a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My current workout routine

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I cant read what is posted... but...
Walking, not marching, will improve your stamina more than any invented sports agenda
Sleep is just as important
Nutrition is also important
Working in a bar is not important
You've got a way with words ! :) Should have been a poet !

Gallowglass

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Just walk, one step in front of the other is the only technic...forget heavy loads in sacks
Breathing correctly is essentiel...try some Yoga !
Agree with the LPC, just get out there and start walking. I've found a FitBit to be surprisingly useful in my advanced years :rolleyes:. Got one back in May and set it at 14,000 steps a day. I just going walking, hiking and occasionally jogging and have dropped 7kg in four months. No backpacks, just walking. Nutrition is also important, try and cut down on the carbs, especially from processed food, sodas, candy etc. (not easy working in a pub I suspect but make the effort).

After a couple of months, transition to long slow runs and then gradually up the tempo. As has been said before, running and stamina are very important in the Legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(not easy working in a pub I suspect
He's already looking for a job on a building site, there's nothing to stop him working in the evening on the weekends in the pub. ;)
that reminds, when we were in Djibouti, there was a Caporal Chef who (from what we could gather) only used to draw glasses of beer in the foyer. We used to describe him as the best paid barman in the world.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi Anglophone,

1. For endurance; do long, easy runs. Of course what qualities as 'long' and 'easy' is dependent on your current level of fitness. The basic idea is to run at a pace wherein you can hold a small conversation without stopping.

Once you've build a good base or 'mileage', you can throw in some faster runs and maybe even sprints. If possible, try to run barefoot once or twice a week on sand or grass. It will help strengthen your feet and get a good callus going.

Running technique and the right shoes are extremely important. If you can, read up on proper foot strikes and the benefits of minimalist shoes.

2. For strength; do not reject the gym. I understand a lot of peole will tell you that it's unimportant, but weight training, using the right exercises, improves functional strength and will even aid in your running.

You'll only be able to focus on one at a time, though, since your body needs to recover. If you focus on running, dial back in the weights...and vice versa.

Personally, I weight train in the morning and run in the evenings...though sometimes I'll do only one a day, if my body is fatigued.

Cheers

Reaction score
Home Country
England
How far is a soldier in the Foreign Legion expected to run? Is the march for their Kepi the longest they will do? I expect it will depend on the regiment they join. I would concentrate on long hikes over hills.
Shirly 💋

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
His already looking for a job on a building site, there's nothing to stop him working in the evening on the weekends in the pub. ;)
that reminds, when we were in Djibouti, there was a Caporal Chef who (from what we could gather) only used to draw glasses of beer in the foyer. We used to describe him as the best paid barman in the world.:)
Some of them had managed to manoeuvre into some amazing roles, well fair play to them better than walking round with a clip board or a brush less energy pulling beer!

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Some of them had managed to manoeuvre into some amazing roles, well fair play to them better than walking round with a clip board or a brush less energy pulling beer!
But I am sure they work long evenings too. Someone has to clean up and make sure everything is working, pumps changing kegs..etc.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Anglophone,

1. For endurance; do long, easy runs. Of course what qualities as 'long' and 'easy' is dependent on your current level of fitness. The basic idea is to run at a pace wherein you can hold a small conversation without stopping.

Once you've build a good base or 'mileage', you can throw in some faster runs and maybe even sprints. If possible, try to run barefoot once or twice a week on sand or grass. It will help strengthen your feet and get a good callus going.

Running technique and the right shoes are extremely important. If you can, read up on proper foot strikes and the benefits of minimalist shoes.

2. For strength; do not reject the gym. I understand a lot of peole will tell you that it's unimportant, but weight training, using the right exercises, improves functional strength and will even aid in your running.

You'll only be able to focus on one at a time, though, since your body needs to recover. If you focus on running, dial back in the weights...and vice versa.

Personally, I weight train in the morning and run in the evenings...though sometimes I'll do only one a day, if my body is fatigued.

Cheers
I think your advise is spot on but please remember it’s the Legion and a Army you are looking at joining sometimes I think we are looking at advise well to advanced and more for semi or pro athletes.
So what about us BITD not having internet, information or a fu-king clue every green on here managed to do the basic level or level of their capacity on that day to get in, and NONE of us had any pre ideas or information on the Legion or recruitment process we were blind, forget all this athletic/endurance stuff its my personal view you understand the base requirements for the physical to get in, so find a way to work on that so any day, time or week you can smash the bare minimum, as for the rest it’s really out of your hands and your at the mercy of the process ( their is no rhyme or reason) to work that one out why some guys get shown the door and others start their legion journey.
Apologies their could be greens that joined when the internet and web were in full swing, lost track of time😀

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Thanks, I've been running for a while now and I'm able to do 12km in under an hour
Hi Anglophone,

Cheers