New identity?

Hi all! New to this site which has been helpful reading so far. This may have already been covered but once fulfilling a contract in the Legion for say a 5-10 years under a new identity when it comes to gaining citizenship/French passport will this be under your new identity or your original one? Thanks in advance guys.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hi Ragnarok and welcome to the forum. I can tell that you are new to the forum as instead of telling us a bit about yourself, all that you have done is asked about gaining a French passport :oops:.
Your new identity is only good for the Legion administration. It means that although you will will have a French military driving licence, you cannot legally drive a civilian car with it, but can drive a French military vehicle. You can go to another country with the Legion using an administrative passport under your Legion name, but you cannot go on leave with it. Basically because you'll be lucky if the bureau-major allows you to have it for more than an hour before taking it back off you :whistle:. Your bank account will be in your new Legion name.
When you leave the Legion or apply for French citizenship you must be ‘rectified’, which means that you get back your real identity. You can ask to be rectified after a couple of years (you will have to ask your bureau major how long it is).
Hope that helps.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply guys! Yeah I should have gave you guys a little more info on my background. Well I'm a 30 year old guy with a basic level of fitness. I have intentions of giving it my best shot of joining the Legion mid next year so I guessed a good 6 months of solid progressive training should get me up to standard.
I do have some assault convictions from a while back which I don't think will be that much of an issue. I have no previous military experience but did try to join the Royal Marines a couple of years ago but was knocked back for a tattoo on my neck. I quite like the idea of the FFL so will have questions in the future :).

Ah... Definitely it wasn't anything racist or offensive or excessive in size just it sat a little above the collar of the RM formal dress. I honestly don't see the issue, as I have mates in the forces who have more tattoos on show than me and at the time I was at fitness requirements, my reasons for choosing the FFL over the British forces is simply down to I figured I may see see more combat in my time with the Legion! I may be completely wrong.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
Ah definitely it wasn't anything racist or offensive or excessive in size just it sat a little above the collar or of the RM formal dress. I honestly Dont see the issue as I have mates in the forces who have more tattoos on show than me and at the time I was at fitness requirements, my reasons for choosing the ffl over the British forces is simply down to I figured I may see see more combat in my time with the legion! I may be completely wrong.
i had tattoos well before i was 18 & i knew guys with tattoos on their hands & neck in the 80s. the typical swallows on the hands & cut around the neck. The Army then did not worry too much. OK you would not be a Military police soldier or Intelligence corps..but infantry , Tanks; Artillery, Engineers...no probs. Trust me we had a few thugs in our regiment..were not bright but good hard guys when you needed the job done. The Army needed those sort of guys too.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
Yeah that's was my thoughts what difference does a tattoo make to how you fire a rifle?
only time it played a role then, maybe not now is if you got a commision as in RSM to Officer. we did have one guy go straight from the ranks a Bdr (Bombardier) to Officer which he applied for. I met him on the train to Catterick Garrison a Geordie Lad when i was on my way to my transfer to the Royal Signals. He was 137 Battery in 40 Field RA .

I'm not sure how that would work. I do know that you have to publish your name being changed somewhere official (mayor's office perhaps?) I'm really not sure on that one.
Well it's a new name to go under and they'll have to keep some record. It's not a way to hide from the police (gone are those days).

If you apply for french citizenship, ask to change your name. Keep the name the Legion gave you when you joined , if you want or some thing else
You can do this in thé UK too
Now you mention this, it could "almost" separate your identities.

John Doe of the USA goes to Legion.
Become Jean Dupont whilst serving.
Gains French citizenship and changes name to Jean Dupont (who is French citizen).
Now when you return or god knows what else you are Jean Dupont, French Citizen.

Now this wouldn't fool intelligence agencies and any competent background check, but if someone wants to start a new life this could be as close as one could get.

Am I correct?

Nowadays, if you want to start a new life. ..best to go off line
Technicaly, it is possible...
When you join the Legion. ..you are given a temporary name. .after a certain time (3 years, 4 or 5, you will return to your original name (if you ask for) What ever. When you leave the Legion, you will have returned to your original name (no exceptions)
When you have left or even before you leave the Legion. ..you can ask for french citizenship (not guarented)
When you apply for french citizenship. .you can ask for a french or not sounding name
The first case is supposedly to ease intégration (see Alex Ben Allah)
For me, you are nowt else but a matricule and eventualy a rank
Post Shitum
Such radical questioning about false identités makes me think and advice you, do not ask the Legion Gestapo for info. .. (obvisouly hiding some thing)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Now this wouldn't fool intelligence agencies and any competent background check, but if someone wants to start a new life this could be as close as one could get.

Am I correct?
I don't know. I would like to know answer to it. 50 y ago (or even less) that would fool-trick many of intelligence agencies (maybe) .These days, I think no F-ing chances. Only if France secret service really want to take you under its umbrella for some reason (BTW that is not achievable to almost all regular legionnaires) and even those who somehow came into that category still wouldn't be protected from CIA and MI6 sniffers. Also KGB (ex) would have their share of knowledge.

Even irrelevant countries as Serbia have really strong mini-info-department working undercover in to FFL. Yeah, I know that! So guys coming from US, UK and other NATO countries. Also Russia, China and even a lot of unimportant countries. You can be pretty much sure that your home country intelligence agency would have knowledge about your enlistment. Soon after you put your kepi blanc.

Maybe I'm just paranoid fool and don't take this with any severity. ;)

Really good thing in all this cluster f*ck situation is that they probably wouldn't give F*uck for majority of you.
Only if they need you they can pull your name out of drawer and ask you to "serve to your country" with no lot of options left for you.

I don't know how much this is actually plead in FFL, but smart man, people with some power, French patriots and Legion loyalist have to fight strongly against against it.

But hey, I'm just drunk talking nonsense. WTF do I know? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you are rectified, you can then have your name Francisé which means for example if your name is John, it will be come Jean or Peter becomes Pierre or Mohamed to Marcel etc.
Of course there will be traces and Interpol and whatnot aren't dumb. When the are looking for some or want to verify a name, they will have all the aliases come up. And unless you are Dutch and want to change your date of birth to make yourself look twenty years younger, there is no way of going unnoticed.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply guys! Yeah I should have gave you guys a little more info on my background. Well I'm a 30 year old guy with a basic level of fitness. I have intentions of giving it my best shot of joining the legion mid next year so I guessed a good 6 months of solid progressive training should get me up to standard, I do have some assault convictions from a while back which I Dont think will be that much of an issue. I have no previous military experience but did try to join the royal marines a couple of year ago but was knocked back for a tattoo on my neck. I quite likrle the idea of the ffl so will have questions in the future :)
My flight leaves on the 12th, I've been all over this forum and feel like I know what to expect. I have learned alot about what the FFL is and how it operates, but part of me is still anxious. I have served 6 years in the US Army reserve with an honorable discharge, but I cannot reenlist with my army because of a misdemeanor I got in 2011. My service was from 2008 to 2014. US marines wont take me because of an arm tattoo being a quarter inch to large 🙄. I'll let you know of my turnout when I can. Good luck to you.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
I don't know. I would like to know answer to it. 50 y ago (or even less) that would fool-trick many of intelligence agencies (maybe) .These days, I think no F-ing chances. Only if France secret service really want to take you under its umbrella for some reason (BTW that is not achievable to almost all regular legionnaires) and even those who somehow came into that category still wouldn't be protected from CIA and MI6 sniffers. Also KGB (ex) would have their share of knowledge.

Even irrelevant countries as Serbia have really strong mini-info-department working undercover in to FFL. Yeah, I know that! So guys coming from US, UK and other NATO countries. Also Russia, China and even a lot of unimportant countries. You can be pretty much sure that your home country intelligence agency would have knowledge about your enlistment. Soon after you put your kepi blanc.

Maybe I'm just paranoid fool and don't take this with any severity. ;)

Really good thing in all this cluster f*ck situation is that they probably wouldn't give F*uck for majority of you.
Only if they need you they can pull your name out of drawer and ask you to "serve to your country" with no lot of options left for you.

I don't know how much this is actually plead in FFL, but smart man, people with some power, French patriots and Legion loyalist have to fight strongly against against it.

But hey, I'm just drunk talking nonsense. WTF do I know? ;)
Dude ...you think too much. Get out more & meet real people... LOL. I would be Jean _Paul if in the Legion. Yes I like that :)

Most viewed threads of the week