a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member!

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Bonjour,

First of all, thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I do intend to join the Legion and I confirm that I have read the forum's Miranda's warning. Altought I feel like I have nothing to hide, I will be mindful of what I say here in the forums.

I have joined because I wanted to learn more about the Legion and read people's experiences. I don't know what I can contribute as of right now but maybe one day. I'm preparing myself to join next year and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

As many others, the Legion for me is the last chance to fulfill an almost forgotten call, the call to be a soldier and the honor to serve in the legendary Legion. I don't want to butcher my chances by getting there unprepared.

I hope I can meet some of you next year in the Legion, even if we don't know it.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rene,

A perfect boilerplate French name, perfect use of colloquial English without error, and yet you come from Brazil?

Would you like to offer us a little more detail how all those worlds collide?

You don't have to of course - it would just be helpful.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Welcome Rene, we are on the same boat here! Enjoy the forum, listen to what les Anciens have to say, and best of luck!
Thank you, hope to see you there in 2022!

Hi Rene,

A perfect boilerplate French name, perfect use of colloquial English without error, and yet you come from Brazil?

Would you like to offer us a little more detail how all those worlds collide?

You don't have to of course - it would just be helpful.
Bonjour Kronenberg,

The French name is a nom de plume. I thought "René" as in "Reborn" was symbolic/poetic :p

About the English, I will slip up here and there I'm sure. I studied English for a long time and I practice it daily. I hope it counts for something when I try join. I will also try to have a firm grasp on French by the time I knock on the Legion's door.

About Brazil, I am truly Brazillian. Anything you want to ask about Brazil I will be happy to answer!

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Hmmm... That's the sort of tough talk that'll get you places on here.

We may need to break out the aromatic anointing oil I suspect.
Hahaha René, don't worry goes way back this anointing oil thing, if you're into this kind of stuff I suggest you to keep it for yourself unless you want Kronenberg all over the place! LoL

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hmmm... That's the sort of tough talk that'll get you places on here.

We may need to break out the aromatic anointing oil I suspect.
I don't understand what you mean... I assume the places you speak of are bad places? The name is just me being silly, I know that you get a different name when you join the Legion (at least for a while, right?) and I thought it was symbolic.

Hahaha René don't worry goes way back this anointing oil thing, if you're into this kind of stuff I suggest you to keep it for yourself unless you want Kronenberg all over the place! LoL
Thank you sort of explaning, Fabrizio. Lol. I will try to mind my "transcendental bullsh$t" :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Well buddy I was looking at the map prior to posting this reply, why well I new Scotland was small but compared to Brazil it’s small, I’m into my history and consider myself extremely Scottish! You might want to step back with your suggestions of “ anything you want to no about Brazil as I’m learning my history every day, “just ask” big statement in my eyes sure you have the time googling questions on Brazil all day so you don’t end up with egg on your face? Up to you but I’m happy to send you a question every single day and they ain’t going to be easy mind you who knows you might be related to Raymond! Kro just had a light bulb moment Dustin Hoffman played Papillon and Raymond.
Let me no if your offer still stands or you would rather concentrate on pull ups and other stuff to get you ready to knock on the big door!
Have a good day.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bonjour,

First of all, thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I do intend to join the Legion and I confirm that I have read the forum's Miranda's warning. Altought I feel like I have nothing to hide, I will be mindful of what I say here in the forums.

I have joined because I wanted to learn more about the Legion and read people's experiences. I don't know what I can contribute as of right now but maybe one day. I'm preparing myself to join next year and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

As many others, the Legion for me is the last chance to fulfill an almost forgotten call, the call to be a soldier and the honor to serve in the legendary Legion. I don't want to butcher my chances by getting there unprepared.

I hope I can meet some of you next year in the Legion, even if we don't know it.

OK let's start again Rene,

Let's kick off by LPC's basic scan so we can "see" you:

Age?
Height?
Weight?
Teeth?
Injuries?
Sports you are active in?
Previous Military?
Motivation to join?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi René and welcome to the forum. I'm always one of the last people to welcome people to the forum because of the time difference.
Where on earth did you learn to speak perfect English from?

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Welcome René
Thank you!
Hello. Well buddy I was looking at the map prior to posting this reply, why well I new Scotland was small but compared to Brazil it’s small, I’m into my history and consider myself extremely Scottish! You might want to step back with your suggestions of “ anything you want to no about Brazil as I’m learning my history every day, “just ask” big statement in my eyes sure you have the time googling questions on Brazil all day so you don’t end up with egg on your face? Up to you but I’m happy to send you a question every single day and they ain’t going to be easy mind you who knows you might be related to Raymond! Kro just had a light bulb moment Dustin Hoffman played Papillon and Raymond.
Let me no if your offer still stands or you would rather concentrate on pull ups and other stuff to get you ready to knock on the big door!
Have a good day.
Bonjour Papillon,

It's interesting you say you consider yourself "extremely Scottish", I don't know if I could consider myself "extremely Brazillian", probably not. Not out of hate or anything. Just how I truly feel

Indeed, I don't think I know enough to answer every general question you could throw my way haha. But my offer was more connected to things you can't easily know about a culture just by googling. I belive you have met many Brazillians, but maybe you don't keep in touch, they are from a different generation, or they have been far away from Brazil for a long time...Maybe I could give you an updated vision on how I see things while I'm still living here?

