New FFL Books 2019

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
When you get a copy of Alex Lochrie’s book go to chapter 11. A few of my personal photos of the operation. Libyan prisoners on their way back to Libya...
the airport tower N’djamena shortly before the mortars stated coming in...REP transmission blokes getting the comms sorted.

Attachments

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Finally got to, and finished Alex Lochrie's Fighting for French Foreign Legion. Very good book, real page-turner, would gladly read more. It was very high on my list for quite some time and I'm glad I finally read it. First half could be posted as advertisement to join Foreign Legion, while second half (about Sarajevo), could serve as social advertising- sort of wake up call... I never met with such close relation and description of what was going on, in there. I could feel that Lochrie was taking it more personal, while writing that part, and with every page I was realizing more and more why.

Now I started book, which was probably on top of my list for years- Men in Green Faces, by Gene Wentz. It's not about Foreign Legion- it's novel about Navy Seals in Vietnam. Read today over quarter of it, and it seems like very good read.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
No, I didn't. Pretty much forum members' stories I managed to dig into, are only some stuff mentioned here and there, for example Jonny's photos, with short description what we are looking at.

P.S. Earlier mentioned Alex Lochrie's book is very high on my list. I'm not sure is it going to be next what I'll read, but I'm planning to get to it very soon. I looked into beginning some time ago and it seems really well written/told. Is there anything else worth recommendation (in English)? Except what I mentioned above, I read only few books written by Polish authors.
I’m glad you like my photos. I got plenty more that I haven’t uploaded yet. But that’s the real legion anyway. A book might follow, but I’m a bit lazy. Sorry.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I’m glad you like my photos. I got plenty more that I haven’t uploaded yet. But that’s the real legion anyway. A book might follow, but I’m a bit lazy. Sorry.
The people NEED that book!

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Well, from what I can see around the forum, You have helluva story to tell. Would definitely read it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The Treize should never have left Djibouti
I agree with Pink Floyd 100%. It gave the REP a guaranteed overseas tour and the REC and 2 REI were guaranteed sejours of two years. Even those coming straight out of Castel could start off their careers with two years of desert warfare training

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I agree with Pink Floyd 100%. It gave the REP a guaranteed overseas tour and the REC and 2 REI were guaranteed sejours of two years. Even those coming straight out of Castel could start off their careers with two years of desert warfare training
I did 3 company tours to Djibouti. The longest was for 6 months Jan-July 1991. Our old 2REP base up in the mountains (Arta) is now a Djiboutian army military academy...photos from 1990

Attachments

Last edited:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I did 3 company tours to Djibouti. The longest was for 6 months Jan-July 1991. Our old 2REP base up in the mountains (Arta) is now a Djiboutian army military academy...photos from 1990
That little tin hut next to the guard house was the jail made of tin, inside the roof was just splattered with blood from insects this was my accommodation for 14 nights.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
That little tin hut next to the guard house was the jail made of tin, inside the roof was just splattered with blood from insects this was my accommodation for 14 nights.
the jail (Arta Hilton)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Must have been roasting in there for a pale scotsman 😆

OP
Peter Lyderik

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Told here for the first time in English is the story of the French Foreign Legion and the part they played in the colonial campaigns in Tonkin in Indochina between the years 1883 and 1945. The book weaves the complexities of the initial colonization campaigns of the late 19th century, the battles against the Black Flags and Chinese before moving into the early 20th century which saw the legion involved in actions against pirates, rebels, nationalists and communists. The book goes on to cover the daily life for the Legionnaires as well as their restructuring and enlargement. Also, covered are the building works undertaken by the Legionnaires including roads, summer stations and barracks. The 1941 war with Thailand and the Lang Son incident are told in great detail as is the Japanese coup in March 1945, the subsequent battles involved which virtually destroyed the 5th Regiment and finally their retreat into China. Packed with over 70 unpublished photographs.

1565412525444.png

1565412554428.png

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I wonder if they appreciate how much legion sweat went into the camps and bases of Djibouti? I doubt it! I think the soul of the 13th will always be there!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
We had our threads mixed up a bit Joseph. My fault. Appreciate it if you could correct it. Thanks mate.

Most viewed threads of the week