a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memorial Day 29 May 2019

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Monday is Memorial day in the United States and since Mark Wake posted about the anniversary of the Kolwezi Jump, a very moving tribute to the REP and his dear friends. Also, the recent Suicide of a former Marine and Legionnaire and the tragic loss of the French Commandos in the hostage rescue in Burkina Faso, it is fitting to remember our Brothers and Sisters.

As of today:

Operation Iraqi Freedom, United States Casualties
3,490 Killed in Action
933 Non-action Deaths
4,423 Total Deaths
31,957 Wounded in Action

Operation Enduring Freedom, primarily Afghanistan
1,846 Killed in Action
505 Non-action Deaths
2,351 Total Deaths
20,096 Wounded in Action

I also call to mind the deaths of our brothers in arms fighting this damned global war against Terrorism. It has been an honor to have all of you at our side. You guys are all in my thoughts because all of you understand full well the gravity and the toll it has taken on all of us.

I salute you all, you are the best of Allies, none better to go into battle with, none better protecting your flank, and none better at guarding your 6.

Semper Fidelis Brothers, Semper Fidelis

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
RIP to all the fallen. This one strikes close to home:

Sgt "T", US Army, KIA 2005, Ballad, Iraq. My cousin. Awesome man, amazing father, crazy son of a gun. You're missed by us all.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I hear there were two more Suicides in the Legion recently. MAN combat deaths are hard but Suicides really kick you in the gut. I hope with the up tick in OPEXs this does not become prevalent. In my time, 20-years, there were 4 Suicides and they hit so hard the entire battalion was devastated.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I hear there were two more Suicides in the Legion recently. MAN combat deaths are hard but Suicides really kick you in the gut. I hope with the up tick in OPEXs this does not become prevalent. In my time, 20-years, there were 4 Suicides and they hit so hard the entire battalion was devastated.
I had a close friend in the medic platoon (I was Headquarters Mortar), died from overdose. A lot of those these days, I understand what you mean

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Monday is Memorial day in the United States and since Mark Wake posted about the anniversary of the Kolwezi Jump, a very moving tribute to the REP and his dear friends. Also, the recent Suicide of a former Marine and Legionnaire and the tragic loss of the French Marines in the hostage rescue, it is fitting to remember our Brothers and Sisters.

As of today:

Operation Iraqi Freedom, United States Casualties
3,490 Killed in Action
933 Non-action Deaths
4,423 Total Deaths
31,957 Wounded in Action

Operation Enduring Freedom, primarily Afghanistan
1,846 Killed in Action
505 Non-action Deaths
2,351 Total Deaths
20,096 Wounded in Action

I also call to mind the deaths of our brothers in arms fighting this damned global war against Terrorism. It has been an honor to have all of you at our side. You guys are all in my thoughts because all of you understand full well the gravity and the toll it has taken on all of us.

I salute you all, you are the best of Allies, none better to go into battle with, none better protecting your flank, and none better at guarding your 6.

Semper Fidelis Brothers, Semper Fidelis
same back marine. Freedom is never free! it’s paid for by our comrades who didn’t make it back home.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Happy birthday old man from another old man, I'm almost 56 and my 31 year old daughter is about to have my second grand child
I will be 53 😎 don't feel it. Just a dirty old man. I think chas will be 80? A good age i doubt ill make that going from family statistics 🤔 is what it is enjoy it while you can 😋😄👍

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Starting ny 80th year in August. Still drinking beer more than I should (acording to my wife), but otherwise I have cut down on a lot of debauchery. Which probably is good for me, but the jury is still out on that one.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Starting ny 80th year in August. Still drinking beer more than I should (acording to my wife), but otherwise I have cut down on a lot of debauchery. Which probably is good for me, but the jury is still out on that one.
well one thing is for sure your brain still functions OK jonny. :)

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
well one thing is for sure your brain still functions OK jonny. :)
By the way;

debauchery
/dɪˈbɔːtʃ(ə)ri/
noun
  1. excessive indulgence in sex, alcohol, or drugs.
    synonyms:dissipation, dissoluteness, degeneracy, corruption, vice, turpitude, depravity, loucheness, rakishness, libertinism, immodesty, indecency, perversion, shamelessness, iniquity, wickedness, sinfulness, sinning, impropriety, lack of morals, lack of principles, immorality, impurity, unchastity, lasciviousness, salaciousness, lechery, lecherousness, lewdness, bawdiness, lust, lustfulness, libidinousness, licentiousness, promiscuity, wantonness, abandonment, abandon, profligacy, decadence, immoderateness, intemperance, lack of restraint, indulgence, self-indulgence, pleasure-seeking, hedonism, sybaritism;

and a couple of other things that I have forgotten about by now.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
By the way;

debauchery
/dɪˈbɔːtʃ(ə)ri/
noun
  1. excessive indulgence in sex, alcohol, or drugs.
    synonyms:dissipation, dissoluteness, degeneracy, corruption, vice, turpitude, depravity, loucheness, rakishness, libertinism, immodesty, indecency, perversion, shamelessness, iniquity, wickedness, sinfulness, sinning, impropriety, lack of morals, lack of principles, immorality, impurity, unchastity, lasciviousness, salaciousness, lechery, lecherousness, lewdness, bawdiness, lust, lustfulness, libidinousness, licentiousness, promiscuity, wantonness, abandonment, abandon, profligacy, decadence, immoderateness, intemperance, lack of restraint, indulgence, self-indulgence, pleasure-seeking, hedonism, sybaritism;

and a couple of other things that I have forgotten about by now.
haha...i know what it means. I am a Little bit educated

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was Always a bit lazy as a kid Jonny learning but i found out later i can learn more with short study periods. I look at what i must learn for short periods then do something else.. i repeat this then i can easily learn. small amounts of info at random periods work better than Long drawn out sessions. On a side note.. some feel this way About weight Training.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I will be 53 😎 don't feel it. Just a dirty old man. I think chas will be 80? A good age i doubt ill make that going from family statistics 🤔 is what it is enjoy it while you can 😋😄👍
On those stats I would have left the Red Line prior to you joining the Army, thought you were older!