Most effective way to learn French

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
To be clear what I meant by learning commands and directions was referring to understanding them, not giving them. Better understanding orders can probably help with the stress. I can imagine it wouldn’t be fun getting flamed while not knowing what you’re being flamed out. But also, I have been using Duolingo. It helped me get the general grasp of it, it’s the best thing I’ve found so far I just didn’t know if there was anything better.

Also does anyone know if they measure your French ability? That’s always been a grey area for me. Because if you know some, but little French you still need to be paired with a francophone, so knowing some French seems to be equal to knowing no French (in the aspect of the resources they use on you). Obviously the more you know helps you out, but in terms of selection how do they determine your French ability?
It’s your overall performance on all the tests that count! French ability? The legion will already know that when they do the i.Q test. Good advice from everyone here so the rest is up to you!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
To be clear what I meant by learning commands and directions was referring to understanding them, not giving them. Better understanding orders can probably help with the stress. I can imagine it wouldn’t be fun getting flamed while not knowing what you’re being flamed out. But also, I have been using Duolingo. It helped me get the general grasp of it, it’s the best thing I’ve found so far I just didn’t know if there was anything better.

Also does anyone know if they measure your French ability? That’s always been a grey area for me. Because if you know some, but little French you still need to be paired with a francophone, so knowing some French seems to be equal to knowing no French (in the aspect of the resources they use on you). Obviously the more you know helps you out, but in terms of selection how do they determine your French ability?
I wouldn't worry about the commands. They will be drilled into you, that's why it's called drill = repetition.
Learning the basic construction of verbs,i.e. the verbs to be and to have. No need to go overboard to begin with. One thing that is important is the time of the day. The staff should use the 24 hour clock, but not always.
Also the different ways of saying the date. I don't just mean the 19th of July 2018, What I mean is; today it is.... yesterday it was... and tomorrow it will be... In all it's forms.

I've said this so many times, when you learn a word you MUST learn it's gender. For example porte (door). UNE porte, or LA porte, or CETTE porte. It will be a big advantage later on.

As for being tested, as Mark says it will come out in the I.Q. test. The person doing the interview ("Gestapo") will ask you if you speak French. Just tell him the truth, for example : I've started learning since I decided to join the legion.
These questions will have no relation to whether you will be binômed with a Francophone or not. That is up to the training staff at Castel. I remember my binôme in Castel, I couldn't stand the spotty little c*nt... so I'd always ask some of the other French speakers.

I've recounted this before, but why not...
During the guard presentation to chef de corps (commanding officer) he asked me if I could speak French, I replied un petit pois mon colonel. Instead of un petit peu. For info un petit pois is a pea (as in peas and carrots). I believe he muttered something to the chef de section like :there's work to be done.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I've recounted this before, but why not...
During the guard presentation to chef de corps (commanding officer) he asked me if I could speak French, I replied un petit pois mon colonel. Instead of un petit peu. For info un petit pois is a pea (as in peas and carrots). I believe he muttered something to the chef de section like :there's work to be done.
It's very important to know the difference between peas and carrots. One is green, the other is orange. :unsure:

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
If I may offer some advice.
* Buy a French/English English/French paperback dictionary. I prefer the Larousse paperback.B
* Buy a copy of French Demystified 2nd edition. This edition has audio cd's with all the audio you need. The third edition requires you to log into the internet to listen to some of the audio on McGraw Hill's website.
* Buy a notebook to do the exercises in.
* Go to the public library and check out a copy of Pimsleur's French. If they don't have it ask if they can get a copy through inter-library loan. The files are nothing more than mp3's that you can copy to your computer or cell phone for "back up".
* Join the Language Learners Forum which is a good place to ask questions about French.
You will learn all the military vocabulary in boot camp. But, you will need to know some basic grammar: how to conjugate a verb, how to talk about something in the past, present, and future, and how to ask questions.

Bon courage,
Tom

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Strange when I see American with Orthodox icon IrishHermit. :) That clover is related with your church branch? I never saw it on our icons. Peter is usually shown together with Paul. Sometimes bit ... strange. :)

Attachments

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Just a quick point on legion French, Don't expect too much from it. There's a lot of jargon and although legionnaires understand each other, your average civvy will probably not. When I talk about your average civvy, I don't mean those living in garrison towns.

