a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New FFL Books 2019

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I served with Victor Ferreira, he went on to be a "fut-fut" the same as I did. His brother was a Sgt in the same company. The two of them were both crossmen. Victor went on to do his sports instructor course.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
So did i... I have some pics of him from 91/92. He wrote a book, with photos, about legionnaires and their tatoos... Wonder what or who inspired him. Couldn't run faster or better than me, btw. He later on, went on to REP. Our CDU was captain Toulain, an-ex chef de section in REP (Milan in the C.E.A.). Resigned his commission and went on to work for Cartier as a security consultant (blame the GABON tour for that).
A couple of others from REP that owed me their careers and also from the S.A.C., C.E.A. REP... Tupai (Tahitien), now deceased since 2013 approx (silly accident while fishing). Berry Andrew... a total tosser, who happened to be English. He was a medic too... aye right.. Fanny baws was an alcoholic with a sever case of thé shakes...
Jeeze, when going for a prise de sang done by him... Gave me a total aversion for English medics from the REP.

Post Shitum : no offense Joe, just simple silly complexes a dude may acquire whilst serving. Kev Allen (uncle Arthur) and myself knobbed his bourgeoise I wrecked his car, a Peugeot 309 and stole / loaned the other... a Porsche thingy! Nowhere as hot as mine (Toyota Celica ST from 78)
Rob Mason came to us later on... We talk every other day. Small world Indeed.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
About the book, recruiting to the Legion, and the writer.

This seems like a really good book. I want to get it but it is not allowing me to because my shipping address.

If I were to be allowed into the Legion and had a career even similar to his I would be happy. He had spent most years in mechanical maintenance but I'm sure he had a wide array of experiences regardless.

That's a question I have. If one is to be given a position like this Major had as a maintenance technician, foreman, and logistics officer in the 2rei, is he still training in combat infantry on occasion and still able to go in "missions"?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I can't speak for 2REI (where is Le Petit Caporal? :unsure: When for once we need him?) However in the REP, the same as the chief medic, he will be where ever the etat major is. Which means when the commanding officer goes overseas with a motorized company, he will be there to look after Vhls park.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hopefully Le Petit Caporal is just pranking us to make us worry during the pandemic.

I also noticed in an interview with the Major, that he is wearing a para brevet but it does not say anything about him being in the Rep, just some time In 13dble, 2rei, and 4eme.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If he is wearing a para brevet, then more than likely he has served in the REP, or the Reggaie knights (REG - DINOPS). There are rare - very rare- where someone who has served in the French regulars and is rectified will wear his Para badge, but as I say it is rare -no-one wants to make a fool of himself. Not that I'm treating the French paras as anything less than Paras, it's just that they are not legion paras. I certainly do not want to offend anyone.
The -not quite the same thing- is for the medals. We had a cook (notice that I haven't said a chef as I would refer to an ACC of the Brit army as) who was a cook in the regulars also. On operations he was was getting some potatoes from the outside larder when an RGP hit the building next o him. He was slightly wounded and came out of it with a couple of medals: Valor militaire and bessé au combat + the OPEX he was more or less on. He wore his medals with pride.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hopefully Le Petit Caporal is just pranking us to make us worry during the pandemic.
I don't think so, I think that it is quite simply that he cannot reply for one reason or another. The bar tabacs are all closed in France so it may well be that he cannot get out to top up his phone. Perhaps he can look in, if that is the case, "here's to you le petit Cpl. Enjoy your Camerone"

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If he is wearing a para brevet, then more than likely he has served in the REP, or the Reggaie knights (REG - DINOPS). There are rare - very rare- where someone who has served in the French regulars and is rectified will wear his Para badge, but as I say it is rare -no-one wants to make a fool of himself. Not that I'm treating the French paras as anything less than Paras, it's just that they are not legion paras. I certainly do not want to offend anyone.
The -not quite the same thing- is for the medals. We had a cook (notice that I haven't said a chef as I would refer to an ACC of the Brit army as) who was a cook in the regulars also. On operations he was was getting some potatoes from the outside larder when an RGP hit the building next o him. He was slightly wounded and came out of it with a couple of medals: Valor militaire and bessé au combat + the OPEX he was more or less on. He wore his medals with pride.
Ah that's what seems to be the case here, he had served in the French Paras a year before he joined the Legion so that would explain the brevet, no matter.....

here is a link to an interview about his new book on recruitment in the Legion. In this interview he mentions a few things that really make me want to get the book just to further being prepared to present in selection. He mentions how the screening is to see if the recruit will be able to do ten tough years physically in the Legion, not just a few years and have to take a desk job or whatever...

https://www.breizh-info.com/2020/04...-michel-houssin-legionnaire-legion-etrangere/

Hopefully soon the book will be able to b had by those outside of France?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's funny that the title of the book is cadeau (albeit in the plural). When Erika and I were in Mali, I had to visit one of the mines. I took Erika with me and left her at the hotel. I was explaining to her how the women go out and work while the men sit around drinking tea and sorting out the problems of the world.
Up until then she had only seen Bamako. I said that most of the villagers would sit around and as soon as they saw a 'toubabou" they would just hold out their hand and say donnes-. moi cadeau On the way back, we stopped at a village so that the driver could buy himself some food. Next thing there were about 4 people who came up to us and uttered the magic words.
Needless to say I'm not father Christmas.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
1591035119230.png

Résumé

Ils sont neuf officiers supérieurs de la Légion étrangère à avoir pris la plume pour raconter la dernière décennie de combat de cette unité de légende. Pour la première fois, le lecteur accompagne les hommes au képi blanc en Afghanistan, en Guyane, en République de Centre Afrique, au Mali.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source: La Dépêche.fr (15.05.20)
Castelnaudary. Presque 2 siècles d' histoire
Written by the Major Houssin
Explains the Legions recruitment methods
Major Houssin is the bloke in the Tahitian pre selection video put on here a while back...we were legionnaires together in the same unit...
(Ex para regular = explains the wings)