Mental toughness- what is it exactly and how to train for it, especially in the context of FLE ?

himalayan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Nepal
Self explanatory. I would highly appreciate replies from veterans, trainers or even laypeople who have understood and successfully applied the principles to their own lives. Also please recommend a good book that you know on the topic.

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Those guys were Navy Seals, but adaptation of what they say and write about is pretty much unversal. Anyway, they train now young people, who want to serve in military, police, fire departments, etc. By general, they give away a lot of good stuff for free and some training programs and books You can buy. I read, listened and used some of their training programs and I can highly recommend them.

Anyway, I'm giving You link to short article about mental toughness and a youtube video. I listened to that one long time ago, so I don't remember how does it nail it, but probably gives at least a glance to the topic. If You want more, just write in google "stew smith mental toughness". But all thosearticles comes to sort of:
Do what's needed, don't quit and keep moving. Wake up in the morning, follow training plan, learn something- just go and do, no matter do You want to do it or not. And that's how You develop mental toughness, piece by piece, by every day struggle. On many occassions You will not want to train or do something, but mental toughness is built by doing it anyway- and I mean the good stuff for You. And "good stuff" is often not the same as "nice stuff".

Stew Smith on Mental Toughness

Last edited:

hotsauced

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

david goggins hands down has the mental fortitude of a monster. When I first heard his story, it made reality fall down on me like a ton of bricks. I wasn’t anywhere pushing myself to my potential. If a 300lbs fatass Drinking 2 milkshakes every night that also couldn’t read become a navy seal then with the right drive I can accomplish meaningful things too. He talks a lot about conditioning the mind. I highly recommend his book too. "You can’t hurt me" - by David goggins

i would also highly recommend Jocko Willink. he has a great podcast as well. I don’t say this about anybody but the guy was born for the military. He talks a lot about personal responsibilities and getting shit done. He gives Great advice on leadership. The biggest takeaway I got from him is that "discipline equals freedom".

i see a trend from the vets who have seen crazy combat and they more or less say that they always fallback on their training.

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland

david goggins hands down has the mental fortitude of a monster. When I first heard his story, it made reality fall down on me like a ton of bricks. I wasn’t anywhere pushing myself to my potential. If a 300lbs fatass Drinking 2 milkshakes every night that also couldn’t read become a navy seal then with the right drive I can accomplish meaningful things too. He talks a lot about conditioning the mind. I highly recommend his book too. "You can’t hurt me" - by David goggins

i would also highly recommend Jocko Willink. he has a great podcast as well. I don’t say this about anybody but the guy was born for the military. He talks a lot about personal responsibilities and getting shit done. He gives Great advice on leadership. The biggest takeaway I got from him is that "discipline equals freedom".

i see a trend from the vets who have seen crazy combat and they more or less say that they always fallback on their training.
I would agree with recommendation of Can't hurt me, by David Goggins. Very good read and You can take something out of it. I would read his book first, if possible, then watch interviews/podcasts with him, though. Some stuff repeats and I remember that was my thought, when reading- I wished to first read his book. But it was still great book, definitely worth reading- I will have to read it again at some point.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Killer question.

this may sound like a 'non-answer' and it largely is; mental toughness comes from within you. From what I know, mental toughness is - Your motivation, your goals, your past experiences, upbringing, current situation. injuries, mistakes, dreams, and your Soul/Fire/Survival Instinct all melding together and exploding to give you that one last push when you are on your knees.

Or it could be something else.

Way I train my mental strength is I stole Muhammed Ali's trick. Ali used to only count sit-ups once he was tired. So once I am tired, that's when I start bullying myself to keep going. Sometimes it works. Ali probably did it better :)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Those guys were Navy Seals, but adaptation of what they say and write about is pretty much unversal. Anyway, they train now young people, who want to serve in military, police, fire departments, etc. By general, they give away a lot of good stuff for free and some training programs and books You can buy. I read, listened and used some of their training programs and I can highly recommend them.

Anyway, I'm giving You link to short article about mental toughness and a youtube video. I listened to that one long time ago, so I don't remember how does it nail it, but probably gives at least a glance to the topic. If You want more, just write in google "stew smith mental toughness". But all thosearticles comes to sort of:
Do what's needed, don't quit and keep moving. Wake up in the morning, follow training plan, learn something- just go and do, no matter do You want to do it or not. And that's how You develop mental toughness, piece by piece, by every day struggle. On many occassions You will not want to train or do something, but mental toughness is built by doing it anyway- and I mean the good stuff for You. And "good stuff" is often not the same as "nice stuff".

Stew Smith on Mental Toughness

Humility is one of the important things that can be taken from that.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Killer question.

this may sound like a 'non-answer' and it largely is; mental toughness comes from within you. From what I know, mental toughness is - Your motivation, your goals, your past experiences, upbringing, current situation. injuries, mistakes, dreams, and your Soul/Fire/Survival Instinct all melding together and exploding to give you that one last push when you are on your knees.
Yeah, but they talking here how mental toughness can be learned, practiced ect. You can't lay one day broken and awake another day as übermensch . You have to build those stairs in between.
Yes, there is DNA, upbringing, surroundings and all rest involved. But I guess everyone have to build that toughness by putting them in difficult, uncomfortable situations.

Then again who am I to say anything about it? I'm not mentally tough. If I were I would probably been in FFL now. :cautious:

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Then again who am I to say anything about it? I'm not mentally tough. If I were I would probably been in FFL now. :cautious:
Mate have a beer and mellow out. Not everyone can be Rambo! 😄 😄

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Yeah, but they talking here how mental toughness can be learned, practiced ect. You can't lay one day broken and awake another day as übermensch . You have to build those stairs in between.
Read my response again.

Most viewed threads of the week