a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My try this Wednesday Aubagne.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I got 5. I think he was also trying to say to me I’m to old and weigh to much also. 39 5’9 230lbs.
Well the age should be okay as long as you are LESS than 39 years and 6 months. But they may or may not be strict on the BMI. Sorry to hear. If you are not too close to the age limit you could improve your pullups by 2 and drop some mass.

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Just got turned away on the pull ups I’m in Aubagne. 7 pull ups, dead hang, wide grip.
Thanks for letting us know man. As NickFury says, you might have some time to shove in a couple of extra pull ups and drop ~20 lbs. As an ex fatty, I can tell you that the first pounds are really easy to lose AND will also help you on the pull ups since you will be pulling less weight.

I don't understand why the Legion decided to up the number of pull ups from 4 to 7. 666 suggested in another post that they have changed their attitude and looking for more quality over quantity. That said, I don't think they had a problem with average guys making 4 pull ups, not being fit enough for the rest of the Ferme and then dropping out. I understand they probably know more than I do, but I still believe that if I was in charge I would have focused on other issues in order to try and retain candidates.
The fact that the English recruitment site provides wrong information (still states 3 pull-ups), while the French one has the now-correct number of pull ups but a new mistake on the Luc Léger (states that level 7 is equivalent to 2700 m on Cooper test) does not breed confidence.

Theuglyfriend

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for letting us know man. As NickFury says, you might have some time to shove in a couple of extra pull ups and drop ~20lbs. As an ex fatty, I can tell you that the first pounds are really easy to lose AND will also help you on the pull ups since you will be pulling less weight.

I don't understand why the Legion decided to up the number of pull ups from 4 to 7. 666 suggested in another post that they have changed their attitude and looking for more quality over quantity. That said, I don't think they had a problem with average guys making 4 pull ups, not being fit enough for the rest of the Ferme and then dropping out. I understand they probably know more than I do, but I still believe that if I was in charge I would have focused on other issues in order to try and retain candidates.
The fact that the English recruitment site provides wrong information (still states 3 pull-ups), while the French one has the now-correct number of pull ups but a new mistake on the Luc Leger (states that level 7 is equivalent to 2700 on Cooper test) does not breed confidence.
This time everything that could’ve gone wrong did I had a severe ankle roll in November calcium build up in my right arm last month I’ve been in a ankle wrap and elbow pad forever. And to top it off I puked my guts out an hour before I tried out. I think that was my last hurrah. I saw two guys getting walked out when I was going in one had a US Marine issue back pack.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I’m a weight lifter. I actually lost 10lbs recently.
Just bear in mind that you have a ton of competition and at 39 they will hold you to a higher standard. It doesn't matter if you are a powerlifter or Olympic lifter or whatever your hobby or sport of choice is as the only thing that matters is doing the pullups and the Luc-Léger and later the Cooper and not only passing those tests, but blowing them out of the water (especially at age 39).

Then on top of that the BMI mentioned on the website must be between 20 to 30 and for your height that is 200lbs maximum. If you lost 10lbs and were still 230 lbs then you were not ready. They might look the other way if you could do 15 pull ups and run like the wind, but why take the chance? You can always put on mass and lift weights after you get to regiment but before that you should be a lean racing snake.

You still have 4 months and with determination and careful diet and training you can lose weight, rehab your body and bring up your pullups before the cut off. Just depends on your motivation and maybe your money situation.

Good luck man.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just got turned away on the pull ups I’m in Aubagne. 7 pull ups, dead hang, wide grip.
Theuglyfriend I
if you asked we would have told you to not waste money and time. At the age of 39 you have to have a BMI not more than 26 and you should be in a physical shape better than when you had 22y.

Also about pull-ups, we talked and talked on this forum that 4-5 isn't enough for getting in. Now they officially made the minium 7, as Etoiles_mortant saw on the French version of the Legion recruiting site (but they haven't yet modified the information in the English version). Also there is push-up / pull-up confusion. It’s possible that they done with purpose. To remind English speaking folks that that is French army you’re trying to join.

Here we always say 10 to 15 minimum if you are a serious candidate, of course with arms fully extended between two tractions! What you guys thinning ? You gonna get away with some swinging on bar look alike pull-ups?

I think my friend vytautelisss failed because his pull-ups weren't properly done. That's why they asked him to do them again. They were kind enough to let him rest and do IQ test first. That's not always the case. Sometimes if guy see you don't perform correct pull-up he will stop you and ask you do start again immediately. That is not cool, you will lose 2-3 tractions that way, so do them best you can first time!

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) November the 6th,1956, 45 Cdo RM made the first ever helicopter assault in history. 650 men being deployed from ships.
Air assault was extensively used by the French during the Algeria war (started Nov 1st 1954), so the action you mention might not be the first of its kind. Or maybe just the first involving this number of men.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rapace,

Correct but the RM helicopter assault was the first in military history of a Bn assault and to such a large extent.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Rapace,

Correct but the RM helicopter assault was the first in military history of a Bn assault and to such a large extent.
Well, at least it was the first helicopter assault from ships.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe,

For clarity I have rechecked RN/RM records. It is recorded as the ; First amphibious helicopter assault in the world.
I believe the mother ship was HMS Theseus.

Prior to this helicopters were used in other theatres, where RMs' were engaged, but never to land such a quantity of men and materiel into a fire zone.

I apologise for any misunderstandings.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I don't understand why the Legion decided to up the number of pull ups from 4 to 7. 666 suggested in another post that they have changed their attitude and looking for more quality over quantity. (...)
I guess you've answered the question... It’s otherwise called the supply and demand rule. Less candidates needed after the 'surge' last year, so they are raising up the bar. No mystery in this.

(...) mistake on the Luc Léger (states that level 7 is equivalent to 2700 m on Cooper test) does not breed confidence.
Actually it's not a mistake. Luc-Léger and Cooper are two physical tests aimed at measuring what is called VO2max (maximal oxygen consumption). So there's some correspondance between the two and level 7 in the Luc-Léger test is roughly equivalent to a distance of 2700 m run in the Cooper. As a reminder in the Cooper test, you have to run for 12 mn and the longer the distance run, the better, of course.

(...) Now they officially made the minium 7, as Etoiles_mortant saw on the French version of the Legion recruiting site (but they haven't yet modified the information in the English version). Also there is push-up / pull-up confusion. It’s possible that they done with purpose. To remind English speaking folks that that is French army you’re trying to join (...)
Not sure they've done it on purpose. Probably more like something that fell into the cracks... But it's true that the English version of the Legion recruiting site is incorrectly translated. It should read 7 pull-ups instead of 3 push-ups. It makes a significant difference...

Otherwise, to bluntly summarise the case of our ugly friend, he's old, overweight and out of shape. Go figure why he wasn't accepted... In this case at least, there's no mystery, 2+2=4. So if you still have some time before reaching the age limit of 39 ½ year, you know what you need to work on.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) Actually it's not a mistake. Luc-Léger and Cooper are two physical tests aimed at measuring what is called VO2max (maximal oxygen consumption). So there's some correspondance between the two and level 7 in the Luc-Léger test is roughly equivalent to a distance of 2700 m run in the Cooper. As a reminder in the Cooper test, you have to run for 12 mn and the longer the distance run, the better, of course. (...)
I would not agree upon that. Maybe both of those tests measure VO2max in some way, but they or also different. I tried both of them in many occasions through my progress of witness level and believe me they are not the same. Of course if you are good in running that will show in both tests.

My opinion is that Luc-Léger is much better in measuring one's oxygen consumption efficiency and that is problem reason why other is not in use anymore.

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
(...) Actually it's not a mistake. Luc-Léger and Cooper are two physical tests aimed at measuring what is called VO2max (maximal oxygen consumption). So there's some correspondance between the two and level 7 in the Luc-Léger test is roughly equivalent to a distance of 2700 m run in the Cooper. As a reminder in the Cooper test, you have to run for 12 mn and the longer the distance run, the better, of course. (...)
I guess it has something with do with that VO2max wizardry. I have no knowledge of sport science, I was simply going by numbers:

Level 7 Luc-Léger; 7 minutes 27 seconds cumulative time for the whole test. If you run the whole of it at the max required speed to pass (190 meters / minutes) you cover around 1425 meters.
A 2,700 meter Cooper test asks you to run that distance in 12 minutes, requiring a speed of 225 meters per minute. It needs you to be both faster and last 50% longer than the Level 7 Luc-Léger. I don't understand how they can be equivalent, but I am sure I don't know what I am talking about.