a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first week in Aubagne

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Is there a number on the wings?
Am replying with the help of an Ancien para
108 125 brevet para
55 / 57
If you know his army matricule. ..
It might help
One thing he is sure of, ...it's à Colo Marine
Something pertrubed him, ...
I will try tomorrow

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Okay, cool
Matricule militaire and matricule para
Years of service
Might be worth your while to check with the Ministère de Défense and the Anciens combattants association
They will tell you more
Might be the case that Papy hasn't recieved the medals or pension (medical) he deserved
In France ..they call it a "debt de l' etat)
If it was dued, it must be paid

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It doesn't give me option to pm you, could you pm me perhaps so can give you the number there. We will also try get hold of them as you suggest

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Did speak to rapace abit already. Will see if caporal comes back with anything and get in touch with those he recommended. Will see if the consulate has any info to.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There is info on that badge online connecting it to both the marines and legion so more would be needed, he had his wings too, that was the same as legions not sure if army had same badge in use. His uniform etc is in France so cannot check what else is there.

This is intresting. ...

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Whahahaha that's f*cked up, people fought and died for having the honor to put that on their heads and now people are selling them. I used to get my a$$ whipped when I was small and tried to play with that beret. Everything had a place and was not to be touched

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Check out in french
Parachutistes beret insignes
If i understand all or just bits
Are herieters of the 2 RCP. ..disbanded before your Papy served
Amalagates with the 1 RCP

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Yes I did read up on that abit, some interesting stories, that's why I said there was alot of movement etc back then. Hard to follow who went where and that, I think the most solid answers we will get from the military, my family is going to find out who to contact and give them all the information we have. Sorry Cody for hijacking this thread abit. Was Not intended. Looking forward to hear about the progress you've made must be intense

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Régiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes (French: Airborne Infantry Regiment)?
R C P = regiment chasseurs parachutiste
Or if you prefer. ..the parachutists hunters regiment
Air borne is by far too much americanised / generic and nothing to do with the subject

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes I did read up on that abit, some interesting stories, that's why I said there was alot of movement etc back then. Hard to follow who went where and that, I think the most solid answers we will get from the military, my family is going to find out who to contact and give them all the information we have. Sorry Cody for hijacking this thread abit. Was Not intended. Looking forward to hear about the progress you've made must be intense

Most units at the time were bats or half bats
Needed their dessolution to create the eventual full bats or brigades and regiments
We are talking about, from 43 to 63
Algeria Indochine Hollande etc, in between

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The fighting back then was very brutal from what I've heard, regardless of reg and that, the guys that were involved went through crazy things, I'm not sure many people these days could do the same. Different times breed different minds I guess. But massive respect to all of them. I read abit about the creation of new sections back then. It's so much, I read one thing that makes me read something else and it just doesn't end. There is so much, and I'm sure alot more that we will never know