a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muricka89 dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes, What a story, entirely true. If anyone ever wants screen shots of the conversation, let me know. Its a good read AHAH. The red lion is great pub. I usually go once a weekend, with the other half. She lives right down the road. So every morning on weekends I get to through memory lane. Funny. Seeing guys sitting on the bench, all lonely. LOL. McDonald's as a last meal tho..There's a story I read that some crazy, like me, ate a bible in prison as his last meal. Id opt for a verse or two, too.

PM me the screenshots, if you would. They sound too funny to pass up on reading.

As for last meals being Mickey D's: Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait had a McDonald's. Now, AASAB was usually the first place you stopped in theater at the beginning of Iraq deployments, the last place you stopped before flying out on R&R ( aka Mid-tour leave), the first stop after returning from R&R, and the last stop before rotating home at the end of a deployment. Of course, being Americans, we usually grabbed a bite at that McDonald's. Funny thing was, upon returning to Fort Carson after both my second and third deployment, we got off the plane, shook the hands of the Post Commander, CSM, and some other Vip's... and were then handed happy meals from McDo. "Welcome back to America, guys. Here's some muthaf***in' cheesburgers!" A nice gesture; little did they know that we had been eating exactly that before getting on the freedom bird 30 hours prior.

Of course, my last meal in France before knocking on the gates will definitely not be anything American. I'll join up in Nantes, which should have some damned good oysters and mussels, being rather close to Normandie, Saintonge, and Bretagne.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Yes, What a story, entirely true. If anyone ever wants screen shots of the conversation, let me know. Its a good read AHAH. The red lion is great pub. I usually go once a weekend, with the other half. She lives right down the road. So every morning on weekends I get to through memory lane. Funny. Seeing guys sitting on the bench, all lonely. LOL. Mcdonalds as a last meal tho..Theres a story I read that some crazy, like me, ate a bible in prison as his last meal. Id opt for a verse or two, too.

Post the screenshots, we could all do with a giggle.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I'd say keep it to PM, the guy has been humiliated enough. Maybe eventually he will have enough and make the journey again. But with kids and a wife he shouldn't have made the journey unless he had Zero other options financially.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Id join in Paris Or direct, You will be in transit for weeks on end before ever reaching 1RE.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Theres a story I read that some crazy, like me, ate a bible in prison as his last meal. prayer.

Hahah. If he lived long enough he would probably fart out prayers.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'd say keep it to PM, the guy has been humiliated enough. Maybe eventually he will have enough and make the journey again. But with kids and a wife he shouldn't have made the journey unless he had Zero other options financially.

Fair enough.

Id join in Paris Or direct, You will be in transit for weeks on end before ever reaching 1RE.

Send me the messages in a PM, please.
I'm interested in them.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Anyone can get screen shots from hannsenman, I sent the to him. Also, he has my phone number to, so anyone can get it from he has my permission to give it to Cernnunos.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Well, being a father is a huge responsibility. I understand why he got cold feet.
If I ever have kids, then they would also be more important than anything else.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
I am a father too but this kid needs money and eventually one day he will be proud with his dad being legionnaire. In my case i am divorced and i know that his mom will take care of him.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I am a father too but this kid needs money and eventually one day he will be proud with his dad being legionnaire. In my case i am divorced and i know that his mom will take care of him.

I understand that.
Of course, I'm from Denmark so if I have a kid someday I'll easily be able to get a pretty good job and provide for my family in Denmark. No need to join the foreign legion for me.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I second that. Let's keep things private, private.

Murikan89

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well this is quite the thread. I actually stayed at a Hostel, explored Marseille, printed out some CV's, and went along the docks/pier handing them out to the larger freight companies e.g. CMA CGM. As for the McDonalds situation, that was near the end of my morning/afternoon of checking out some other employment options and trying to see some of the tourist spots. I didn't eat there - but, when you're anywhere in the world, you know you can depend on McDonalds to have some decent WiFi and a cheap Coca-Cola. (refills).

