a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first week in Aubagne

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Cheers Cody, and welcome, but for your information, there were no buffalos in America, they were Bison. Buffalos live in Asia. Ok, Ok, just being a bit nit picking here, and Bison Bill doesn’t sound quite the same either. So just stick with the buffalo theme.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was the Hospital called Laveran, more than likely? Did they explain to you how to get there? I believe you said that they didn't charge you anything for it?
As for the boredom lads, take a book with you. Why not a book about the legion? Or even a pack of cards, no betting though !

Joe,
Yes the hospital I went to was Lavéran, which is a military hospital. The doctor gave me a piece of paper saying that I needed to get an ekg done and that though I am being sent there on orders from the legion. That piece of paper got me through the armed guard at the gate. The paper also started That I am financially responsible for the test and that the legion WILL NOT pay for it.
As far as did they explain how to get there, no they didn't. All I had was the paper and at the top the Dr. Had written hospital Lavéran, Marseille. No explanation at all. It's a 30 euro Uber ride to get there one way.
When I got there, I went to 3 different floors using Google translate and the piece of paper to find that I needed to get down to the first floor and get admitted first. While I was doing that I asked who and where do I pay and what is the cost. The lady just rubbed her hands together as if saying that it isn't going to cost me anything or that it's not her problem. They did however take my passport and wrote down my real address so the bill might be sent there in the future. I was however admitted under my legion name even though they took info from my passport.[/QUOTE]
Maybe they won't charge you as it's a military Hospital.. Or maybe deduct it from your first wage in the Legion. Best to not ask again.. LOL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Mate

What are the price ranges for tests in Marseille? I take it there is no great waiting time as you’ve already done yours. Also are you able to give the name of the hospital so one can save it on maps before hand.

Good luck to you
Mate

What are the price ranges for tests in Marseille? I take it there is no great waiting time as you’ve already done yours. Also are you able to give the name of the hospital so one can save it on maps before hand.

Good luck to you
H.I.A. Laveran (hopital Inter Armees Laveran) is actually a training hospital. It is the foremost authority (along with one in Liverpool ) on tropical diseases in Europe. Dr Laveran was the first to isolate the Malaria virus.

Which is all well and good but how to get there? By Uber, if you know how to use it.
OR
Take the train back to Marseille 15 mins, Price 4 Euros 90 one way.
Don't get off at Marseille la blancarde, stay on until Marseille ST CHARLES. And before Dusa says it, bring three t shirts.
Then you take the metro to Malpassé and then it's about 20 minutes walk. simple.

Oh my God the metroo_O:eek:where will I find it how will I know where to go to from there ???:unsure:
It's easy, the metro is directly below the the train station. Literally, you just keep taking the inside moving stair case down. Then you you look to see where the blue line metro 1 is. It shouldn't be mush of a problem there's only 2 One red and One Blue:LOL:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Metro-Marseille-ligne1.svg

You want to take the direction LA ROSE, Malpassé is the 5th stop, just look out for St Just and then you know your off next. St Charles /St Just =easy. the price is 1 Euro 85.

1545470410251.png
You turn the roller each time and press the the button on the right to validate.
One thing to be careful of is that the system has changed slightly since I last used the metro. According to Erika, Instead of putting your ticket into the machine you now place it on the top to be 'read'. Keep your ticket with you until you get out of the station. When alighting (getting off) if you are at the door, you have to lift a handle to open the door.

Once you get out of the station just ask the nearest (European looking ) person where l'hopital is. It's about 15 -20 mins walk up hill. You can't miss it, there is a guard booth on your right. As Buffalo Bill Cody says go to admission or acceuil first.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A métro derailed the other day in Marseille, no other info on the subject. ..
It's Saturday and yellow fluo day
Busy day for thé S.N.C.F. , they are expecting 8 million travelers (all of France)
T.G.V. tickets need a réservation

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is amazing stuff brother.
Keep your head up.
I will be heading that way my self in a few months, another American here.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Don't forget your yellow fluo jacket
You won't get passed the round about or the barricade, if not

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I couldn't get a straight answer for prices on test. But everyone that I spoke with ranging from the commandant Dr back at base and two corporal chefs and one French citizen says that without insurance it could be up to 150 euros but probably no more than 60. The process from start to finish was very quick I spent no more than 2 1/2 hours at the hospital and would have been quicker if I knew that I needed to go to admissions first. Everyone there was very helpful. The hospital is called Lavéran in Marrsille. But you need paper work to get in because it's a military hospital.

Thanks! Hopefully you take it easy for the rest of the weekend and aren’t too nervous about finding out your fate.

Once again good luck.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
H.I.A. Laveran (hopital Inter Armees Laveran) is actually a training hospital. It is the foremost authority (along with one in Liverpool ) on tropical diseases in Europe. Dr Laveran was the first to isolate the Malaria virus.

