More new legionnaires in 2017 and more reservists

In 2017, the previous Ministry of Defense and the president decided to expand the number of legionnaires by about 1.000 : 700 in 2016 and 300 in 2017, process to be ended before July first in order to have expanded regiments (2 REP got a 5th coy) AND a new regiment (13 DBLE was expanded to a full regiment). This process had to be completed after 18 months, thus on July 1st.

The new president made it clear that he wants to spend money on the Army in order to help fight terrorism, maybe with legionnaires in Syria (?). He was very clear about spending MORE money (which could be the pay of even more legionnaires and certainly soldiers of the regular Army). So listen to the news : everything can happen, but I hope for the best with president Macron.
The Legion is France's shock troops, any increase in spending for the French Army bodes well for the Legion.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
How old are you, dusaboss ?
Old enough.

Lou we don't have to agree in every topic. I think that this extension will not have great impact on new candidates, you think otherwise and that's fine. Base of successful argument is that participants don't agree. You tell me your arguments why you think that this will greatly influenced new candidats and I will tell you why I think it will not.
If your arguments are good, I will admit they I'm wrong and accept your point of view

Old enough.

Lou we don't have to agree in every topic. I think that this extension will not have great impact on new candidates, you think otherwise and that's fine. Base of successful argument is that participants don't agree. You tell me your arguments why you think that this will greatly influenced new candidats and I will tell you why I think it will not.
If your arguments are good, I will admit they I'm wrong and accept your point of view
With the extension it means that the Legion has the ability to pick more recruits, in the past they could only choose the absolute best 1/10 now they can choose more chaps, doesn't mean the standards are lower just means that they can now take the best 2, 2/10. So if you look at it like that your chances can be considered marginally better.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
With the extension it means that the Legion has the ability to pick more recruits, in the past they could only choose the absolute best 1/10 now they can choose more chaps, doesn't mean the standards are lower just means that they can now take the best 2, 2/10. So if you look at it like that your chances can be considered marginally better.
SnafuSmite, I see your logic. But to all hoping to join, this does not mean lower your guard. Train as hard as ever, pick up some French and don't forget the Idiot test, commonly know as the IQ test.

SnafuSmite, I see your logic. But to all hoping to join, this does not mean lower your guard. Train as hard as ever, pick up some French and don't forget the Idiot test, commonly know as the IQ test.
Absolutely, the recruiters have the pick of the crop and will never settle for someone they feel is not worthy of the Kepi Blanc.

SnafuSmite,

No doubt people will be sick of my continual statement, which is; " If you want to join an elite organization you must have the 'Want Factor' and be prepared to accept all hardship with equanimity.

Join, honour your contract and you will become a member of an exclusive club for life.

As an 'old fart', once as a callow young squirt, I did trained by former WW2 Cdos.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Old enough.

Just a bit of statistical thinking. 10,000 candidates knock on the door every year. There are 1,000 leaving legionnaires to replace : your chances are 1/10, but with additional vacancies, your chances are nearly doubled. QED !

I'd rather be a one in ten than a UB40 (carte de pointage pour les sans-emplois, UK unemployed control card). Enlist now (if ready) before the Russkies invade and take over. ..oops, too late!
If you do go and make it. ..grin and bare
Said before in a previous post. French Army has problems retaining trained personnel. Many don't re-enlist after their initial contract and the Legion is not different. Many just want a residency permit and then leave. Don't ask yourself why ?
"Just do it"

Said also in a previous post : 13e DBLE now in third phase of recrutement for an extra company (exclusively reservists, only French nationals may apply)... Low cost style. A company here, a company there and a company every feckn where. Makes sense!