Even the corporals will not speak too good French, and of course every 2nd or 3rd word nowadays is gourva. Which is one very good reason to get yourself a French grammar book. It would be a pity to finish your 5 years and still speaking pigeon French or using the French (not mine) expression petit nègre:cry:,

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick point on legion French, Don't expect too much from it. There's a lot of jargon and although legionnaires understand each other, your average civvy will probably not. When I talk about your average civvy, I don't mean those living in garrison towns.

Even the corporals will not speak too good French, and of course every 2nd or 3rd word nowadays is gourva. Which is one very good reason to get yourself a French grammar book. It would be a pity to finish your 5 years and still speaking pigeon French or using the French (not mine) expression petit nègre:cry:,
must make it harder to learn if some corporals are also not fluent. Best way i learned German was actually mixing with Germans. Maybe good if they joined a local Sport club like i did straight after my Army time here doing Judo. OK my wife i s German too...she speaks English with Jock slang ...haha. But in all honesty when at your Regiment try to join a local Sport club/Group...Maybe meet some good skirt too.:D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Priority in learning body parts
Qu' est ce ? C'est ma bite
Qu 'est ce ? C'est mon cul
Qu ' est ce ? C'est mon pied. .bras. .main tête. .nez. .etc
The day you are hurting and have to explain to the doctor where the pain is

Learn the colours ( the primary colours first. ..the tinge and shades come later )

Numbers and counting (wages and spending )
Days and months (count your service
Animals. .dogs, cats,pigs and chicks. .especialy the chicks
If after your first 5 years of service. .you have poked more pigs and dogs than chicks = you were a bad student

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
A little history of this song. Serge Gainsbourg wrote it originally for Bridget Bardot whilst he was unoffically courting her. No word of a lie. She asked him to compose the most remantic love song that he could for her. He stayed up all night and sang it to her in the morning. BB recorded One version with him and then told him to scrap it.
This is the version that was sung with Jane Birkin.
Tu vas et tu viens entre mes reins - voila your first lesson.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
A little history of this song. Serge Gainsbourg wrote it originally for Bridget Bardot whilst he was unoffically courting her. No word of a lie. She asked him to compose the most remantic love song that he could for her. He stayed up all night and sang it to her in the morning. BB recorded One version with him and then told him to scrap it.
This is the version that was sung with Jane Birkin.
Tu vas et tu viens entre mes reins - voila your first lesson.

Thank you Joseph..i just remember Hearing this on a Jukebox in a Pub i drunk in. I was About 17 i think. Was actually a Hotel Bar with a lot of straight People in there. I knew the owner´s son well. I Always laughed when we played it. some of the straight(older) women in there were blushing. mmm...some of them were not bad Looking.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Strange when I see American with Orthodox icon IrishHermit. :) That clover is related with your church branch? I never saw it on our icons. Peter is usually shown together with Paul. Sometimes bit ... strange. :)
The icon is Saint Patrick of Ireland. He used a shamrock to explain the Trinity to the Irish. He is recognized as a saint by the Orthodox Church because he lived before the Schism of 1054 AD. I am a member of the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The icon is Saint Patrick of Ireland. He used a shamrock to explain the Trinity to the Irish. He is recognized as a saint by the Orthodox Church because he lived before the Schism of 1054 AD. I am a member of the Antiochian Orthodox Church.
Ohhh. Patrick - Peter... somehow I thought it's one the same. Sory. ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I thought I would 're-open', if that is the correct word, this thread to take some of the weight off of an over burdened thread;the covid 19:). Which I am getting sick of hearing about.
Take some of the advice by the Irish Hermit.
Also why not take some of the more popular French songs that are in the form of Karaoke and translate them, that way when you are in Castel, and you may hear them on the radio (I'm not talking about the PP13*:ROFLMAO:), -I can crack myself up sometimes. A good radio site is called Nostaglie where they play all the oldies but goldies, French version.

*1585628392859.png

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Just skipping though the posts, I noticed one on the parts of the body, 7 posts further up from Sexpert, it even allows you to listen to the word. Try it. Have a look at the word stomach, try pronouncing it and then listen to how it should be pronounced. Not quite the same is it.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Just skipping though the posts, I noticed one on the parts of the body, 7 posts further up from Sexpert, it even allows you to listen to the word. Try it. Have a look at the word stomach, try pronouncing it and then listen to how it should be pronounced. Not quite the same is it.
Yeah not quite the same but a little similar! I'm going to study.