a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING My introduction

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
I wanted to join this site for a while now but I wasn't able to for some reason or another but I finally managed it!

Joe Cosgrove is actually the person that told me about this forums so big thanks to you Joe!

But for my introduction now... I'm a South African that comes from a long line of military men so it just feels right for me to also join the military, unfortunately South Africa's military is in poor shape and actually the country as a whole. I remember my father told me about the French Foreign Legion when I was young and since then it stuck to me.

I'm currently 18 finished school a few months ago I'm planning on joining the legion in June or July of 2021, the reason I wanna join then and not now is I want to take a few months to improve my French and also to be able to work on my fitness more so when the time comes I'll be in the best shape possible to maximize my chances of getting accepted into the Legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Saffie, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you took my advise and joined the forum :unsure: . perhaps you could remind me of the occasion?
No matter, it's good to have another Safa on the forum, SnafuSmite was feeling a bit lonely there for a while ;).
I'm glad that you're taking learning French seriously, it will help later on in your career. Also you don't want to be another of those who have served in the legion for 5 years and "parlent le francais come une vache espagnol" Speak French like a Spanish cow. *
Your reasons sound valid for wanting to join the legion, although I wouldn't slag down your own army too much. If the 'gestapo' should broach you on the subject then by all means agree with him.

* not so silly French expression. Let know if anyone is interested in learning where it comes.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Thank you Joe!

We started talking on quora a few months ago and you told me to join cervens... You also told me not to give out my name and things like that on the forum so I think you know who I am now?lol

"Speak French like a learning cow " basically sums up my French skills at the moment!😹

I don't know Joe our army is something else... 20 years ago we had on of the strongest army's in the world but nowadays? Not so much...

One of our army bases littraly got they're power and water cut cause they didn't pay the bill... I mean that just isn't right. That was recently think about 2 months ago that happend? But then I also have to say I have a few friends in there that say things are changing and they're getting there sh$t together but Idk Joe...

And please tell me where that French expression comes from I find it hilarious!😹

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Ja, no....look our defence force is in a shamble at the moment. Overstretched and underfunded with equipment from the 80s, with more and more deployments to the Congo etc. And unless you are politically connected good luck getting promoted as an officer.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Ja, no....look our defence force is in a shamble at the moment. Overstretched and underfunded with equipment from the 80s, with more and more deployments to the Congo etc. And unless you are politically connected good luck getting promoted as an officer.
Yeah no it's bad but a few of my friends are in at the moment, they say it's slowly getting better but to be honest I don't have any faith in the goverment... They also have a comming deployment in the next few months to Mozambique(terrorists there) and that will only thin them out even more.
Apparently they're working on a anti terrorist unit and it's gonna be the first of its kind in our military but only time will tell if they are any good or if it's just another way to steal funds...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
And please tell me where that French expression comes from
"hablar un francés macarrónico", in Spanish. Parler comme une vache francaise,
dates back to 17th century. It is the evolution of the word Vasque which designated someone from the Gascony or Basque region. The latter on the border (French side) and the former straddling the two countries. Both were said to speak a mixture of French and Spanish.

Which brings me to the code d'honneur du légionnaire which I will translate and dissect (the verbs) and give some tips on how to remember it in my video:
Job offer: French foreign Legionnaire supplementary video
That I will be bringing out on the December 29.
If anyone has any topics that they would like me to discuss, I'm open to all offers.

And before anyone thinks that I'm making money from this - I'm not.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
"hablar un francés macarrónico", in Spanish. Parler comme une vache francaise,
dates back to 17th century. It is the evolution of the word Vasque which designated someone from the Gascony or Basque region. The latter on the border (French side) and the former straddling the two countries. Both were said to speak a mixture of French and Spanish.

Which brings me to the code d'honneur du légionnaire which I will translate and dissect (the verbs) and give some tips on how to remember it in my video:
Job offer: French foreign Legionnaire supplementary video
That I will be bringing out on the December 29.
If anyone has any topics that they would like me to discuss, I'm open to all offers.

And before anyone thinks that I'm making money from this - I'm not.
That's good information to know thank you Joe!

And I'll certainly watch the video!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Saffie 123,

A belated welcome. Enjoy the forum and good luck.
Remember I am full of 'Inkusi' Zulu for bull.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
French and french again... forget your English or Spanish (it serves you nowt in your initial contract)
You have been told

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Well in December last year I thought of joining in June,July. (covid was dying down a little and the borders opened again)Since then covid has been on the rise and borders are closed again so I'm looking at joining in December if covid would allow that.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Well in December last year I thought of joining in June,July. (covid was dying down a little and the borders opened again)Since then covid has been on the rise and borders are closed again so I'm looking at joining in December if covid would allow that.
Currently starting daily French classes from the first of next month and working on my fitness till then.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
If you get vaccinated...keep the proof
Nowt much in the Legion is going to happen before June at least
Frustrating for sure bit we are all in the same boat
Fitness and learning french in the mean time
LPC

Most viewed threads of the week