a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(New Article): Larzac, upgrading the installation for the 13e DBLE will cost €115M

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks Nick, for those who don't want to bother translating the whole text, basically what interests us is that the French government doesn't want to create new regiments but will expand the 13ème DBLE from 50 to over a thousand and this time they will not be thwarted by the locals with their silly demonstrations.
Question is how did they get away with their silly demonstrations of extending the Larzac camp in 1970 and win. This time, for once, the government is holding firm.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Question is how did they get away with their silly demonstrations of extending the Larzac camp in 1970 and win. This time, for once, the government is holding firm.
The situation in the 70s was completely different. Remember, the hippie movement was very popular, and not only in France (flower power, Woodstock festival and all that stuff), the student ‘rebellion’ in France in May 1968 was still fresh in many memories, etc... Now all the hippies of the seventies are grandfathers (if still living)... :)

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Thanks Nick, for those who don't want to bother translating the whole text, basically what interests us is that the French government doesn't want to create new regiments but will expand the 13ème DBLE from 50 to over a thousand and this time they will not be thwarted by the locals with their silly demonstrations.
Question is how did they get away with their silly demonstrations of extending the Larzac camp in 1970 and win. This time, for once, the government is holding firm.

So the DBLE is now in France for good ? Also does this mean that all the new legionnaires will go to that regiment ?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
While this may not be the post for this thread, let me stab at it anyhow. So we all know the regiment is expanding to over 1,000 men. Here is a thought that certainly will just be..Now it would make not alot of sense but I thought I'd ask, anyhow. It would seem like they need boots to fill, but seeing how many new recruits are not fluent in French yet, that means(would mean) that they wont all get sent to the 13th just to fill boots, right?!.
It wouldn't make sense to send men there who have not yet received proper training and also learn the language, enough. I would PRESUME that it would take at LEAST 2 years for any man to be able to speak, understand and read and write to be able to function co-cohesively. Just a thought, but it would seem that they are not just filling boots with new boots. Would this be correct or perhaps something else to be added. Thank you.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Around 30% are French to begin with, so even if they send all new recruits to that regiment (+officers, caporals, ccs etc) 1/3 would obviously speak French and that is enough they can give them lessons if needed ... though I would also assume they would send some older guys from other regiments just so they bring their work ethic, traditions, expertise, experience etc with them.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
While this may not be the post for this thread, let me stab at it anyhow. So we all know the regiment is expanding to over 1,000 men. Here is a thought that certainly will just be..Now it would make not alot of sense but I thought I'd ask, anyhow. It would seem like they need boots to fill, but seeing how many new recruits are not fluent in French yet, that means(would mean) that they wont all get sent to the 13th just to fill boots, right?!.
It wouldn't make sense to send men there who have not yet received proper training and also learn the language, enough. I would PRESUME that it would take at LEAST 2 years for any man to be able to speak, understand and read and write to be able to function co-cohesively. Just a thought, but it would seem that they are not just filling boots with new boots. Would this be correct or perhaps something else to be added. Thank you.
It's been explicitly said by the Legion that growing the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE headcount to a full scale regiment will be done by amalgamating new recruits and already serving legionnaires, as always. It won't be a unit made only of new recruits.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Main goal, to be Operational A.S.A.P ( As Soon As Possible). Beats watching dromedaries, on daily basis, now, it will be goats. :D
So fast track promotion for francophones within the regiments and lots of cross postings then.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When 6ème REG first started, now 1er REG, I was on my way from REP to the 13 (not literally- just that all the paper work was done) and the captain called all the CPLs with more than four years service, one by one, into his office. The deal was: Sgt's course and then sent to the 6ème REG -Bye Bye REP. I refused it as I knew that once there, there was no way I would be able to get back to the REP.
This is the manner that they will probably go by with the 'new' 13. But be careful anyone wanting to join, think twice about asking for the 13, they will not be going anywhere until they are settled in and fully operational.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
(...) But be careful anyone wanting to join, think twice about asking for the 13, they will not be going anywhere until they are settled in and fully operational.
And this will no doubt take a couple of years! So does anyone know which Brigade 13e DBLE will fall under? Will they become a Mechanized Infantry Regiment?
115 Million Euros is nothing to fluff your nose at so they will definitely have some good facilities once they reach full operating concept.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
And this will no doubt take a couple of years! So does anyone know which Brigade 13e DBLE will fall under? Will they become a Mechanized Infantry Regiment?
115 Million Euros is nothing to fluff your nose at so they will definitely have some good facilities once they reach full operating concept.
With the Legion it will not take that long, it's filling up the Coys to meet the headcounts that may be a tad slower. Copy & paste: “Well, so far, I know that the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE, will be incorporated with the 6[sup]e[/sup] Brigade Légère Blindée (Light Armoured Brigade) and that it's an Infantry regiment after all, so this will add another infantry regiment, along with 2[sup]e[/sup] REI and in total, 4 Legion regiments in the Brigade (2[sup]e[/sup] REI,1[sup]er[/sup] REC,1[sup]er[/sup] REG and 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE)â€￾. I hope this answered your question(s).

