Modern Day Military Small Arms

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa

Larry Vickers served with Delta Force and later got a degree in Mechanical engineering, he worked and consulted between Delta and HK to develop what we know as the HK416. On a historical side note the HK416 was originally called the HK M4 but Colt filed a copyright infringement law suit and they were forced to change the name.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Okay not modern but I`m sure @jonny and @voltigeur will remember this..

MAS36
Actually, all those who have done a CME corporal course Pre-90's should know it. The MAS 36 were still used by the sapeur pompiers and navy, so they were taught along with all the other French small arms.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Okay not modern but I`m sure @jonny and @voltigeur will remember this..
Yep, thanks Surfguy,
I fought my first battle in Algeria armed with a MAS 36. At the end of the fight I counted about 6 or 7 either dead or expiring on the ground, against two wounded on our side. Can’t remember the opposition weapons, but I think they could have been shotguns.

OP
Surfguy

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yep, thanks Surfguy,

I fought my first battle in Algeria armed with a MAS 36. At the end of the fight I counted about 6 or7 either dead or expiring on the ground, against two wounded on our side. Can’t remember the opposition weapons, but I think they could have been shotguns.
Certainly more suited for the field than a MAT49 , a MAS 36 should be able to pic off bad guys at distances of at least 500 meters where as a MAT49 is not that much use above 100 meters

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Certainly more suited for the field than a MAT49 , a MAS 36 should be able to pic off bad guys at distances of at least 500 meters where as a MAT49 is not that much use above 100 meters
Ahum, the fight I’m talking about was with the enemy perhaps 20 to 30 m away in the bush, charging me, and the MAT49 would have been perfect. However I had to do with the MAS 36. A bit of a tense situation, I seem to remember.

Mind you, I had two rifles at my disposal because the guy next to me took a bullet in his rifle and lost five fingers. So I grabbed his rifle and loaded both quickly before popping up behind my bush with 10 shots on each go.

And I had not yet completed basic training. Probably my viking genes kicking in 😅

Oh well, those were the days, my friend.............

I attach a pic of me and my MAS36 from instruction days in Mascara, Algeria 1957.9B58195A-C11F-438E-A60C-5F26E29C7A08.jpeg9B58195A-C11F-438E-A60C-5F26E29C7A08.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Surfguy

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Info like that is great , it helps paint a true picture of what went on over there, Thanks.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Info like that is great , it helps paint a true picture of what went on over there, Thanks.
You’re welcome!

And this is what Martin Windrow wrote about it in one of his excellent books on various aspects of legion history:

This one from:

1564232533033.jpeg

1564232154686.jpeg

Last edited:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Live and let die kind of sums it up .

‘You’ve got to give the other fellow hell’. Yes exactly!

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Last edited:
OP
Surfguy

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Heres a Kolweizi pic showing a Legionnaire using captured a FAL , probably preffered it to a MAT 49 .

1564331159501.png

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Great action pic, Surfguy, got any more?

By the way, we also had people preferring captured weapons because they were ‘sexier’, I think. This included US Thompsons and German Schmeizers and Lugers, I seem to remember. Usually only allowed for NCOs and officers.

Last edited:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa

Interesting write up on post WW2 armaments and how large quantities of Axis surplus were distributed.