a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING New Member

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey everyone

I'm 24 years old and from New Zealand. I'm preparing to make the trip to France and try my luck with the legion mid way through this year.

I won't bulls$it you and say I've always wanted to be a legionnaire (if I had, I'd already be one or at the very least, I'd be writing in French). However, I have always wanted to be one ever since I found out about them about one month ago.

I do have my fair share of naive and overly romantic reasons for being drawn to life in the FFL, but I'll spare you those and instead give a little information about me.

I dropped out of high school to get away from my father's drug issues and start working. I fell flat on my face immediately and ended up homeless. After a rough few years I avoided committing crime and suicide just long enough to build a life for myself. I think the whole experience made me a lot more well rounded personality wise and tougher than I otherwise would have become. But I need to start fresh, I want something to dedicate my life to and to leave everything here behind and the legion seems like a perfect fit.

From my research so far, beyond physical fitness, selection can be a bit of a lottery but any advice would be appreciated. I'm working on my pull ups, push ups and running, and building a foundation of French so I can pick it up quickly once I'm in that enviroment. I also speak Russian if that is any advantage to me at all.

Also, happy new year guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Toshi and welcome to the forum. Join a running club and keep any all certificates. It's great to tell us that you are training up for the legion, what you have to do is prove it at Aubagne. Don't mention suicide on here again as we know that the forum is monitored.
It's worth looking at the I. Q. test too.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I won't bulls$it you and say I've always wanted to be a legionnaire (if I had, I'd already be one or at the very least, I'd be writing in French). However, I have always wanted to be one ever since I found out about them about one month ago.
HI Toshi. You never heard about legion until one month ago are you didn't know any details. Maybe you should explore little more and thinking through lil bit longer before joining. Its for 5 y min.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
HI Toshi. You never heard about legion until one month ago are you didn't know any details. Maybe you should explore little more and thinking through lil bit longer before joining. Its for 5 y min.
It's not as though Toshi is coming from a 3rd world country. Good advice on reading up about the legion before joining, it's a long way to go for a wakeup call.
Saying that we are here to help and to guide you all the way right up to the front door, hell I'd even ring the bell and then run off and hide in the bushes while the Cch comes to answer, if I thought it would do any good.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It's not as though Toshi is coming from a 3rd world country. Good advice on reading up about the legion before joining, it's a long way to go for a wakeup call.
Saying that we are here to help and to guide you all the way right up to the front door, hell I'd even ring the bell and then run off and hide in the bushes while the Cch comes to answer, if I thought it would do any good.
:)
Do you think it's normal for "third world" countries that everyone know about FFL because is option for better life? It's just hard today not to hear about FFL wherever you live because significant presence in pop culture.
And of course we all know Joe that New Zealand is center of the world. :) If there isn't for a few islands in middle of Pacific New Zealand would be most godforsaken place on earth. :)
Toshi Nothing against Kiwis. Actually I think you guys are great. Just standard messing around with Joe.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Peter and welcome to the forum, we salut you
Avé

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Welcome Toshi, best of luck to you. I say do as much research about the motivational tests, aptitude tests, and selection centers. As well as, sticking to your workout routine. I am planning on going to The Legion soon as well. I wish you the best of luck and happy new years!

Most viewed threads of the week