[Question] Most effective way to learn French

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
Hey everyone,

This is another thing that I have looked into, but there’s not a lot of info with this sort of application. I think this discussion could help out a lot of wannabe’s and hopefuls that are willing to put in the time.

Over the months I have used a lot of online tools and books to work on my French, but the majority focus on conversational French, and skills that apply to civilian life.

From my knowledge, it seems that the most important words to brush up on are commands, directions, etc. Since the “total immersion” technique is not something that can be practiced, what are some tips for learning?

To clarify, I am looking for a way to be prepared with the language, but being able to say “the girl is hungry,” and “I like apples” is not going to make someone prepared for intense directions and other commands under pressure.

As always, any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

-WS

GuidoLovarini

Ratings
95 3
Home Country
Scotland
Hey everyone,

This is another thing that I have looked into, but there’s not a lot of info with this sort of application. I think this discussion could help out a lot of wannabe’s and hopefuls that are willing to put in the time.

Over the months I have used a lot of online tools and books to work on my French, but the majority focus on conversational French, and skills that apply to civilian life.

From my knowledge, it seems that the most important words to brush up on are commands, directions, etc. Since the “total immersion” technique is not something that can be practiced, what are some tips for learning?

To clarify, I am looking for a way to be prepared with the language, but being able to say “the girl is hungry,” and “I like apples” is not going to make someone prepared for intense directions and other commands under pressure.

As always, any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

-WS
I believe different people will find differend methods of learning that work for them. I would think the easiest way would be to go and live it, emerse yourself in the language so thatyou HAVE to learn it. Many a successful legionnaire has went through the gates not knowing a stitch of french.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
243 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe different people will find differend methods of learning that work for them. I would think the easiest way would be to go and live it, emerse yourself in the language so thatyou HAVE to learn it. Many a successful legionnaire has went through the gates not knowing a stitch of french
Never really thought Legion Military French was French first time we got to Paris got in a taxi asked for destination in French the 4 of us taxi driver responded in English was a right leveller and wake up moment but we managed some better than others I struggled all the time!

Ratings
964 10 11
Home Country
North Korea
Find the lyrics of the songs we sing (lots on you tube).Make a play list and try to sing with them and in tune
It's not so important to understand what you are singing, just sing.
Most of the E.V.s haven't a clue what they are singing, yet they sing
After a few laps of the parade square at quick step. ..we learn
Check up on some of the words for their translation to get the sense
Read french news. Listen to french news
Slowly and surley

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
Many a successful legionnaire has went through the gates not knowing a stitch of french.
On the other hand, many would-be legionnaires did not get accepted for lack of motivation..learning French falling under the category of “motivated”. It CAN hurt to walk up to the gates not speaking a word of French, it CANNOT hurt to walk up to the gates having a general grasp of it.

Ratings
964 10 11
Home Country
North Korea
You turn up at Aubange knowing some french and by heart some Legion songs, especially the Boudin. ..they will take you more seriously (+ the 7 pull ups)

GuidoLovarini

Ratings
95 3
Home Country
Scotland
On the other hand, many would-be legionnaires did not get accepted for lack of motivation..learning French falling under the category of “motivated”. It CAN hurt to walk up to the gates not speaking a word of French, it CANNOT hurt to walk up to the gates having a general grasp of it.
Well i would be spending my time figuring out whats best for you to learn and not being so concerned with how others learn. Motivation shows in many ways. You could grasp french but be a f**king no hoper. Or the most motivated person there with very little french.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ratings
367 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sleeping dictionaries have always worked for me. They were not of the sluttish kind who were there simply for recreation . The former were for learning and fun.;)

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
You turn up at Aubange knowing some french and by heart some Legion songs, especially the Boudin. ..they will take you more seriously (+ the 7 pull ups)
Learn la legion marche vers le front! Then if you make through the farm it’s a cinch you’ll get sent to the REP! Sorry mon petit!😎

Ratings
91 2 3
Home Country
Argentina
Use duolingo, it's very helpful. Yes the very basic levels are just that basic levels and they will teach things like
"J'aime les chats noirs " "Les enfants sont calmes" "J'ai mangé de l'orange "

If you master the "civilian" French, i guess mastering the FFL jargon, should be much easier than if you don't know a single word in French...
Plus i don't think you are going be giving orders being just a new legionnaire.

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
Plus i don't think you are going be giving orders being just a new legionnaire.
To be clear what I meant by learning commands and directions was referring to understanding them, not giving them. Better understanding orders can probably help with the stress. I can imagine it wouldn’t be fun getting flamed while not knowing what you’re being flamed out. But also, I have been using Duolingo. It helped me get the general grasp of it, it’s the best thing I’ve found so far I just didn’t know if there was anything better.

Also does anyone know if they measure your French ability? That’s always been a grey area for me. Because if you know some, but little French you still need to be paired with a francophone, so knowing some French seems to be equal to knowing no French (in the aspect of the resources they use on you). Obviously the more you know helps you out, but in terms of selection how do they determine your French ability?

Ratings
964 10 11
Home Country
North Korea
Learn opposites. ..
Left and right
Up and down
Yes and no
Day and night
Far and near
Walk and run
Sleep or wake