New film on Northern Ireland conflict

S

Sarahlouise

Unregistered
Has anybody seen a new film called 71? Not sure if it has actually been released yet but it got a good review in my Week mag. Might pay a rare trip to the cinema!

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Released yesterday, I too want to see it. 50 dead men walking sparked my interest with the Northern Ireland conflict.

Brad Eldergar

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Not an expert on the history and conflict (I am a Swede...) but I think it was a great movie. A bit of both thriller and drama in a good way. A solid 4 of 5 points.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
i remember the conflict very well, the problem was basically that protestants and catholics had different views on who was the right kind of christianity. so they decided to kill everybody who disagreed with themselves. this is obviously exactly the same thing as the conflict between the shias and the sunnies in the middle east. its only taking soccer hooliganism to a higher level, where you use guns instead of fists, but otherwise it's the same thing. Fostår du nå?

The photo is of a stick of French Foreign Legion paratroopers in Algeria, 1959, I am third from left in the back row. Nothing to do with the subject, of course, but im having troubles uploading photos, so trying different angles.

OP
S

Sarahlouise

Unregistered
A very good film I thought. Harrowing but well worth a watch.

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
It was no "operation", it was a bloody war in my eyes, guys were killed and maimed, the only good thing that came from us being there, was that the British forces took lessons from that and applied in Iraq and afghan,thereby saving a hell of a lot of lives, it's been 15 years since I was last in Northern Ireland, sad to say, I will never be back in the place, ever, far too many bad memories for me

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
bit more than footy hoolagins johnny well armed and well trained were the ira and with the help of yank cash arab training a well dug in foe hard to wipe out they even brought a hotel down on maggie thatchers head ....( bitch did not die ) the killed a member of the royal family
(lord mount batton ).

OP
M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
It was no "operation", it was a bloody war in my eyes, guys were killed and maimed, the only good thing that came from us being there, was that the British forces took lessons from that and applied in Iraq and afghan,thereby saving a hell of a lot of lives, it's been 15 years since I was last in Northern Ireland, sad to say, I will never be back in the place, ever, far too many bad memories for me
I did two tours and was lucky I came back. I always remember one very cold January night on foot patrol on the border. We had just stopped for a smoke break and the sun was rising above the hills. my Platoon Bloke looked at three of us and said." How did such a beautiful country become so ****ed" !!!!!!!!!! Ive been back once just to lay some ghosts to rest I will not return again.

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
I did two tours and was lucky I came back. I always remember one very cold January night on foot patrol on the border. We had just stopped for a smoke break and the sun was rising above the hills. my Platoon Bloke looked at three of us and said." How did such a beautiful country become so ****ed" !!!!!!!!!! Ive been back once just to lay some ghosts to rest I will not return again.
I did four tours and lost my best friend.

I'll not be going back, ever!

OP
M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

As I said my ghosts are now laid to rest even though have family in the republic I haven't been over in decades ,wont be going either.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
i have been to derry a few times and up to mise,s town it is one of the nicest places i have been people are wecoming
country is stunning.
if you dwell on the past you are doomed to repeat it.
we all had mates on both sides in the legion it dont matter it was another time another place

OP
M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
i have been to derry a few times and up to mise,s town it is one of the nicest places i have been people are wecoming
country is stunning.
if you dwell on the past you are doomed to repeat it.
we all had mates on both sides in the legion it don't matter it was another time another place
Hence my quote Flash "How did such a beautiful country get so f...ked"

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Did 3 tours, 97,99 and 2000, contrary to popular belief, there wasn't peace during those times either, I was targeted as Both a child, and a soldier, I will never forget, nor forgive what those animals did to people

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

I hear you old adj! Did two tours there back in the early 70's when the shit was really hitting the fan! Lost a good mate. I will never go back . Too many bad memories!

CEA

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Has there ever been a clean war, the truth will never be told by film or book by the way I go back every year after all ghosts are only ghosts

MRPARIS

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I was just there in June. There will always be trouble there I think.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Has there ever been a clean war, the truth will never be told by film or book by the way I go back every year after all ghosts are only ghosts
You are absolutely right, I have exactly this dilemma with a manuscript about my experience during the Algerian war. Should I tell all the dirty truths, or should I filter it? What goes on in the Legion stays in the Legion? Is this misplaced loyalty? Should 'Je Suis Charlie' be my guiding light? Comments?

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
You are absolutely right, I have exactly this dilemma with a manuscript about my experience during the Algerian war. Should I tell all the dirty truths, or should I filter it? What goes on in the Legion stays in the Legion? Is this misplaced loyalty? Should 'Je Suis Charlie' be my guiding light? Comments?
I have had a similar dilemma with my military experiences, I am leaning towards filtering some of the stories so that some ghosts stay buried as not to upset my former colleagues and regiment. I am hoping to let my conscience be my guiding light so I am including the dirty truths in the draft but I will spend much time soul searching before I decide on where they go. Bonne chance avec votre decisions.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
lehman, thanks for your comments, it's something I have been debating with myself for more than half a century, and it cost me the Legion d'Honeur, but that's the last of my concerns.

Most viewed threads of the week