a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Lol well im also getting a gun for work since I work security and am going to armed but it won't solve all of my problems as far as self defense goes and they also teach you how to defend against weapons so a gun would be pretty irrelevant in that situation anyway lol

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Yeah i will :) i just want be as prepared as possible and as far as self defense it seems the best
Make sure that you take your membership card with with you. Should they hand out any certificates for various levels take them along too.
Now for the big question, Have you joined a running or orienteering club, hell even a walking club which requires a membership will do.

Not really related, but do you play mindcraft (or whatever it's called) ?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
When you say club are you talking about like a cross country class in college or like a private school kind of thing? No i never played mind craft in more of a runescape guy lol. Also call of duty lol.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Joe, if someone playing PC games that doesn't mean that he playing all the time and have no physical activity at all.
There is certain number of gamers who really playing games whole day long and doing nothing else. Those guys are addicts and there should made distinction between them and someone who playing no more to some 2h per day.

Also I see that older lads have opinion that guys who play war games and wanting to join army doing that because they are motivated by them and don't make difference between real life and game. I'm not saying that there is no idiots like that but most guys are smart enough to understand that difference.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Lol well im also getting a gun for work since I work security and am going to armed but it won't solve all of my problems as far as self defense goes and they also teach you how to defend against weapons so a gun would be pretty irrelevant in that situation anyway lol
I'm not big fan of most versions of Krav Maga I saw. It's more skill that having good name than real life applicability. There is many better self defense martial arts out there...Like touch of death. :)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Idk if you know what you are talking about because krav maga is literally the most practical form of self defense that alot of militaries use.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Idk if you know what you are talking about because krav maga is literally the most practical form of self defense that alot of militaries use.
And how many militaries are involved in unarmed combat today? Bar fights aside.
Why we don't see krav maga experts in MMA tournament ?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Because its about on the streets not fighting in a ring. Ive seen people Disarming people with guns knifes any kind of situation or taking on multiple people as well as defending others from attacks. Alot of militaries have hand to hand combat situations that is why they teach you combatives in the army and other militaries. You honestly can't even compare the real life situations that people will experience vs a ring. Mma has alot of rules but in real life there are no rules and that is what krav maga is about. You don't know what kind of weapon your enemy might have or what kind of situation you might face and that is what it prepares you for. Real life vs the ring is not the same at all.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Because its about on the streets not fighting in a ring. Ive seen people Disarming people with guns knifes any kind of situation or taking on multiple people as well as defending others from attacks. Alot of militaries have hand to hand combat situations that is why they teach you combatives in the army and other militaries. You honestly can't even compare the real life situations that people will experience vs a ring. Mma has alot of rules but in real life there are no rules and that is what krav maga is about. You don't know what kind of weapon your enemy might have or what kind of situation you might face and that is what it prepares you for. Real life vs the ring is not the same at all.
Been doing martial arts for over a decade now. They’re all the same. A double-leg takedown in wrestling is the same as a double-leg takedown in BJJ. The differences are of course in rules of competitions, but you can still apply anything you learn from “sport” fighting to real fighting. Differences in the various arts are more differences in culture. Wrestling culture, whether it’s catch wrestling or freestyle etc, is very focused on power and strength, but something like Japanese Jiu-Jitsu focuses much more on technique than power. I could rant about this all day, but basically what I’m getting at is there is value in any sort of fighting sport because the moves you learn can be applied across the board. To say on sport is best, that’s not what you’re saying I know, is very silly. When a wrestler beats a jiu-jitsu fighter in a fight it doesn’t mean wrestling is better or that jiu-jitsu is worse, it means the wrestler was just a better fighter. Anyone trying to tell you there way is best is just advertising for their own product.

I don’t mean to sound pretentious, I just felt like bringing it up cause it’s a big part of my life.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Been doing martial arts for over a decade now. They’re all the same.
Fin-man, no! They are not all the same. I understand what you want to say ,but all arts you mentioned here are what I consider to be real martial arts.
Apart that group I separate martial arts in half BS and total BS groups. And I think krav maga is half bull sh*t martial art.
I can challenge anyone on that, both verbally (by explaining why I think isn't good for real life situations) and physically if needed...

Simply any martial art which have cooperating dancing partner and not resisting sparring partner can't prepare you for real combat. And KM as much I saw have exactly that. If someone have video of KM where opponent giving some real resistance I would like to see that.

Also big dislike a have towards KM (and many similar things) is that they teach people to confront multiple and armed opponents on the street !?! I know there is techniques to defend from knife and gun attack, but for good sake not use that if you aren't sure that is last resort. Give you money, do what guy with weapon tells you to do and if you can... run!

I had that unfortunate to be confronting both with gun and knife on street and probably only reason why am able to write this now is because guys didn't had true intention to hurt me. But if I tried some krav maga sh*t on them they could easily change their mind. And majority of those successful defences of unarmed guys against weapons you se on youtube is successful because there wasn't real intention of attacker to hurt anybody in the first place.

One more thing. Your mind in that situation is nothing like you do on training. it's totally in different place and no way you can train for that.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Frankie, first to say that I don't have anything personal against you. I have this anti -krav maga agenda here long time before you came. (which you can check in search box)

Believe me, in-ring experience with opponent who really wants to hurt you is closest you will get to street fight without really going thru real thing. If you were never in that situation you never know how long 2-3 minutes can be. :)

Greetings!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It doesn't take two years to get to an acceptable level of fitness. Your body will remember the US Army and respond, the first few weeks are the worst, then it comes back and never forget if you don't mind it does not matter