My experience

The food was absolutely delicious!! I met an adjutant-chef who was from my city , when we waited I n the corridor. He came, stopped in front of me and asked “where are you from ?” And after that : shit you are crazy we are from the same city in Romania (a small one by the way).

I met a Scotsman during my corporal's course (CME F1) who was my age and lived in the same housing scheme as me... but i never knew him before. Our secondary schools were next to each others. We shared the same sports fields in between... or should i say, battle fields?
His was the catholique school and mine was the comprehensive one (all faiths, though I have none). He was in REC and i was in the REI. Small world indeed.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Marius, when did you sign anything in Paris? I ask this because, as from the day you sign your temporary contract you should be paid. Although you mention "He checked my luggage and gave my some money and my clothes "
Was that the money you turned up with? Did you get back the rest of your money?

One other thing concerns me, If the person who passed on the throat infection was not found out by the cadre or the medical officer, what will it be like like during winter?

Marius, when did you sign anything in Paris? I ask this because, as from the day you sign your temporary contract you should be paid. Although you mention "He checked my luggage and gave my some money and my clothes "
Was that the money you turned up with? Did you get back the rest of your money?

One other thing concerns me, If the person who passed on the throat infection was not found out by the cadre or the medical officer, what will it be like like during winter?
yes maybe i didnt write very good , he gave me 40 euros but from money , that was when i went from the gate to chef..
no only the interview with sergent chef
at the end he gave me all my things back but not a single euro from them .

Good to know that you're in shape and you have another oportunity to show yourself. By the way, Eastern european guys were more accepted rather than other countries? By my countrymen he had military experience?

USMCRET

Hey Marius, you tried and had bad luck with picking up an illness. The first week or so in boot camp most get sick. Everyone get this giant antibiotics shot in the ass. Feels like a golf ball was injected. What were Marines doing there?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Oh well, its Jonny, again, and yes in the old days......Said Jonny......while in CP3 in Sidi Bel Abbes, we were all injected just once, on the right shoulder, with a witches brew of every sickness known to man (at the time). This knocked us all out cold for a couple of days, and more than 60 years later my right shoulder is still a bit sore.

Now, that’s when men were men!, Ha, ha!

We were injected with a horse syringe. A deadly cocktail against, cholera, dengue fever, blackwater fever, malaria and other horrible diseases all east of Suez. Location ITCRM now Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.

We were given 24 hours off and light duties. As one of the smaller brethren I discreetly smiled as the monsters went white and keeled over. Drinking also forbidden !

8 hours later when the others were in their bunks, sweating it off, I was in the NAAFI having a cider and 2 tiddy oggies.

The advantage of a hard upbringing and enduring WW2.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Between Jonny and Chas and Nowadays, in the old Castel we had a series of injections. Don't ask me what, but I had brought my international vaccination booklet with me from the Brit army.

Forgive me if I can't remember the sequence, but Le 'tit Cpl and Mark will confirm, there were two between the shoulder blades. One in the arm arm. Then a week later, another injection and then... can't remember the rest.

Before going overseas, another injection, in the backside. and then after a certain time another injection.

Last edited:
Joe, talking now about that with an ancien (we are schtief,un peu)
Adj Granell sp) line up in thé corridor. Him with a hyer sirengue. ..btw our shoulder blades
The after noon off
He had an alsacien dog
Went off to serve in Laveran. ..so ive just been told

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Joe, talking now about that with an ancien (we are schtief,un peu)
Adj Granell sp) line up in thé corridor. Him with a hyer sirengue. ..btw our shoulder blades
The after noon off
He had an alsacien dog
Went off to serve in Laveran. ..so ive just been told
Exactly, had small round rimmed glasses, always reminded me of some SS prison or hospital worker. I think he ended up there after his retirement.

I'm interested to know if anyone else who did not make it at FdeN encountered the same issue? Marius, did they give you a receipt for the rest of your money? And did you get it all back?
I went around this time last year and had no such issues; I arrived with ~40 Euros and kept them throughout my stay (well, not all, I did spend some money buying things I should have brought such as sandals. Be sure to bring all such things with you! Because they are expensive inside...). I also did not get paid anything when a little over a week after I arrived they told me to come back in 3 months afterI got in better physical shape. Maybe they only pay after pre-selection? Also, surprisingly, a lot of people failed the psychotechnical test (I would say over 10%).

I also got pretty sick when I was there; a lot of people were sick and coughing. Be sure to take common sense precautions such as Petit caporal pointed out.

Hey, a quick question: I'm going to give it a second try next year, but I want to know more or less how much time selection (not pre-selection) takes. Does anyone who recently went know?

yes sure every day we had inspection at 5:30 , and at evening at 8:30 i think
we had free time after lunch and dinner for 1-2 hours , thats only when chef was in a good mood
it was prohibited to run , but we had near the foayer du legionnaire a machine for pull ups push ups sit ups , only that was allowed for us to use..
Got this at home. still can do pull ups at 52 ! Dips & pull ups.
046.jpg

mark wake

Legionnaire
Between Jonny and Chas and Nowadays, in the old Castel we had a series of injections. Don't ask me what, but I had brought my international vaccination booklet with me from the Brit army.

Forgive me if I can't remember the sequence, but Le 'tit Cpl and Mark will confirm, there were two between the shoulder blades. One in the arm arm. Then a week later, another injection and then... can't remember the rest.

Before going overseas, another injection, in the backside. and then after a certain time another injection.
Aye. You have it right Joseph. On top of all those injections we were all suffering from sac a dos burn! the farm was aptly named! We had a sadistic German Sargent who delighted in all this and loved to single me out for the slightest thing ( I was the only Anglo in the section) lots of duck walks with a rifle above my head and full kit! Although much to my surprise at the end of instruction he come up to me shook my hand and said in broken English. Johny you think this is hard? Wait until you get to the REP! He was right! Weeks later I was slogging it up the mountains of Corsica muttering to myself if I was right in the head! the legion always has a reason for the madness! C’est la cie!

mark wake

Legionnaire
We were injected with a horse syringe. A deadly cocktail against, cholera, dengue fever, blackwater fever, malaria and other horrible diseases all east of Suez. Location ITCRM now Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.

We were given 24 hours off and light duties. As one of the smaller brethren I discreetly smiled as the monsters went white and keeled over. Drinking also forbidden !

8 hours later when the others were in their bunks, sweating it off, I was in the NAAFI having a cider and 2 tiddy oggies.

The advantage of a hard upbringing and enduring WW2.
I remember my mother describing the dogfights between the RAF and the Luftwaffe. Tough times indeed! Thanks God for those pilots and Winston Churchill!

Most viewed threads of the week