a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial Arts

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I always viewed ground fighting like I view first aid. Important to know but only useful in an emergency. Much rather fight on my feet.
yes i agree but people when they panic grab hold off you if they can. I remember seeing a guy in our Regiment who was a big loud guy, not a bad bloke but loud come unstuck with a small guy. The small guy got him down fast and choked him out. was very good at Judo.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I like grappling as i am not tall either at 5,7"(170m) but i have always been solid built. weights i also responded to very fast. low centre of gravity & solid legs. I can take a solid punch too. Have seen some guys just go on their arse with next to nothing. I think this is important too. you need to be able to take some punishment.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
not one the best fights but more tiring than it looks. Remember when i first settled down here after the Army i joined a Judo Group. I was very lucky because it was a small group with most being brown belt or Black belt. The other members hardly showed up , only just before a competition to get training in. so i got one on one training with a few very experienced Black belts and good competitors. showed me some great tricks on the mats. Good people. sometimes went for a drink together. Good times.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
yes i agree but people when they panic grab hold off you if they can. I remember seeing a guy in our Regiment who was a big loud guy, not a bad bloke but loud come unstuck with a small guy. The small guy got him down fast and choked him out. was very good at Judo.

I first gained an appreciation of groundfighting at a Company BBQ. I was a fit lad, ripped and could throw/take a punch at the time. Then this short, fat bloke tackled me then wrapped me into a ball.
After that, I learned some groundfighting for safety's sake. Big fan of the Kimura lock.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I first gained an appreciation of groundfighting at a Company BBQ. I was a fit lad, ripped and could throw/take a punch at the time. Then this short, fat bloke tackled me then wrapped me into a ball.
After that, I learned some groundfighting for safety's sake. Big fan of the Kimura lock.
Yeah... Lot of good stuff out there. Luck too because not 2 fights are the same.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Anyone watched Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr ? Yeah, It was exhibition match and they F-up with rules, but man, Mike was going for the kill.
Judges decided it was drawn, but definitely wasn't. I think Tyson still can do it at 54.
If gloves were normal size (10 oz) and if judge did not let Roy hold Mike's hand for half match I think it would be knockout.
Definitely worth of watching.
Can you paste it on sporting events?