a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More good news

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
We received today a mail from our son saying he loves more and more the life he has chosen, even if he is sometimes severely punished "for his own good" (that's what he writes). He also says that he wants to remains in contact with us via the mail he has now in his regiment, provided he is allowed to do so. He hopes that we will be able to go to Corsica, which according to him is a beautiful place, and that he he will have some "QL" when we are there.

I assume it means he hopes to have the permission to meet us, but what exactly does "QL" mean ?

Greetings to all, our son does no longer reject us

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
We received today a mail from our son saying he loves more and more the life he has chosen, even if he is sometimes severely punished "for his own good" (that's what he writes). He also says that he wants to remains in contact with us via the mail he has now in his regiment, provided he is allowed to do so. He hopes that we will be able to go to Corsica, which according to him is a beautiful place, and that he he will have some "QL" when we are there.

I assume it means he hopes to have the permission to meet us, but what exactly does "QL" mean ?

Greetings to all, our son does no longer reject us

Congrats.
He never rejected you. He was a young man that needed to find his own space and his own life and just needed time. That and he was in basic training then training at his regiment and getting situated with his company. This was all normal and went as expected.
QL Quartier Libre, days off, weekends, holidays, etc.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Congrats.
He never rejected you. He was a young man that needed to find his own space and his own life and just needed time. That and he was in basic training then training at his regiment and getting situated with his company. This was all normal and went as expected.
QL Quartier Libre, days off, weekends, holidays, etc.

Can he easily ask and get "QL", considering he is not a legionnaire since a very long time (he wrote "I am still a 'young legionnaire' ") ? Does he then have to be in uniform as I heard some people saying ?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Can he easily ask and get "QL", considering he is not a legionnaire since a very long time (he wrote "I am still a 'young legionnaire' ") ? Does he then have to be in uniform as I heard some people saying ?
He is and will remain a “young legionnaireâ€￾ during many more months. This means that he will have less QL and more chores : it is normal because he has to learn "the trade".
As far as the uniform is concerned, in my time we had to be in uniform 24h/24 and 7d/7 even during QL except when we were on PLD (Permission de longue durée, long leave). I heard that the situation is changed now with the terrorist attacks : the Legion does not want to expose its legionnaires ! Anyway, presently in Aubagne, legionnaires on QL can go in civvies and I heard that in 2e REI they had to go out in civvies when on QL. I don't know the exact present situation in 2e REP.
Anyway, your boy is learning, probably learning the hard way, and I wish him the best.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Quartier Libre, is never 100 percent guaranteed. He can tell his platoon commander that his parents are over which will be of great influence. The Legion would prefer to have one of its members out on a weekend's pass then lose him altogether. Just try and keep the left wing ideas to yourself and make the most of your time there.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
(...) He can tell his platoon commander that his parents are over which will be of great influence. (...)
Well that was not true in my time, I remember a comrade who got in trouble for asking to have QL because his parents were there. It is also true that he had been punished and was confined to barracks.

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Parents coming to Calvi to see their sons was mainly at Camerone or St. Michel. You are correct, Corsica is a beautiful place (nicknamed l'Île de Beauté, the island of beauty).The GR20 is one of Europe's finest mountain treks. I must get back one day and do the trek as a tourist while my knees/lower back still have some give and take.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) I assume it means he hopes to have the permission to meet us, but what exactly does "QL" mean ?
As mentioned by others, QL stands in French for Quartier Libre. It's kind of a short term leave (for one evening or the week-end). You've already been told that a number of times, Thadeusz, but I also would strongly recommend to give your son some slack... Whether you like it or not, he's no longer poppy's and mommy's boy.
As mentioned by Ossie, try to visit him either for the Saint-Michael (at the end of September) or Camerone celebrations. This way, you may be given the possibility to enter the base (camp Raffalli) and thus will get to know more about his new environment.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As mentioned by others, QL stands in French for Quartier Libre. It's kind of a short term leave (for one evening or the week-end). You've already been told that a number of times, Thadeusz, but I also would strongly recommend to give your son some slack... Whether you like it or not, he's no longer poppy's and mommy's boy.
As mentioned by Ossie, try to visit him either for the Saint-Michael (at the end of September) or Camerone celebrations. This way, you may be given the possibility to enter the base (camp Raffalli) and thus will get to know more about his new environment.
A case of déja vu Rapace. Good to see the forum up and running. And it seems you were more than graceful in other matters! Take care my friend.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

I strongly suggest that you leave your dear little son in peace : he is a legionnaire now and you are only creating trouble for him. Go there for Saint Michel if you want, but I do not advise it : it the para feast and your son is now a para and deserves to have time to celebrate his "Saint Patron" with his comrades. There is no reason for you not to go there for Camerone (but book your hostel and plane in time) : the Camp Raffalli and all the legionnaires are used to see civilians coming then to observe them. It might be a good moment for a reunion with your son, taking in account that he might not have QL and that he will have other duties and that he will want to get drunk with his comrades

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
I strongly suggest that you leave your dear little son in peace : he is a legionnaire now and you are only creating trouble for him. Go there for Saint Michel if you want, but I do not advise it : it the para feast and your son is now a para and deserves to have time to celebrate his "Saint Patron" with his comrades. There is no reason for you not to go there for Camerone (but book your hostel and plane in time) : the Camp Raffalli and all the legionnaires are used to see civilians coming then to observe them. It might be a good moment for a reunion with your son, taking in account that he might not have QL and that he will have other duties and that he will want to get drunk with his comrades
I don't want to be nuisance for my son, but understand that he is my only son, and also my only child !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't want to be nuisance for my son, but understand that he is my only son, and also my only child!
So was I many years ago and under different but similar circumstances. No doubt you may have seen my previous post on the subject. (30th August- Re Hello. An American living in the Philippines.) A young man should not be cosseted or stifled even from afar.
Sometimes the truth hurts.