Which is all well and good but how to get there? By Uber, if you know how to use it.
OR
Take the train back to Marseille 15 mins, Price 4 Euros 90 one way.
Don't get off at Marseille la blancarde, stay on until Marseille ST CHARLES. And before Dusa says it, bring three t shirts.
Then you take the metro to Malpassé and then it's about 20 minutes walk. simple.

Oh my God the metroo_O:eek:where will I find it how will I know where to go to from there ???:unsure:
It's easy, the metro is directly below the the train station. Literally, you just keep taking the inside moving stair case down. Then you you look to see where the blue line metro 1 is. It shouldn't be mush of a problem there's only 2 One red and One Blue:LOL:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Metro-Marseille-ligne1.svg

You want to take the direction LA ROSE, Malpassé is the 5th stop, just look out for St Just and then you know your off next. St Charles /St Just =easy. the price is 1 Euro 85.

View attachment 4329
You turn the roller each time and press the the button on the right to validate.
One thing to be careful of is that the system has changed slightly since I last used the metro. According to Erika, Instead of putting your ticket into the machine you now place it on the top to be 'read'. Keep your ticket with you until you get out of the station. When alighting (getting off) if you are at the door, you have to lift a handle to open the door.

Once you get out of the station just ask the nearest (European looking ) person where l'hopital is. It's about 15 -20 mins walk up hill. You can't miss it, there is a guard booth on your right. As Buffalo Bill Cody says go to admission or acceuil first.

Thank you.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I used to drive down to Laveron Alfonso hospital often ( bus), once or twice per month. ..from 2 REI Nîmes, 140 kms approx
Laveran, is a semi militaire / civil hospital
You still have a guard house to pass thru. .especialy at nights
Watch your wallet
Lots of REP guys with broken arses getten Rehab, etc

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Lots of REP guys with broken arses getten Rehab, etc
That's true, perhaps not broken arses, but broken limbs. And why laveran, when the REP has the most sophisticated operating, yes operating, theater of all the legion units? Because of a lack of physiotherapists. And as always, I kid you not.
Being a legion medic, I would have to work periodically in the infirmary- a kind of continuation training. I asked the médecin en chef why it was that they sent legionnaires to Laveran for physio when there was a fully kitted out physio gym in the infirmerie complex. He said that because of the regiment's budget and T.E.D. (regimental effective) there was no place for a physio. So instead you were sent by ferry to the mainland and then to laveran.
For my hand which got bust up in Chad, I was operated on in the foyer of the base épervier ( a type of bird of prey) in Central Republic of Africa.

Before anyone sums up images of me being rushed into the foyer whilst people are pushing aside empty beer bottles to make room on a beer and coffee stained table for me to operated on. Let me just explain that the mobile medical team (army regular) from Chad had already been flown in and had set up office in the foyer, What we were doing there is another story, and besides it's Christmas.

This is leading to a point. The surgeon who operated on me was from HIA in Toulouse. So when we won the war :rolleyes: and everything was calm I had to go back to see her in Toulouse to have the pins removed. She had to re-break my fingers because they had not set right. Great. I was to spend a year with these pins in my fingers and then have re-education.

Get to the f*cking point. I then spent a month in a navy military hospital having one hour a day's re-education. In the end one of the fingers never recovered correctly and I was thrown out of the REP like a mechanic throws out a greasy soiled rag. Nah, I just wanted to make myself out to be interesting:sneaky:. I was inapt TAP (parachuting) definative. However I was kept on in the 3rd Compagnie (de combat) until a place was available to send me to 5 RE. The idea being that I'd do my two years there and then only have 6 months left to finish off until my retirement.

However that was not to be...:oops:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Post Shitum
Waiting for Mark to throw a wobbler

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Marines are marines
Paras are Paras
Infintary are info. ..and we know it all
But who are the Boots? .serious question, btw

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Morning Cpl expect some incoming from Mark. Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you and yours,:giggle:

Laddie had his first interview with the sgt recruter last thursday, it went well ( office near the 13 DBLE Rodez) (9 month wait. and 2 nd on the 7 th of Jan, then physical in Bordeaux. ..all at my expense, btw)
We are asking for the Genie / Pioneers / Engineers. ..
Because, as you and i, and Mark can testify. ..there ain't much wanting for. ...
Ex Marines
Ex Paras
Ex Infantery
Fact

Asking
Is 13 DBLE. ..now a regiment or still half a brigade?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Laddie had his first interview with the sgt recruter last thursday, it went well ( office near the 13 DBLE Rodez) (9 month wait. and 2 nd on the 7 th of Jan, then physical in Bordeaux. ..all at my expense, btw)
We are asking for the Genie / Pioneers / Engineers. ..
Because, as you and i, and Mark can testify. ..there ain't much wanting for. ...
Ex Marines
Ex Paras
Ex Infantery
Fact

Asking
Is 13 DBLE. ..now a regiment or still half a brigade?

A trade is the best thing now to be gained from a military career. Glory boys do not have much to offer when they leave.
Only good as I can testify to is BS about derring do.:unsure:;);)