a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first leave after the farm

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
What painkillers? Because when Americans says painkiller that usually think on Vicodin or Oxycodone. :) But I'm pretty sure you can buy that in French pharmacy without recipe.

Ibuprofen. The average ex-squaddie is probably 40% ibuprofen :)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Oxycodene is a synthetic opioid, stronger than vicodin and the other opioids. Was prescribed some when I broke my hand, that stuff is scary potent, had the 20mg one holy sh!t, I felt nothing. Works wonders.

I got shot up with ketamine in service once. That, my friend, is lethal strong. I realise why it's illegal for recreational use. Once they filled me with that, I swear I was in another dimension. As much fun as it was, I hope I never need it's service again.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Ibuprofen. The average ex-squaddie is probably 40% ibuprofen :)
Nah. If I need to take that I would rather enjoy my pain. :) If we're honest. For some serious pain even strongest of opioids doesn't do job... they just make you feel better, but they doesn't remove physical paint. :)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Nah. If I need to take that I would rather enjoy my pain. :) If we're honest. For some serious pain even strongest of opioids doesn't do job... they just make you feel better, but they doesn't remove physical paint. :)

Your call man. But I swear by ibuprofen and whisky.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Your call man. But I swear by ibuprofen and whisky.
Only drunk Whisky once or twice years ago. Sick as a dog. All the older guys (my age now) wanting to fight.. Whisky made the indians crazy 😁
India too... 😆 😆

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Raid march or any other kind of march. ..
A pain killer in the morning, just before you start
One at mid day
One (if necessary at 15 h 00)
Eat black chocolat for the magnisum and drink water when you can
No aches, no pain and no cramps
Post Shitum : tape your feet
Post Shitum : Ibuforen 400 mg is the current tendance
No prescription needed

One very important trick, I, we learned, wear two pair of socks, one pair black dress socks covered with your regular boot sock. Another trick, take along Jolly Rancher Hard Candies. The candy will keep you mouth moist and the bump of sugar will help over a long forced march. If you have a problem with bad feet, MAKE SURE you have Mole Skin to apply to your feet's hot spots. Also, at any break with about 10 minutes, on long marches we would get 10 minutes every hour, CHANGE YOUR SOCKS! Powder your socks too.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
😆 😆 Yeah should have tried the morphine. Remember wason my PC had taken the oxycodone thought it's not that Bad had a few beers... Screen just was like a White glow. Thought.. Feck sake out my tree 😆

Morphine sucks, does not work for me, don't believe those war movies, IT SUCKS, short lived

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
One very important trick, I, we learned, wear two pair of socks, one pair black dress socks covered with your regular boot sock. Another trick, take along Jolly Rancher Hard Candies. The candy will keep you mouth moist and the bump of sugar will help over a long forced march. If you have a problem with bad feet, MAKE SURE you have Mole Skin to apply to your feet's hot spots. Also, at any break with about 10 minutes, on long marches we would get 10 minutes every hour, CHANGE YOUR SOCKS! Powder your socks too.
On forced marches or on operations I wore really thick woolen socks. I never had any blisters.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Be careful with anti-inflammatory drugs as they'll kill your stomach. Don't eat them like M&Ms... I don't see the point in taking them as a preventive treatment...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Be careful with anti-inflammatory drugs as they'll kill your stomach. Don't eat them like M&Ms... I don't see the point in taking them as a preventive treatment...
Yes... I only ever used them for very short periods. Good advice Frenchie 👍

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
I've been wondering. OP said he ate a hundred dollar steak. Where did he get the money? Did he get paid already or did the Legion return the money he brought when he arrived?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I've been wondering. OP said he ate a hundred dollar steak. Where did he get the money? Did he get paid already or did the Legion return the money he brought when he arrived?
I'm not sure when you're actually getting back the money you brought in but it's probably after you "get" first cash earned in FFL.
You will earn little some per day even in selection process. If you get rejected, you would get paid day you leaving. If not ... I'm not sure you may get something between farm, castle. At that point you can't spend much anyway because you are not allowed to go anywhere.
First time in town you would get your earned money, but it would be probably giving to you by your corporal, or he would monitoring your spending in some way.
So, from "stake" story, he is more likely spending earned money than money he brought with him.

Anyway, the story told here by member BBC have some holes in it. As far as I know, he never actually proved that he became legionnaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Long yomps/marches double socks as per USMCRET, Also liberal dusting of issued foot powder wich we called ; Phoo Phoo powder. Happy days- 30 miles in full kit over Dartmoor's rugged terrain in under 7 hours self navigating. One of several challenges.