a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING My introduction and a couple of questions

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Hello, im Francisco or "frankie". Im 21yrs old from Argentina, Buenos Aires province (not the city). I practice boxing and play football/soccer as hobby. Since i finished school i´ve been working on a craft beer factory until last december.
I tried to join the military of my country but they wont let me in because i have tattoos. When they told me i couldnt join beacuse of the ink i started looking on the internet how could i get them removed and i found that they actually can be erased with laser. Unfortunately for me, laser is expensive as f*ck considering my salary was of 300-400usd working 12hr a day.. (no vacations). Laser was not an option to my pocket so i continued my search and i found the legion.. never been more happy in my life. I get to serve and keep my tattoos hehe.
Im not gonna lie, i would have loved to serve my home country but i feel the same for the legion, even though is different.
So now a couple of questions.
regarding the physical, im currently running 8km in 39-40mins, i can do 50 well done push ups (chest to the floor and fully extended arms) and 12 well done pull ups (chin to the bar and fully extended arms) is this fine to pass selection and castel? ive read a lot on the internet and i dont know what to believe at this point so i will choose to believe you.
regarding the medical, i got a surgery in my shoulder in 2016 because it popped out playing rugby. it is healed, never gave me a problem again. should i take a medical certificate of this? or they will examinate over there?
I am traveling the last days of july so if my running or something with the phyisical is bad i have time to get it better. (you tell me)
I understand that to join the most important thing is to have a strong head (psychologically) and that aint no problem for me, im 100% motivated.
i love to work hard and i can complete any task they ask me to do.
Please correct me if this isn´t the correct place or section of the forum to post this and sorry if my english is not very good!! im more focused on learning french hehe.
Thanks for taking the time and reading this and i hope you can help me with those little questions. I promise a couple of beers in france to the best answer 🤟

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I think you're good, man! Physically you aren't far from me. I have 13 pull ups, 38 mins 8km, and 62 push ups. Your advantage is being 3 years younger, this is good. From what I gather, your numbers are good for a candidate. Maybe do more push ups, and run a little faster, but do not injure yourself. You have time, so why not shoot for 60 push ups? 35 minute 8k?

For medical, my understanding is that if it leaves no scar, no visible damages, or hinders you, you will be fine. I wouldn't bring it up unless you have all that, in which case being the documents.

You seem like you have a good head on the shoulders, I wish you luck warrior. Bonne chance, and welcome to the forum 😁

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
I think you're good, man! Physically you aren't far from me. I have 13 pull ups, 38 mins 8km, and 62 push ups. Your advantage is being 3 years younger, this is good. From what I gather, your numbers are good for a candidate. Maybe do more push ups, and run a little faster, but do not injure yourself. You have time, so why not shoot for 60 push ups? 35 minute 8k?

For medical, my understanding is that if it leaves no scar, no visible damages, or hinders you, you will be fine. I wouldn't bring it up unless you have all that, in which case being the documents.

You seem like you have a good head on the shoulders, I wish you luck warrior. Bonne chance, and welcome to the forum 😁

Thanks for the answer man. I will push it harder on the phyisical then. progressive though.. plane ticket wasnt cheap haha, i dont wanna lose that bird for an injury. Specially because the economy of my country is f*cked up and it will take me sometime to save that money again. but well.. you gotta risk it to get the biscuit. thanks again man. goodluck to you too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the answer man. I will push it harder on the phyisical then. progressive though.. plane ticket wasnt cheap haha, i dont wanna lose that bird for an injury. Specially because the economy of my country is fucked up and it will take me sometime to save that money again. but well.. you gotta risk it to get the biscuit. thanks again man. goodluck to you too.
You have a plan and a deadline. Train hard, take care of your body, and keep your nose clean. I look forward to hearing that you have made it to France, and should the legion decide, to hear that you have earned Le Kepi Blanc.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Frankie and welcome to the forum. Contrary to what A_Wanderer says, I would advice you to not overdo it on the physical side. You have to let the legion have something to work on. Don't forget to practice the luc Leger. There is also a swimming test and the I.Q. test. You should practice the latter (I.Q) as it is equally important.
As for the shoulder, take any medical records, x-ray etc with you. There will be a medical questionnaire that you will have to fill in before going to see the doctor, so you will have no choice but to tell him. If you do not have an x ray then you have to weigh up the price of having one done in Argentina or France.

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Hi Joseph Cosgrove, thanks for the advice. i appreciate it. Im training the beep test almost every weekend, im not training any swimming though.. I read that is a very simple test if you know how to swim hehe, please correct me if im wrong. I´ve found some links and videos to practice for the I.Q. test here in the forum so im working on that. Regarding the shoulder i will get an x ray done here in Argentina and i will get the medical certification also.
Again, thanks a lot for the advice. Have a nice day.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well apart from teeth, it looks as though your are all ready.
Get yourself ready and then go.

the best of luck to you.