Need Advice

Legion Etrangere

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Lebanon
Hello everyone, Could someone please tell me the good and bad about the US military and the Legion? I am lost and don't really know what to do. I feel like the US military has better tangible benefits but the Legion just has something that I can't really explain that draws me to it. The history, Camaron, the espirit de corps. Maybe I just have a romantic view of the Legion but I feel if I join the US military I will always have that what if in the back of my mind. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful. Thanks.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Both have have “Esprit de Corps” pride in one’s service shoocome first and foremost. I love the Marine Corps, I served 20 years on active duty. Sure the US Military will, upon completion of service have an outstanding benefit package available for education and certain veterans preferences. Stay for a career like I did and have all of it plus a monthly retirement check for life and all of the other benefits.

The Legion has a retirement system and Legionnaires whom meet the qualifications reap the benefits and possibly citizenship.

Here is the vast difference, the Legion offers a second shot, a chance to overcome and start new for a lot of people. The US Military is not giving. The smallest thing as a youth can and more often than not BAN YOU for life from service.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Egypt
Both have have “Esprit de Corps” pride in one’s service shoocome first and foremost. I love the Marine Corps, I served 20 years on active duty. Sure the US Military will, upon completion of service have an outstanding benefit package available for education and certain veterans preferences. Stay for a career like I did and have all of it plus a monthly retirement check for life and all of the other benefits.

The Legion has a retirement system and Legionnaires whom meet the qualifications reap the benefits and possibly citizenship.

Here is the vast difference, the Legion offers a second shot, a chance to overcome and start new for a lot of people. The US Military is not giving. The smallest thing as a youth can and more often than not BAN YOU for life from service.
It's weird how you're saying this now while in most of the US TV series there is always a trending sentence "Judge gave me a choice , army or jail."

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It's weird how you're saying this now while in most of the US TV series there is always a trending sentence "Judge gave me a choice , army or jail."
You are right. Don't know why they do that when in reality if you are in front of judge your military career is probably already finished.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That is no longer the case my friend. By gone era
That's was maybe case in era when chances that one will die during 5y in army were much greater than today or in last 50 y

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
when I recruited, 1998 to 2001, we knew some Judges and District Attorney's, we could sometimes get probation reduced to time served or get a Driving While Intoxicated maybe reduced to a Reckless Operation charge, but this was very much on the gray side of things and if caught there were consequences. When a Judge would ask us as Recruiters what can I do, we'd just say here is what disqualifies someone from Military Service....they read between the lines.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
You need to ask yourself why you want to do either. Pick one, and be committed to it. I can tell you that while things like money and benefits are nice, one day you will be an old man lying in your bed, on death's door. Ask yourself, would you want to have any regrets? In either, you will be presented with some challenges. Truth be told, many days you will be suffering, bored, or even angry. At least in my experience my friend, it is a lot of hard work. You will do a great deal of chores, as a new guy you will get sh*t on, and you will be tested. Maybe it is different for you, but for me, material things did not motivate me. You can find places that pay well and have benefits.

What you won't find anywhere else, is friends who become more like brothers. You will have bonds with people that are stronger than you can imagine. I am closer to those buddies than I am my own family. You will have people who will go to hell and back with you, are willing to suffer with you, and who you will be your best around because you DO NOT want to f*ck up and let them down. Because if you f*ck up, yeah it's on you, but your whole team suffers. And that is worse than personal suffering.

You'll have memories that last forever, that most people in the world will never be able to relate to or experience.

So make your choice dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
You need to ask yourself why you want to do either. Pick one, and be committed to it. I can tell you that while things like money and benefits are nice, one day you will be an old man lying in your bed, on death's door. Ask yourself, would you want to have any regrets? In either, you will be presented with some challenges. Truth be told, many days you will be suffering, bored, or even angry. At least in my experience my friend, it is a lot of hard work. You will do a great deal of chores, as a new guy you will get sh*t on, and you will be tested. Maybe it is different for you, but for me, material things did not motivate me. You can find places that pay well and have benefits.

What you won't find anywhere else, is friends who become more like brothers. You will have bonds with people that are stronger than you can imagine. I am closer to those buddies than I am my own family. You will have people who will go to hell and back with you, are willing to suffer with you, and who you will be your best around because you DO NOT want to f*ck up and let them down. Because if you f*ck up, yeah it's on you, but your whole team suffers. And that is worse than personal suffering.

You'll have memories that last forever, that most people in the world will never be able to relate to or experience.

That was very well stated.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Legion Etrangere,

Only you can make the choice. There are several fine units within the American Armed Forces which may be of interest to you.

The Foreign Legion offers a second chance to those with a difficult past.

The penultimate and final sentence of A. Wanderer's post is most apt. Service with certain units is never forgotten and the memories linger on in old age. Some like clubs are rather exclusive ! Once a member no-one can deny you.

Chas 18 years various Crown Service including R.
Green Beret Commando Association Member.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hello everyone, Could someone please tell me the good and bad about the US military and the Legion? I am lost and don't really know what to do. I feel like the US military has better tangible benefits but the Legion just has something that I can't really explain that draws me to it. The history, Camaron, the espirit de corps. Maybe I just have a romantic view of the Legion but I feel if I join the US military I will always have that what if in the back of my mind. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Or you from Lebanon?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
The choice is yours (they say) really ? or is it to be chosen?
Thereis a sélection processus, btw
Very cruel and primative, where only the strongest survive
Age is a factor and no buddy can deny. ..
"The choice"...métaphore in coming
When in a Gellati parlour , order before winter sets in

OP
L

Legion Etrangere

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Lebanon
Thank You guys for your advice, I have some soul searching to do.

OP
L

Legion Etrangere

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Lebanon

Thanks for the advice man

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Oh well, Here’s Jonny!!

In my case, the legion represented an irresistible challenge; adventure, the unknown, etc. Any service in a regular army just didn’t have that alure. Oh well, I was also quite young, but on the other hand, I have never regretted my five years in the legion in Algeria, even as hard as it was some times. As a matter of fact, I gained immensely from it, both physically and mentally, and I can hardly imagine the rest of my life without that experience.

And as has been noted above, I met some guys who stayed my brothers until death did us part. I’m currently the only surviving legion paratrooper from that period that I know about.

(Apart from Simon Murray, that is. Simon and I are of the same age but he was in a different company in 2 REP so we never got very close.)

Now, that’s my take on the legion vs other armies, anyway.

Last edited: