a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My update.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Welp, just got the official word. I am not being let off early. The probation department wrote a positive recommendation to the judge that I had been one of the best they had ever had come through. No one in the court wanted to oppose it. Aside from the Judge, who just simply said "I see no point in this..." and really refused to hear the case. Probation department was shocked honestly, they had thought it was a sure thing. She said I was allowed to try again in September. However, it's looking like I can't leave for the Legion till JAN2017. After the recruitment drive. More time to train and learn French I suppose. Oh well, c'est la vie. That's my update folks.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
(...) However, it's looking like I can't leave for the Legion till JAN2017. After the recruitment drive. (...)
Maybe this is just wishful thinking here, but I doubt the recruitment spike will be completely over by then. Early 2017 is now looking like the most realistic time frame for me to go as well, so hopefully there's still a need. Most sources I've read indicate the 13th Demi Brigade as being an ongoing expansion until 2018.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
Yeah currently the 13DBLE is around 450~500 legionnaires. They want to get up to 1300 sometime in 2018. So they will need more guys for a while yet. But if you are a top candidate, then when you go won't matter. The increase might help guys who were on the edge physically or a bit older.
Your Judge sounds like a dick. But think of it as more time to prepare and run and sprint and do pushups and pullups and climb ropes like a beast!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Do not give up hope, keep training and learning French. You will come through alright. The 13 is not the only regiment in the legion. Men are leaving the legion every week for various reasons, end of contract, retirement and so on, they all have to be replaced.
I really think that it is a Godsend that the 13 was not disbanded and will live on. If it had been disbanded it would reduce the overall total of serving legionnaires which is not a good thing at all. It is a pity that they did not stay in Djibouti where the pay was good and you got to see Africa (For the fist time?), but once they are up to strength and are fully operational who knows?
Good luck and thanks for the update.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
Welp, just got the official word. I am not being let off early. The probation department wrote a positive recommendation to the judge that I had been one of the best they had ever had come through. No one in the court wanted to oppose it. Aside from the Judge, who just simply said "I see no point in this..." and really refused to hear the case. Probation department was shocked honestly, they had thought it was a sure thing. She said I was allowed to try again in September. However, it's looking like I can't leave for the Legion till JAN2017. After the recruitment drive. More time to train and learn French I suppose. Oh well, c'est la vie. That's my update folks.
Are you now in jail with an access to internet? In any case, good luck in the future for your plans.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
He's on probation, not in prison.

I mean, I could always work hard and with enough motivation land myself in prison. :D

------

Thanks for the good words gentlemen. I am pretty fine with it now. I am just taking it as more time to train and grow and when I show up I will be offering the Legion a better product. Like a fine aged cheese. ;)

The day it happened it felt pretty awful, I mean it was just shocking. Literally no one saw that outcome. I was honestly so prepared that day to go out and buy my plane ticket to France for August 31st. I was already in the process of selling everything I own. I ****ed up the 7 P's I suppose.

That said I still hope that the Legion is doing the recruiting drive JAN2017, as much as I'd like to say I made it in the days of 1 out of 10 being accepted, even more than that I'd rather get in the Legion anyway I can. I heard some rumors that they were trying to double their numbers completely, which would be around 18,000-20,000 Legionnaires total if I am not mistaken.

Who knows. I am gonna keep pushing on and on.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I mean, I could always work hard and with enough motivation land myself in prison. :D

------

Thanks for the good words gentlemen. I am pretty fine with it now. I am just taking it as more time to train and grow and when I show up I will be offering the Legion a better product. Like a fine aged cheese. ;)

The day it happened it felt pretty awful, I mean it was just shocking. Literally no one saw that outcome. I was honestly so prepared that day to go out and buy my plane ticket to France for August 31st. I was already in the process of selling everything I own. I ****ed up the 7 P's I suppose.

That said I still hope that the Legion is doing the recruiting drive JAN2017, as much as I'd like to say I made it in the days of 1 out of 10 being accepted, even more than that I'd rather get in the Legion anyway I can. I heard some rumors that they were trying to double their numbers completely, which would be around 18,000-20,000 Legionnaires total if I am not mistaken.

Who knows. I am gonna keep pushing on and on.
I have not heard about the Legion doubling their numbers and it would not be easy to do. Do not forget that the would have to be lodged somewhere, feed and transport provided, all this would not be an easy task. Rapace would be best to enlighten you.
Do not worry about being part of the 1 in 10 ratio, worry about the staying in ratio. Highlander says that a lot of people are asking to go civvy during the training in their regiment. These people should have thought this all out before taking someone else's place.

goscabcd

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Without the increased number of candidates they still take around 20 people every Thursday. Of course, it depends on the demands. It can be a little more or a little less but overall it's still a lot.
Anyway.. There is no reason to be woried about numbers. Good luck in January

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Goodluck Troubadour. In a way I can relate how you feel. My plans to go and try selection again is on a thin line, blood pressure is still too high at the moment. Going to check it out at the doc on Monday! I hate uncertainty haha!

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
I have not heard about the Legion doubling their numbers and it would not be easy to do. Do not forget that the would have to be lodged somewhere, feed and transport provided, all this would not be an easy task. Rapace would be best to enlighten you. (...)
Well... As far as I know, the headcount increase in the Legion will come from the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE becoming again a full strength infantry regiment, and a 5th compagnie/escadron created in 2[sup]e[/sup] REI, 2[sup]e[/sup] REP, 1[sup]er[/sup] REC (not sure about the two REG's). So, if you consider 800 additional men are needed for the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE (in the previous organisation there were like 200 ‘permanent’ soldiers, plus additional reinforcements provided by the Coys of other Legion regiments coming on short term rotation), plus 150 men for each new company created, my estimation is the total headcount increase would be around 1'250 men, giving a total Legion headcount of ~ 9'000 personnel. Of the 1'250 additional legionnaires required I guess about 50% have already been recruited.
That's only an ‘educated guess’. Don't quote me on this one :D.

Martinbg

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Well... As far as I know, the headcount increase in the Legion will come from the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE becoming again a full strength infantry regiment, and a 5th compagnie/escadron created in 2[sup]e[/sup] REI, 2[sup]e[/sup] REP, 1[sup]er[/sup] REC (not sure about the two REG's). So, if you consider 800 additional men are needed for the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE (in the previous organisation there were like 200 ‘permanent’ soldiers, plus additional reinforcements provided by the Coys of other Legion regiments coming on short term rotation), plus 150 men for each new company created, my estimation is the total headcount increase would be around 1'250 men, giving a total Legion headcount of ~ 9'000 personnel. Of the 1'250 additional legionnaires required I guess about 50% have already been recruited.
That's only an ‘educated guess’. Don't quote me on this one :D.

Can you try to guess how long will be this extended recruitment ? Do you think it can last to April-May 2017 ? And it is possible after this extended recruitment , for some period of time , they to accept even smaller number of candidates than the standart because of this extended recruitment ?
Thank you

Troubadour

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Don't worry I am not worried about numbers or really anything. I just ponder out loud on the forums sometimes.

I will show up and give it all I got. It's all anyone can do.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Troubdour, you keep your fat nose clear and clean, it's just another 'setback' that pisses you off, now use the time for something creative and constructive, soon, your time will come.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Troubdour, you keep your fat nose clear and clean, it's just another 'setback' that pisses you off, now use the time for something creative and constructive, soon, your time will come.

I hear ya. I am keeping my stick on the ice. Eventually I'll get the pass I am looking for, and keeping with this metaphor, put the puck in the back of the net.