren't directly related to the Legion.
Like Nick said, this memorial is for anybody who have passed.