a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moody, Western Europe

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

Been a few weeks on the forums now reading, and obtaining information as to prepare myself for an attempt to join the FFL upcoming August. Now I noticed that it's mandatory to introduce oneself first before asking questions, if one is to ask anything. So here I go:

I'm a 30-year old guy from the Netherlands and have been dreaming about military life for quite some time. About twelve years ago I thought I had the option to go into Dutch military but due to not having a diploma I gave up the idea, and basically forgot about joining. Back then I heard about the FFL but thought it was more of a myth rather than an actual military force. Never thought about doing the research, until a few months ago.

I consider myself to be mentally and physically fit and have been training --before I knew I wanted to join the FFL-- for all sorts of things: stamina, backpack-ready-core, strength training, etc. Though, I don't know much about military life. My height is about 180cm and my weight about 75KG. I have a beautiful girlfriend who supports me in my journey, even if that means a break-up.

I have no medical issues, no surgeries, no bad teeth and I consider myself to be kind of disciplined with sometimes a lazy day in between my trainings. Regardless of my continues trainings, I do need to step up my game as I am not able to walk 5h with a 20KG backpack in military boots.

Cheers! ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Moody and welcome to the forum. You should definitely get used to walking in army boots. With the good weather coming up in spring, why not you and your girlfriend do a little 'outback' camping. Take a compass along and a map and get in a few Ks.
By The Way, a good intro.

PS as for your girlfriend, she may wait, you never know. But it will play on your mind like hell.

darkwood

Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
That is why do a 6-7 month contract on a merchant marine without internet first to see if your relationship is solid or not. :D And as for the Legion requirements do it in the engine dept. with the average 40°C. :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Moody and welcome
My advice is always travel light
Dump the broad and forget your past life's comforts
There is plenty of fish in the réservoir !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do it bro..later in life you might think i wish i had gone if you don´t. what is 5 years?, it´s nothing. you might even make a career out of it. If it was me i would see in my first 5 years where i am going. At least Cpl going on your Sgts course. i do not know how fast the promotion is in the Legion but you should aim to be a Cpl at least in your first 5 years. Of course this is all in the future pass training first & get in but having a goal in mind is always good...in my opinion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Moody you are from the Netherlands. I don't know how much of a reputation that the beautiful Blonde haired Dutch girls have of a reputation be being faithful...
I have to put emphasize on how much this will be playing on your head. Saturday while you are in the foyer during basic (rare) having a few beers and she is out on the town:mad:.
Trust me you have to ditch one or the other: Your legion idea or your girl.

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Moody you are from the Netherlands. I don't know how much of a reputation that the beautiful Blonde haired Dutch girls have of a reputation be being faithful...
I have to put emphasize on how much this will be playing on your head. Saturday while you are in the foyer during basic (rare) having a few beers and she is out on the town:mad:.

Hehe thanks for the advice man. The Legion will be my priority, not my relationship with a girl. I'm not made for that.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do you want me to check out she is ok for you, put your mind at rest still like a odd weekend in the weed shops having a coffee and a spliff, and window shopping in the red light area.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do you want me to check out she is ok for you, put your mind at rest still like a odd weekend in the weed shops having a coffee and a spliff, and window shopping in the red light area.
never been there but i visited Hannover red light area as a young buck & of course Hamburg :) you get the Lay by Lills here in the camping wagons too. Of course i only drive past them ...lol