a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need an opinion

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
From my experience, breath in through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Be sure to exhale as much as possble as not to build up dioxide in your muscle tissue, which will slow you down.

Oldgit

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I find that it depends on degree of oxygen debt. At a measured pace over long distance, like Voltigeur, in through nose, out through mouth. When in oxygen debt IN THROUGH MOUTH (it's bigger!), out through mouth.

Og

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
When you're running do you think about every breath you take (the Police) when your pushing yourself your body will suck it in any way it can. Try a warm up on a track and once your nice and warm do an 800m sprint, as fast as you can just keep pumping them arms and legs and sucking in the air thru your nose and mouth, at the end of it think back to when you were sprinting and write back to me and let me know if breathing in through your nose would have been sufficient for your bodies demand for air' ps' I know the answer. if my body could suck it in through my arse it would.

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
sorry I'm 41 and still do a 400m sprint at the end of my runs and I suck it in through my nose and mouth and push the air out using my ab's. yoga will give good breathing excercises

son_of_scotland

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Mate,

Breathing in through the nose increases the level of Oxygen in your bloodstream immediatley, goes to tthe lungs , is used and pushed out through the mouth as CO2.

The best advice I feel is to find a regualar breathing pattern that suits you. Try and allign your breathing with your running steps. ie one breath in for every 3 steps, etc and concentrate on this until it becomes natural and you dont need to think about it.

Another bit of advice.... before going on a long run, take a shit. Clear out your system. This makes a huge difference.

DevilD

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
like repman said, your body would suck it up it's arse if it could. just stay in CONTROL of your breathing. no frantic huffing and puffing out of rythme.

variations:

when breathing on step cycle try adding more steps per breath, forces youy to control you breath rate even more. for the more advanced, hold your breath for 10-30 second intervals (all you freedivers!)

before your run, fill your mouth full of water. do your run holding that mouthful of water, forcing you to breathe in and out your nose the whole time. increases breathing resistance, great for training. swallow it at the end of the run. if you have no discipline and lost or swallowed the water by the end of the run, just begin doing 8 counts :D

"train hard, fight easy" someone said on here.

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
"train hard, fight easy" someone said on here.[/QUOTE]

YEP that was my old coach's words every session' another one was 'The body is evil it must be punished.

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
1,Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.
2,Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
3,There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
4,Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure
5,The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.
6,A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
I,m soory D'D its a bit off thread but I couldn't help it