a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Need some advise

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hello everyone. Im 17 years and 2 months old and im eagerly want to become a legionnaire. I have 4 months before im legally allowed to join try and join the legion which i have to be 17 and 6 months. I have given myself 4 months to to get extremely fit to stand out and to get accepted into the legion since only 4 out of 30 people get accepted. Any advice to increase my chances to get accepted. I have also started to learn some french and Learning all the ranks in the legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Andre. As I say to all people who risk using their real name (if this is your case) be careful what you say. Joining at 17.5 years old requires a certified authorization from your parents or guardians.
We had another guy form Ireland (Williams) who wanted the same thing. I'd put him in touch with the president of the AALE Ireland whom he never contacted. The President, a very good friend of mine, told me to pass on that he should contact the French Embassy in Dublin. My friend is very close with the embassy and said that he never got in touch with them.:unsure:
I then wrote to the recruiting centre in FdeN to ask what the requirements to join at 17.5, but never got a response.
The only thing I can suggest is that you go to the French embassy or nearest consulate and ask them the formalities required for joining the LE before 18.
Or failing that, get your letter and then have it translated into French by an authorized translating office and try your luck.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, André and welcome
Speaking some basic french will give you, 'a bit of advantage', but it's not the only quality you will need
Teeth are very important for the Legion. ..make sure you have any fillings needing done fixed before you go. Have a general check up too, the Dr might discover something that's not compatible with army life
Bring any school certificats you might hold (photo copies)
Do not travel until you are absoulty sure and capable of doing at least 7 pull ups (aim for 10)
Level 7 on the Luc Léger test
Practise running in general (you will be given lots of running to do, if accepted, during your basic training and after too
Swim (as best you can, as you should do for running...all of the time.
Bet you have never used an Iron?
Can you fold your clothes properly?
Who makes your bed?
Listen to what the Legion staff order you to do and be reactive

Post Shitum
Get rid of that Game boy or what ever numb skull bull crap gamey knob thingy you are thobiling at the moment
Total waste of time and concertation

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Andre, my advice is wait till you turn 18 Travelling from South Africa to France is a long way. Another 10 months in a young man's life is bugger all. At 18 you are deemed an adult, the decisions you make then are yours, and yours alone (no middle man). In the meantime keep up the French lessons, even the basics will an advantage. Work on your fitness...South Africa is a long way to travel to get rejected. All the best in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

pop's

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
My Hero, my son Johnny, might be coming home for a short holiday in May/June which will be the end of his 5yr contract. (that went fast)
He has signed up for another 2yrs to honor the extra courses he has completed
If any Saffers are interested in meeting him, please pm me

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi Andre. As I say to all people who risk using their real name (if this is your case) be careful what you say. Joining at 17.5 years old requires a certified authorization from your parents or guardians.
We had another guy form Ireland (Williams) who wanted the same thing. I'd put him in touch with the president of the AALE Ireland whom he never contacted. The President, a very good friend of mine, told me to pass on that he should contact the French Embassy in Dublin. My friend is very close with the embassy and said that he never got in touch with them.:unsure:
I then wrote to the recruiting centre in FdeN to ask what the requirements to join at 17.5, but never got a response.
The only thing I can suggest is that you go to the French embassy or nearest consulate and ask them the formalities required for joining the LE before 18.
Or failing that, get your letter and then have it translated into French by an authorized translating office and try your luck.
hi joseph and thank you, i have gone to a embassy and they told me the exact same things i got online But i got in contact with a guy that works with people and give detailed instructions on how and what to do to get in hat will be needed from me.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi, André and welcome
Speaking some basic french will give you, 'a bit of advantage', but it's not the only quality you will need
Teeth are very important for the Legion. ..make sure you have any fillings needing done fixed before you go. Have a general check up too, the Dr might discover something that's not compatible with army life
Bring any school certificats you might hold (photo copies)
Do not travel until you are absoulty sure and capable of doing at least 7 pull ups (aim for 10)
Level 7 on the Luc Léger test
Practise running in general (you will be given lots of running to do, if accepted, during your basic training and after too
Swim (as best you can, as you should do for running...all of the time.
Bet you have never used an Iron?
Can you fold your clothes properly?
Who makes your bed?
Listen to what the Legion staff order you to do and be reactive

Post Shitum
Get rid of that Game boy or what ever numb skull bull crap gamey knob thingy you are thobiling at the moment
Total waste of time and concertation
Thank you Le petit caporal. I will take everything you said make sure i fit in with it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Andre Shaw,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the friendship. Pay attention to those in Green and to Pink Floyd who had a distinguished career in the FFL.

I joined a unit at 17 years and 3 weeks a long time ago. We had been so impressed with the South Africans who had served both as officers and in the ranks of our Commandos that we adopted the Boer trekking song as our commando march. Sarie Marais.

A short wait will do you no harm and 'good luck'.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Andre, my advice is wait till you turn 18. It's a big check of reality for a 17 year old to travel to France to join the Legion. Another 10 months in a young man's life is bugger all. At 18 you are deemed an adult, the decisions you make then are yours, and yours alone (no middle man). In the meantime keep up the French lessons, even the basics will an advantage. Work on your fitness...South Africa is a long way to travel to get rejected. All the best in the future.
I meant to say travelling from South Africa to France is a long way...maybe one of the diligent mods can correct it for me

Last edited: