New FFL Books 2019

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
LA LEGION ETRANGERE 1831-1962

Par JM Mongin et A. Jouineau, 80 pages , 21 x 29,7 cm, texte en français.
Version reliée du magazine Soldat n°9
Histoire, uniformes et organisation de la Légion étrangère de la conquête d'Alger à la dissolution du REP.
De la Conquête d’Alger à la dissolution du REP, en passant par l’Espagne des guerres carlistes, Camerone, la Grande Guerre, Bir-Hakeim ou l’Indo, cet ouvrage vous retracera l’histoire du plus célèbre corps de l’histoire militaire de ces deux derniers siècles… André Jouineau et Jean-Marie Mongin vous propose de découvrir une histoire illustrée de l’uniforme de la Légion étrangère.
1548304086263.png

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Currently reading this. It's well written and researched by a fellow Aussie. A few pages have descriptions of french troops taking part in operations around the time of the Black Hawke Down incident. The author has interviewed a lot of the Rangers involved in the battle "Mogadishu, October 1993...I will send him a email once I have finished reading the book.

Attachments

OP
Peter Lyderik

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Just bought Appel on ebay. Also Bill Parris' Making of a Legionnaire (I believe there was recommendation of it on this forum), Simon Murray's Legionnaire (I think Thomas Gast recommended it) and Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keefe (I had an eye on this one for pretty long time). I read few books written by Polish ex-Legionnaires, but it's time to expand. Alex Lochrie's Fighting for the French Foreign Legion and McGorman's Life in the French Foreign Legion are waiting on shelf. Did I miss something written in English?

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Sohito, the Bill Parris book is rubbish. Along with many other Anglophones, I served in 2REP at the same time as him. Strangely no one can recall ol’ Bill. It’s obvious that the author has done a major plagiarism job. If you paid for the book, enjoy it for what it is (a good fictional read). I have a copy of it I bought from a second hand bookstore. By the way, the first giveaway are the photos. There’s not one personal photo from the author. All are taken off the internet. At least give us one photo in uniform...please Bill. The late Alex Lochrie’s book is a beauty. Go to chapter 11 where he writes about the Chad intervention of late 1990. I will post some of my photos of that operation. It was one of the few times that the whole of 2REP was in the one place in Africa during my service. 4th Company flew in from Central Africa after their fighting the rebels in Rwanda. Bill Parris even gets that wrong in his book.

Last edited:

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Oh... My bad. Thanks for pointing that out. Gladly I have a lot to read, so I will skip it until have time for, as You said good fiction.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
You can recive a better read up on here and more honest , from us greens and from différent periods

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Yes, and I do check the forum way back into past, to read as much as I can. It is something truly unique- You can't find something like that anywhere else. But as it would be hard to ask anyone of You, to tell the whole story (even if it would be amazing to hear it), books are doing sort of that.

Of course Bill Parris' book is absolutely not an example here- as it was strongly stated above, that those are not memoirs, but fiction. If I knew that, I would probably not buy it. So it will lay down on shelf next to 007 books, as I have a lot of other books, with real stories waiting there to be read.

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
No, I didn't. Pretty much forum members' stories I managed to dig into, are only some stuff mentioned here and there, for example Jonny's photos, with short description what we are looking at.

P.S. Earlier mentioned Alex Lochrie's book is very high on my list. I'm not sure is it going to be next what I'll read, but I'm planning to get to it very soon. I looked into beginning some time ago and it seems really well written/told. Is there anything else worth recommendation (in English)? Except what I mentioned above, I read only few books written by Polish authors.

Last edited:

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Okay, I had no idea. I actually had problem to figure out in which years You served- that clarifies it a little.

It's probably in the book, but if I remember well, Alex Lochrie enlisted at 38 or 39 years old. How long did he serve? Because 39.5 is maximum to enlist, but how old can You be still serving in Legion? Besides being very demanding way of life. I saw not long time ago documentary about Legion, in which I think there was Brazilian at similar age..

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Alex was 38 when he joined and i was 18. 20 years younger. Exceptions can and are made for persons who are near or over the age limit. ..Have to be or have something special
That was back then, 83
Today, if you join the Legion at a later age. You will probally do just 1 intial contract of 5 years. ...It's all about health

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure those books are only available in Polish, so English titles are made up by me. I put them here, as maybe someone has list of French Foreign Legion related books or maybe one day someone Polish-speaking would make use of them (I saw around books mentioned in many different languages, so why not):
- Pierwszy kontrakt (First contract), Jacek Wist. I guess he joined in 1990 and I saw somewhere that he served 16 years. The book covers first 5 years. Served in 2REP. I read it few times already, I will probably read it once more time soon.

- Spowiedz legionisty (Confession of a legionnaire), Sebastian Cybulski. Served in years 1996-2003 in 1REC.

- Mamy dusze muszkieterow (We have souls(spirits?) of musketeers), Zbigniew Truszczynski. Also served in 1REC, story in book happens in 1983- no idea how long and in which years author served. Pretty much description of how author and other legionnaires were spending free time. A lot of photos.

- Legia cudzoziemska. Bylem tam (Foreign Legion. I was there), Piotr Konca. More of information brochure, like history, traditions, selection, but also short about author's service (I believe he joined 1989). Very short one. Served in 2REP, if I remember well.

- 10 lat piekla w Legii Cudzoziemskiej) 10 years of hell in Foreign Legion), Jozef Bialoskorski. Didn't read that one, but I think there are few more books written by this author. First print of this book was, I believe, in 1935.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I'm pretty sure those books are only available in Polish, so English titles are made up by me. I put them here, as maybe someone has list of French Foreign Legion related books or maybe one day someone Polish-speaking would make use of them (I saw around books mentioned in many different languages, so why not):
- Pierwszy kontrakt (First contract), Jacek Wist. I guess he joined in 1990 and I saw somewhere that he served 16 years. The book covers first 5 years. Served in 2REP. I read it few times already, I will probably read it once more time soon.
View attachment 4720

- Spowiedz legionisty (Confession of a legionnaire), Sebastian Cybulski. Served in years 1996-2003 in 1REC.
View attachment 4721

- Mamy dusze muszkieterow (We have souls(spirits?) of musketeers), Zbigniew Truszczynski. Also served in 1REC, story in book happens in 1983- no idea how long and in which years author served. Pretty much description of how author and other legionnaires were spending free time. A lot of photos.

View attachment 4722

- Legia cudzoziemska. Bylem tam (Foreign Legion. I was there), Piotr Konca. More of information brochure, like history, traditions, selection, but also short about author's service (I believe he joined 1989). Very short one. Served in 2REP, if I remember well.
View attachment 4723

- 10 lat piekla w Legii Cudzoziemskiej) 10 years of hell in Foreign Legion), Jozef Bialoskorski. Didn't read that one, but I think there are few more books written by this author. First print of this book was, I believe, in 1935.
View attachment 4724
When you get a copy of Alex Lochrie’s book go to chapter 11. A few of my personal photos of the operation. Libyan prisoners on their way back to Libya...

Attachments