a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimalist running

johnrobtay

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Does the Legion Prohibit minimalist running shoes? I know that the American military has some restrictions on them.

Ginge N

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
And prey, do tell.................... What the **** ARE minimalist running shoes ???????????????????????????????????????????????????//

Spinx

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Does the Legion Prohibit minimalist running shoes? i know that the american military has some restrictions on them.
Had tried this kind of shoes a few times on marathons in Hong Kong and UAE few years back. It is very light you woudn't feel like having any when running races but seriously will damage your heel for daily use. I don't think it would be a good idea to use it on training my friend.

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/05/saucony-kinvara-minimalist-running-shoe.html

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Hey. I talked with my neighbor, who has a friend, who works with someone, who was in the same pub with a man who heard about the legion and knows all,. Those "toe-shoes" are a no-go unless you use the whole outfit. He even showed me a picture of it: http://failfun.com/wp-content/uploads/29.jpg

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
our running shoes were the old type hob-nail boots. :mad:

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
our running shoes were the old type hob-nail boots. :mad:

Oh yes. We had something similar (no hob-nails, just nails) and some were always longer than the sole. But what can one do, either a stinging feeling in your feet when you walk/run or stinging feeling in your a** if you don't (provided by some nice corporal's size 10). Trust me you'll run like a gazelle on meth...

p.S.: Someone should close this thread, something tell's me it's useless...

Last edited:

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
minimalist running when i was in was jumping in a taxi on a marothon half way through getting out about a mile from the finnish never done it my self but was tempted a few times hahha

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Pretty simple. Don't bring anything you don't want to lose. The regulation trainers will be issued, these you wear for sport. I suspect once you get to your regiment you will be able to ugrade your runners (within acceptable parameters). These type of "minimalist"shoes tho' I would not wear to rassemblement unless you want to be paraded in front of the Companie as some type of "Pink Floyd" and have them fed to the RSM's dog. Wear them in your own personal training time after you have gained some level of acceptance in your section (if thats your fancy).

johnrobtay

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Pretty simple. Don't bring anything you don't want to lose. The regulation trainers will be issued, these you wear for sport. I suspect once you get to your regiment you will be able to ugrade your runners (within acceptable parameters). These type of "minimalist"shoes tho' I would not wear to rassemblement unless you want to be paraded in front of the Companie as some type of "Pink Floyd" and have them fed to the RSM's dog. Wear them in your own personal training time after you have gained some level of acceptance in your section (if thats your fancy).
thankyou very much, this was the exact awnser i was looking for. ill wear some regular runners, they will probably last a little longer too.

buckface

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's all about specificity. If you run all the time in "Minimalist" shoes your running style (and your body) will adapt to running in them. If you show up and have to switch to regular shoes that the rest of us wear you're putting unnecessary stress on your joints and muscles.

As far as the US armed forces goes, the Marine Corps and Navy are OK with them, whereas the Army actually prohibits them (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) and with the Air Force it is up to the unit commander's discretion.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Well in the Legion you'll get a pair of shitty Adidas that will kill your feet and you'll wish you had joined the Navy lol.

Savicious

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm an avid runner and I can tell you that these new shoe styles, while fun and interesting, are not going to contribute a significant advantage. That and you look like an idiot running in them. Didn't the American military recently ban them under the uniform military code? Just don't do it.