My wife was the one who had cold feet when I told her it'd be a year rather than the duration of basic. I had to really contemplate the situation as I've spent a fair amount of time away from our kids already. I actually played professional rugby, represented my country, am a congressionally recommended pilot with a degree, good work experience; I have options (though less whilst abroad) - - and I decided that I needed to choose a route that allows me to be a more present father. I'd rather have three or four times the cash on a rotational schedule in a profession that's a little more mild in almost every facet. Later I figured I'll end up transferring my pilots license over to the European standard after we save a little. Maybe even start a little charter business.

Should I have brought more cash with me? Yeah. Should have I done my due diligence and investigated further? Absolutely. Do I regret it? It was a fair break from the Balkans hanging out with the horde of Muslims in Marseille which, played a part in my decision-making process. There definitely is some regret but, my regret doesn't stem from not joining the Legion but rather mistakes I've made earlier on in life that led me to that point.

I appreciate you guys having a good laugh at my expense. Not much I can do except brush it off I guess.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Well this is quite the thread. Yeah I got cold feet.

At least you can tell your side of the story.

I have some questions, if you don't mind.
Why did you try and join the Legion when you had a wife and 3 kids?
How did your wife react when you got home?
Why did you say "when I get divorced"?
That seems an unusual thing to say.
And did you enjoy your McDonalds? :p

Murikan89

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
"When I get divorced" ... it's like in the same essence as introducing a chick as your future ex-wife. Taking the piss. I have a strong relationship with my wife, and I'm a great father. As always, marrying a foreigner has it's unique difficulties.

1. I wanted to join because I wanted to serve Western Ideals as I oppose the systematic dissolution, or destruction, of not only our values, but our way of life. I'm not a fan of certain ideologies that have no regards for anything except their own twisted perception of their own doctrines. The world is screwed up. Jobs that require physicality and teamwork are where I thrive - seemed a natural fit.
2. My wife was happy to have me home.
3. As I said, I didn't eat McDonalds, but the WiFi was solid as fu**.

Murikan89

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So, a short story to tickle all of your elmos... Murika made it to Marseille, that was it and he's already on the bus home. It isn't my place to say, but he didn't have permission from his... (use your imagination). Could be his mom, his w*fe, his grandma,... But basically he got the third degree and was ordered home, so he turned around and headed back to his country, Croatia.
There it is. That is his Legion story. He txt me, I offered to help him and bring him to the gate. I went to Marseille just for that, and he bulldozed my balls. It's ok, had a good weekend with the gals and ate well and got to have long showers and take a bath. So it evened out. I was in Aubagne that weekend anyway. So nothing lost.
Kant,
Despite the apparent comedic aspect it's a pretty mean thing to do: friendly face when I was asking for advice and then going behind my back and exaggerating a one-sided/manipulated story.
If you're the caliber of soldier and person the FFL has to offer, I'm more than content with my decision to not join. Best of luck to y'a.

Murikan89

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Wait... So he didn't even try and get in? Just went to France and back home again? It was nice of you to go to Marseille just to help him out, the least he could have done is give the Legion a go.

"Hey man. If you want to meet before you join let me know. Look me up on Facebook (deleted) Here's my number. (deleted). I'll be there this weekend." -666

He was already coming to Marseille anyways; our schedules would have just coincidentally worked out. He didn't come there specifically to help me out - absolute crock of shit. He was nice enough to offer help and be willing to go out of his way but, I didn't want to waste his time if I wasn't 100% fakenews.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hahaha... Je suis d'accord!...

Hahaha......

TOTAL DOUCHE! way to go, team America, STELLAR JOB!....

The haughty man before the fall; you're about to get yours...........

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It's not easy to go to FFL when you have children and wife behind. But then again... you should resolve that things before you went to France. This way ... man I was hoping that Big Mac was a damn good, but you say you don't even eat it? How do they let you just to use wi-fi? Anyway man, I'm glad that you responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.