My visit to France

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
TommyCan,
You still haven't answered my question about you being a troll. I was looking at some of the posts that you have posted in the past before having them deleted. You forgot to mention that you went to France with your parents and that you were going to do a kind of escape and invasion to join the Legion and if that didn't work than you were going to join the American green berets.
So which is it? Are you a troll or a very disillusioned young 18-year old boy?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
TommyCan,
You still haven't answered my question about you being a troll. I was looking at some of the posts that you have posted in the past before having them deleted. You forgot to mention that you went to France with your parents and that you were going to do a kind of escape and invasion to join the Legion and if that didn't work than you were going to join the American green berets.
Hahaha... I forgot that. So that is the same guy :)...

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
TommyCan,
I think he misunderstood the job description of Infantry and SF. Too many movies and “Call of Duty”.
Next.

OP
T
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Alright I’m not sure where to begin. I wanted to join the Legion this summer but I couldn’t afford a trip to France since I’m a broke college student. Flights to France are crazy expensive. I would not be able to afford a ticket on my own. Fortunately my parents had a trip for France planned which I did not know of. I decided to tag along hoping I could join the Legion. It was a last minute thing. I knew some French from high school and use to be an athlete. I wanted out of boring college life and do something pretty extraordinary.

Also I’m not some disrespectful tourist speaking in broken French. My French although not the best is certainly not bad. Of course I can’t generalize an entire country. I just found that the current vibes not the best. I was like Cosgrove said pretty disillusioned. I thought I would arrive in France and show up to the gates and be taken in. Not easy at all. I was in Marseille. I was sure of entering the Legion then I realized how crazy the whole thing was.

My update was just about my trip of France and why I did not end up joining. I don’t really have the right to speak about the Legion. Even though you might join the Legion for yourself. You are still fighting for the interest of France, learning the language and history.

My 2 cents is to be well prepared. If you can’t afford a trip to France you should probably take care of that before joining. Also remember it is a 5-year contract. Honestly I would be more embarrassed to have made it and then deserted than never have joined at all.

I also think the Legion is sort of a last resort thing. If anything my dreams of joining are still not entirely dead. I have a new found respect. I think right now finishing college is a more sound decision.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Be decisive in what ever you do in life. It comes hand-in-hand with ambition. You might be your own worse enemy, without realising it.

Post Shitum : Do not make deceptions into obsessions

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Also remember it is a 5-year contract. (...)
(...) I also think the Legion is sort of a last resort thing. (...)
Who is this guy? If anyone on here doesn't realize that the Legion is for five (5) years PM Tommy... You may play at the poor college student, but travelling to France, down to Marseille and then trough villages... Boll*cks!
I can tell you after having read through your previous posts that you would not last 5 years, 5 days... perhaps.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
I won't be too rude with our friend Tommy. Bottom line, he had an image of the Legion that didn't match the reality, and also traveled without enough preparation. Realising for example, once you've arrived to France, that the initial contract in the Legion is 5 years is a sign of that insufficient planning. That is very basic information, easily availabe if you just spend 10 mn doing some research on the internet. Anyway, Tommy, I wish all the best and good luck in your future life.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I won't be too rude with our friend Tommy. Bottom line, he had an image of the Legion that didn't match the reality, and also traveled without enough preparation. Realising for example, once you've arrived to France, that the initial contract in the Legion is 5 years is a sign of that insufficient planning. That is very basic information, easily availabe if you just spend 10 mn doing some research on the internet. Anyway, Tommy, I wish all the best and good luck in your future life.
So Le Frenchie, when do I get an invite to France? The beers & food are on you bro. 😆

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
So Le Frenchie, when do I get an invite to France? The beers & food are on you bro. 😆
Do I really need to answer that question :unsure:? Oh, and frogs legs are very good, but only for connoisseurs :).

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do I really need to answer that question :unsure:? Oh, and frogs legs are very good, but only for connoisseurs :).
Frenchie was that a “no” 😘? Oh and no snails either.

Wtf Frenchie 😄

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Frogs legs: dipped in flour and fried in butter... Fantastic (12 pairs par person).
Snails : filled with garlic/parsley butter and baked (12 par peson).
The Legion adventure begins with la Cuisine. Often, the platoon, on a return from mission, would hire some place out of Nîmes and have a repas (meal) all together before going on leave. Some of my best memories.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Frogs legs: dipped in flour and fried in butter... Fantastic (12 pairs par person).
Snails : filled with garlic/parsley butter and baked (12 par peson). (...)
I wouldn’t turn them down or make a scene, but you won’t see me out hunting them like my neighbor. They love these leopard frogs around here, big b*stards they are.

Last edited by a moderator: