New member introduction , questions

OP
K
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Right then Kevin listen up ! I'm thinking of selling this info in an app. The only way that you are going to get yourself motivated is by joining clubs. The local gym is alright, but if it's like the gym I go to, forget it : more talk about Brexit and the new law passed in Thailand for expats than pumping iron β˜• Dusa by PM for the coffee cup meaning.
Running club, boxing club, rowing club, cycling club, you name it club. You then have to look around for the local running races and cross country races.
Don't tell me that there are no races in your area. No-one is expecting you to come in first, just that you finish the race. Because if Papillion's vision of

is true then you absolutely have to get in the Kay Gees on the road and through the meadows.
Have you read the book 'the loneliness of a long distance runner?' β˜•
I thought not. It's about a youth who is in prison but is allowed out in the early hours of the morning to train for cross country races.
Keep us up to date with your races πŸ†’
I'll join a local muay thai gym , its the best thing I know of locally for getting fit will look into running clubs as well , seen a few threads on here regarding what standard is expected of me when it comes to fitness so I have an idea of what I have to be able to acheive. I'll check that book out and let you know how I'm progressing

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Hi Ex-Pongo, it's good to her from you. The guy is 29, so unless he tries for the TA, I can't see it. Actually if Kevin has his heart set on the legion in a year, then going for the TAs in the meantime might be a good thing.
In fact it would even help him during the recruiting.
Hey Joseph, same to you mate. Can't you join the Brit army up to around 34 these days? was 26 when I joined but that was a while ago now.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
I'd always recommend boxing as a fitness tool. None of the 'fashion fitness' crap, just old-school training. And nothing is more motivating than going toe to toe with a man.
Should help with your goals Kev.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I reckon I'll have to apply no older than 30 to have any chance
Do it bro... But you got to be realistic about Fitness. Can you maintain a high Standard for say the Rep.. Might be better going engineers. Not that they are not fit too but a Job where you'll fit in.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'd always recommend boxing as a fitness tool. None of the 'fashion fitness' crap, just old-school training. And nothing is more motivating than going toe to toe with a man.
Should help with your goals Kev.
Yeah... None of this behind stuff... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
For the Legion, the sport that will get you noticed is running and anything else is, 'RABIO'!

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do it bro... But you got to be realistic about Fitness. Can you maintain a high Standard for say the Rep.. Might be better going engineers. Not that they are not fit too but a Job where you'll fit in.
Being honest I think I can get myself fit enough if I'm consistent and thorough , only thing I worry about thats outside my control is being rejected medically

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Being honest I think I can get myself fit enough if I'm consistent and thorough , only thing I worry about thats outside my control is being rejected medically
My view is this if you are not fit now and have waisted all these years not participating in sport fitness then really have a good think about your options, you say you want to go to the REP, when someone is life long active not only do they stay reasonable fit but more important they build stamina along with coping skills and self awareness of how far or how deep they can go, and still keep 5/10 % back.
Set your goals that are achievable join a crap hat Legion regiment and over time you may get in a position to be considered for the REP

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
My view is this if you are not fit now and have waisted all these years not participating in sport fitness then really have a good think about your options, you say you want to go to the REP, when someone is life long active not only do they stay reasonable fit but more important they build stamina along with coping skills and self awareness of how far or how deep they can go, and still keep 5/10 % back.
Set your goals that are achievable join a crap hat Legion regiment and over time you may get in a position to be considered for the REP
You should add after join a crap hat Regiment.. Not to spend so much time in jail like you. Just saying. πŸ˜‰

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
You should add after join a crap hat Regiment.. Not to spend so much time in jail like you. Just saying. πŸ˜‰
Very true. Their was a time when it was viewed that not going straight from basic to the REP was the gay entry point! I personally don’t hold that view as some good lads came to the REP via the back door.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Is the Spanish Legion still going? We had a guy that deserted from their and joined, said.it was like Tarmac working on roads and stuff like that

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Hi Papi,
As far as I know they are still based in the Spanish enclaves in Morocco. I had a few beer with some of them in Melilla in the mid 80s and got along with them very well. I was actually seriously joining the Spanish legion when I left the French legion in 1962 as well. I had no further interest in the French legion then because the war in Algeria ended at the same time, and I knew that a peacetime legion would just be wall-to-wall corvees. But eventuall I justwent back to sea. I have copied some further information.

Β«The Spanish Legion evacuated the Moroccan Protectorate in February 1961, and the Spanish Sahara in February 1976. The Legion’s most active service of late has been in the unusual role of United Nations peacekeeper in Central America, the former Yugoslavia, and Africa. Today, its most exotic recent member is a Sikh from India and its main foreign source of enlistees is Africa. The 7,000-strong Spanish Foreign Legion garrisons two fortress enclaves on the Moroccan coast, Melilla and Ceuta. Held by Spain for more than 500 years, they are duly considered Spanish soil. Should Spain ever give them up, then perhaps the Legion that shouted and sang about death will itself finally die.Β»

I love watching them marching and singing β€˜El novio de la Muerte’ though, their regimental song.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Kev, you joined the forum on the 1st of March. It's Sunday 3rd, what progress have you made? Have you joined a club? Have you checked out which cross country races or road races are on in your area.
Talk won't get you in the legion, it's action that will get you there.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand

Attachments

OP
K
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Infantry i think it"s too late but other Corps will take him & The royal Marines Till i think 32..but 29/30 is still a chance for the LΓ©gion too. He's still young
I reckon I'll have to apply no older than 30 to have any chance

Most viewed threads of the week