a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May end up going afterall

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's been an interesting year and a few months, for me. When I joined this forum, I was a drunk living in a trailer with nothing going for me. I found inspiration through this forum, and the motivation to pursue something great. I ended up in law enforcement, and have been working that job since March of 2017.

I recently filed for a waiver to enlist in the US military, but I have found that my tattoos prevent me from enlisting. Nothing short of a world war is going to change that, and as I grow weary of the red tape I face every day at my job, my thoughts drift back to the Legion again

The veterans here will likely think this post is pointless "Go or don't, nobody cares" haha. I just wanted to tell some of you that I had gotten close to that the Legion may become reality for me again. We'll see in the coming months how things change

Regardless, the warrior spirit of the Legionnaires on here gave me the inspiration to push forward and out of a rut I was stuck in. Whether I go to Fort de Nogent or not, I thank you all for that

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey Katalmach, "go or don't go" a few care. I look at it as all those who go and make it, and go the mile who are carrying on the legion tradition.
Sometimes I get frustrated that I can't shake those who ask to go civvy during basic training. I'd love to say. 'you came all this way, went through all that crap in Aubagne and Castel and now asking to go back to your routine everyday life.'
Katamach, whatever you decide to do, is up to you. You've got a worthwhile job, but then so is the legion. What to say?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
When I joined this forum, I was a drunk living in a trailer with nothing going for me. I found inspiration through this forum, and the motivation to pursue something great. I ended up in law enforcement .

Man, as I remember (and my brain isn't burned that much yet :)) when you come here you told us that you had really bad car accident and that you have hard time event to walk, but you trained and fought in spite of everything. Believe me, your story was really motivational for me and after it I really tried harder and make some progress.

Now you saying that you was "drunk living in a trailer" ? I mean one do not exclude other, but what really makes me suspicious is that you saying that you are cop now!

When you did become one? How you did it? How that tattoos prevent you from enlisting US military, but not US law enforcement?

How you manage to become cop in March of 2017 when just half couple months prior you have troubles to normal functioning physically, now you saying mental too (problem with alcohol)?

Are law enforcement in your state have such low standards for recruitment of men?

Last edited:

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
haha no, Dusaboss, I'm not a cop. I'm a corrections officer

They do not have a tattoo policy in Corrections, in the United States. I was in a car crash in June 2016, and could barely walk for months. At that time, I was a drunk, living in a trailer.

In March 2017 I got the job with corrections when I was recovered. Academy wasn't easy with my injuries

And uh yeah, the standards are pretty low for Corrections. I want to join the hostage rescue unit, but we'll see if it's that or La Legion. I have some time to think, while I learn more French and train harder

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And, I am a weak sober, today. Lots of people struggle with alcoholism. It's not a mental defect. It's a personal weakness. Anybody can overcome that, and I intend to. When I show up to wherever I'm going, I will be alcohol and hopefully also tobacco free. I'm 5 months free of smoking. Have to kick the chew!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
And then, what is wrong with alcohol? Never hurt me much (except the hangovers, that is) and Iā€™m not far from 80 now. Nah, the legion runs on that devilā€™s spirit, mate. Or as we sing it in the 2REP regimental song: Le el diable marche avec nous, hah, hah, hah, hah. (With emphasis on the hah! bit)

C07997C7-40B1-42BC-AEAA-F72F51F8C318.jpeg

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
And then, what is wrong with alcohol? Never hurt me much (except the hangovers, that is) and

I think Papillon can't say the same for himself that's why he warns Katalamach.

I guess it depends from person to person. One need to ask himrself couple questions. Do you have addictive personality? Do you tend to cope with your problems with help of alcohol? Are really attracted towards that sweet feeling alcohol causes? Do you like to be moderately drunk (as I do), or you don't have any limit once you start to drink?
Man in his 30 already know whether or not is alcohol hazard from him which have to be avoided. And for some people really can be devastating.

BTW Jonny you look properly drunk on that picture, but not much as guys behind you. :). Still, I don't know what events took place later because looks like they stop to drink and young Jonny still have glass in his hand. Glass and two bottles in front of him. :)

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway

I guess it depends from person to person. One need to ask himrself couple questions. Do you have addictive personality? Do you tend to cope with your problems with help of alcohol? Are really attracted towards that sweet feeling alcohol causes? Do you like to be moderately drunk (as I do), or you don't have any limit once you start to drink?
Man in his 30 already know whether or not is alcohol hazard from him which have to be avoided. And for some people really can be devastating.

BTW Jonny you look properly drunk on that picture, but not much as guys behind you. :). Still, I don't know what events took place later because looks like they stop to drink and young Jonny still have glass in his hand. Glass and two bottles in front of him. :)

Rum and Cinzano makes for an interesting combination. You should try it some time!

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Rum and Zinzano makes for an interesting combination. You should try it some time!
I'm not big fun of short drinks, but I could drink couple of them if it's some fine drink.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi up Dusa I managed to navigate life I was a binge drinker I had sober times but my life was free and fun the Legion was a chapter of my life yes I fucked up but on the other hand I also achieved a lot some of the purest on here that might view I was a disgrace to the legion I say go look in the mirror laddy as the legion was built on misfits and to be honest I would not change a thing I had a ball the legion is what you make it one thing you never got from me was a moan I fucked up I went to jail or whatever punishment and got on with it till next time I fucked up. No one to blame apart from the mad enigma I was back in the day.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
501 straight with a little bit of ice in the bottle neck Ha Ha and then anyone could march with me!

What means "501 straight with a little bit of ice in the bottle neck" ? I mean, somehow I understand that doesn't means one or two short drinks straight up, on rocks (ice). :)