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
With the Legion it will not take that long, it's filling up the Coys to meet the headcounts that may be a tad slower. Copy & paste: “Well, so far, I know that the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE, will be incorporated with the 6[sup]e[/sup] Brigade Légère Blindée (Light Armoured Brigade) and that it's an Infantry regiment after all, so this will add another infantry regiment, along with 2[sup]e[/sup] REI and in total, 4 Legion regiments in the Brigade (2[sup]e[/sup] REI,1[sup]er[/sup] REC,1[sup]er[/sup] REG and 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE)â€￾. I hope this answered your question(s).
If the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE is incorporated into the 6[sup]e[/sup] BLB (which I don't know), then it'll be the third infantry regiment in the Brigade (along with 2[sup]e[/sup] REI in Nîmes, as you mentioned, but also 21[sup]e[/sup] RIMa in Fréjus). The question will also be which main equipment will they receive : the good ol' VAB (or its successor) or the VBCI, like 2[sup]e[/sup] REI. I put my bet on the former... but I may be wrong.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
If the 13[sup]e[/sup] DBLE is incorporated into the 6[sup]e[/sup] BLB (which I don't know), then it'll be the third infantry regiment in the Brigade (along with 2[sup]e[/sup] REI in Nîmes, as you mentioned, but also 21[sup]e[/sup] RIMa in Fréjus. The question will also be which main equipment will they receive : the good ol' VAB (or its successor) or the VBCI, like 2[sup]e[/sup] REI. I put my bet on the former... but I may be wrong.
Along with the 1[sup]er[/sup] Spahis (sister regiment to the 1[sup]er[/sup] REC, with AMX10 RC) and last but not least the 3[sup]e[/sup] RAMa Régiment d'Artillerie de Marine(Artillery, big bores). La Force d'Action Rapide F.A.R, Rapid Action Force.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Along with the 1er Spahis (Sister regiment to the 1er REC, AMX10 RC) and last but not least the 3rd RAMa 'Régiment d'Artillerie de la Marine (Artillery, big bores). La 'Force d'Action Rapide' F.A.R, Rapid Action Force.
The 1[sup]er[/sup] Régiment de Spahis is no longer part of the 6[sup]e[/sup] BLB, but belongs now to 1[sup]ère[/sup] BM (Brigade Mécanisée). The move is quite recent and in a number of sites, 1[sup]er[/sup] RS still shows as being part of 6[sup]e[/sup] BLB, which is actually at this stage left with only one cavalry regiment, 1[sup]er[/sup] REC. And this is notwithstanding a new re-organisation coming up...

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I already answered in the other thread about Larzac, the 13 DBLE will be incorporated to the 6 BLB, (Light Armoured Brigade) and thus needs to be 'rapidly' Operational. They will manage.
O to be twenty five again...