New film on Northern Ireland conflict

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
On the Irish Problem. I recall never a problem between the ex-Squaddies and ex-Provos in the Legion. They all got drunk together. The only Irish Nationalist fueled violence I ever saw was on St Patrick's day one year. We were sitting in one of the Chambres on a Sunday afternoon, a case of Kronnies open and Irish Music was playing. The lads were singing and we were all getting drunk. A "French" Legionnaire came in and wanted to know why they were flying the Italian Flag and everyone went quiet until that is Paddy got up and punched Frenchie in the head and threw him outside.

I have completed two write-ups on my service for posterity. (Family)

On the RMs' there are personal amusing anecdotes and general service details.

On my service in the Colonial Police, I have indicated the riots, murders, indiscriminate IEDs' 9000 of which one in eight were live, resulting in the death and injury to ATOs' and other bomb disposal experts. I have also mentioned the shooting on the border of 7 of my colleagues in one morning. Two more subsequently died of gunshot wounds.

Fake IEDs' were placed to disrupt the community and also to ambush those that went to attend to the scene. I also have photos of my land rover punctured by grenade shrapnel.

I was on permanent standby for six months commanding a specific unit and many members of the general public and emergency services were killed or maimed. (Over 800.) During the period we arrested over 5000 persons.

We also had 'detention without trial' with would be bomb makers and other dissidents incarcerated at the White House, euphemistically called the Zoo.

I mention no names and I have not mentioned alleged retribution taken by my brothers in arms. Such allegations whether they can be attributed to individuals as true or false are better served by discretion.

mulgarat

Legionnaire
There was one Catholic from Belfast I can't remember his name right now. Complete piss head. We were doing Crowd Control training and had the Shield and the Matracs for dealing with civil unrest. "Paddy" was playing "enemy" during an exercise and the line met. Good natured pushing, jostling and shoving ensued as they pressed against our line trying to break through. The line opened up and a snatch squad rushed out and beat a few to the ground and dragged them behind the line which then closed up again. The line opened again and they went for Paddy who by now was in some sort of frenzy. They tried to grab him but he fought them off howling like a banshee. He then lost his shirt, torn off and was last seen running out the company grounds screaming half naked. Flash back or just a lunatic? Who knows but Fek me it was one of the funniest days of the whole experience. I still laugh about it.

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Mulgarat,the only time I saw problems with the paddy's was Djibouti 1990 (Jan-Mai) we came down from Arta for the weekend.Two Irish nutters of different 'persuasions' wanted to sort out their difference of opinions.Gungy Whyte* dragged both outside (3Cie DBLE) all was sorted after 30 minutes.The two silly bastards became good mates.*RIP brother...the sun is still shining.
Ossie off topic. There was a documentary made about the Legion circa 1990-91. Was on VHS never been able to find it. An Australian was being interviewed in Calvi around the citadel and he is seen again finishing the commando course where he has to run, stop, do roule boule as an attacker jumps out, engarde, kicks him in the nuts or fights him off and then runs off to do it again. Was that you?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ossie off topic. There was a documentary made about the Legion circa 1990-91. Was on VHS never been able to find it. An Australian was being interviewed in Calvi around the citadel and he is seen again finishing the commando course where he has to run, stop, do roule boule as an attacker jumps out, engarde, kicks him in the nuts or fights him off and then runs off to do it again. Was that you?
Nah, that was me, mate

Interesting thread, there has been many wars and as was mentioned by CEA none of them have been "clean" but this one sounds like the worst or one of. I know very little if anything about it but am encouraged to learn more so thank you. As for those of you who served and lost my condolences and thanks go out to you. Please do not feel the need to respond but given the opportunity that I am selected into La Legion and almost if not inevitably face loosing at least one comrade and/or friend and comrade and possibly also being witness to it I am curious about the grievance and coping process. I know that it is very subject to each individual and how they cope but I still feel that provided they are comfortable with sharing however much which is rare and not expected it can possibly assist both them and those who have yet to and may experience it themselves. Please again, do not feel the need respond. Thank you.

I just did a little research and I will quote what was read: "it has been described as a war" as well as "it was not a religious conflict." Correct me if I am wrong but why would think it was anything but?:s

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
There was one Catholic from Belfast I can't remember his name right now. Complete piss head. We were doing Crowd Control training and had the Shield and the Matracs for dealing with civil unrest. "Paddy" was playing "enemy" during an exercise and the line met. Good natured pushing, jostling and shoving ensued as they pressed against our line trying to break through. The line opened up and a snatch squad rushed out and beat a few to the ground and dragged them behind the line which then closed up again. The line opened again and they went for Paddy who by now was in some sort of frenzy. They tried to grab him but he fought them off howling like a banshee. He then lost his shirt, torn off and was last seen running out the company grounds screaming half naked. Flash back or just a lunatic? Who knows but Fek me it was one of the funniest days of the whole experience. I still laugh about it.
Brought back memories of tin city lydde and hyde near Folkestone Happy Days

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Nah, that was me, mate
Nice try Jonny, it was neither of you. Pretty sure his "name" was Douglas.
After the name of the Video. Collating any old footage I can find on "Combat Corps a Corps" in the Legion as part of a video presentation on the military history of Savate. Want to use that scene in the Video. Maybe should start a new thread.

You are absolutely right, I have exactly this dilemma with a manuscript about my experience during the Algerian war. Should I tell all the dirty truths, or should I filter it? What goes on in the Legion stays in the Legion? Is this misplaced loyalty? Should 'Je Suis Charlie' be my guiding light? Comments?
Well, you are basically documenting history, to it's important to present everything as it happened. Let history be the judge if their actions were valid or not, otherwise it would be a fictional and romanticised story.

Perun

Super Active Member
I saw the movie yesterday, liked it very much. Pretty chaotic place for a sane man to be in '71.

A few months ago, I saw "Good vibrations". Happens in same time and place but a completly different view and focus - Belfast music and youth at the time. Sort of how punkrock came to Belfast.
At one point in the movie, main characters are stopped by Brit soldiers. After quick inspection of their van, a soldier asks in doubt: " ..You have Catholics and Protestant in this van together??? "
A guy replied: ".. I don't know, It never came to me to ask !?..."
It was funny...

Most viewed threads of the week