But you are right... I do have to work on my pull ups! So maybe I can't actually answer "any" questions, but I will be happy to try to contribute to the forum!

Thank you for your reply!

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
OK let's start again Rene,

Let's kick off by LPC's basic scan so we can "see" you:

Age?
Height?
Weight?
Teeth?
Injuries?
Sports you are active in?
Previous Military?
Motivation to join?
Of course!

Height: 190 cm

Weight: 88 kg

Teeth: I lost a tooth to a cavity but I had it fixed. I will do X-rays before I travel to make sure I don't have any hidden cavities between my teeth cause this is what made me lose that one. Everything else is fine, a few repairs here and there. I also still have my "wisdom teeth", but they are out completely and never caused me any issue

Injuries: None, but I will start doing some knee strengthening exercises because I heard some people suffer with knee pains on the long marches? I never had knee pain but I also never marched with a heavy backpack up a mountain for hours on end.

Sports you are active in: Boxing. But I never competed or anything. I just have been practicing it for a long time. I stopped for a while but recently started again.

Previous Military: Unfortunately not...

Motivation to Join: I will stay true to my word and follow Gregori's advice, so no transcendental stuff like honor and a higher call. Although I feel like they play a huge role on all of this...

More "down to earth" reasons, not in any particular order, are:

1. I think a life in Europe will be a better life than here in Brazil, for obvious reasons. And I see serving in the Legion as a proper way of achieve citizenship.

2. I have nothing here in Brazil. What is left of my close family members are moving away, I'm not married, I don't have kids. I lost my job in August. I didn't pass on the exam for a police job I was studying for. I feel like there is not gonna be another time like this in my life where I'm so completely out of any attachments. Perfect timing for a new beginning. Don't get me wrong, this decision is not fueled by emotion. I always wanted to be a soldier, I just thought that the ship had sailed for me.

3. As I mentioned, I always wanted the experience the military life. My father was in the military, my grandfather was in the military. Feels right. Not being accepted way back always kept me thinking "what if?". I could never shake it off.

4. I worked abroad in two separate occasions and I hiked for 2 days alone with little supplies through a place I didn't know very well. Aside from this, I never really risked much in life, never adventured much, I never "tested my mettle(?)". My youth is already going away. I think the Legion is the place where I will find such an adventure.

I think that's what I can think of right now...but I will be glad to answer more questions.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thank you!

Bonjour Papillon,

It's interesting you say you consider yourself "extremely Scottish", I don't know if I could consider myself "extremely Brazillian", probably not. Not out of hate or anything. Just how I truly feel

Indeed, I don't think I know enough to answer every general question you could throw my way haha. But my offer was more connected to things you can't easily know about a culture just by googling. I belive you have met many Brazillians, but maybe you don't keep in touch, they are from a different generation, or they have been far away from Brazil for a long time...Maybe I could give you an updated vision on how I see things while I'm still living here?

But you are right... I do have to work on my pull ups! So maybe I can't actually answer "any" questions, but I will be happy to try to contribute to the forum!

Thank you for your reply!
Yes you have a point “extremely” had me reflecting think I was probably going back a bit far to the days of the Tartan Army, or other names the group went via in the early 1970s, might have been better out if I say I was a silent supporter of the group “Scottish Extremist”prepared to fight for my country, I was never part of the group but if things had ramped up at that stage in my life I would have got more active than just a supporter of their cause.
Your grip on English is very good, but it’s French that will advance you goals!

Attachments

• 0ACD2033-4DFB-454D-8BB4-866A1BB29C25.jpeg
    0ACD2033-4DFB-454D-8BB4-866A1BB29C25.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hi René and welcome to the forum. I'm always one of the last people to welcome people to the forum because of the time difference.
Where on earth did you learn to speak perfect English from?
Bonjour Cosgrove,

Sorry about the language there. I will be mindful!

Thank you! But I slip here and there, I speak better than I write. I took a private course when I was young but mostly I really immerged myself in the language with books, movies, music, games etc. This is probably going to be my strategy for French aswell. I also worked legally in the USA for a few months, but by that time I was already fluent.

Hopefully I can learn as much French as I can before knocking on the doors of the Legion. I want to give it my absolutely best shot!

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Just a heads-up about the French language. English speakers have a tough time learning it. I think Portuguese kinda helps though, it's one of the romance languages after all (like french).

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Yes you have a point “extremely” had me reflecting think I was probably going back a bit far to the days of the Tartan Army, or other names the group went via in the early 1970s, might have been better out if I say I was a silent supporter of the group “Scottish Extremist”prepared to fight for my country, I was never part of the group but if things had ramped up at that stage in my life I would have got more active than just a supporter of their cause.
Your grip on English is very good, but it’s French that will advance you goals!
I honestly don't know what to say since I don't really know much about the Scotland history... But I have the utmost respect for people that truly belive and that would dare fight against overwhelming odds in favor of a just cause.*

Thank you, I will start practicing French as soon as I can!

Edit: *After a little bit of research I'm more confused than before...I hope you are not trying to put me into a tough spot here, Papillon haha... I will just add that I belive in peace and leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Just a heads-up about the French language. English speakers have a tough time learning it. I think Portuguese kinda helps though, it's one of the romance languages after all (like french).
Bonjour Tonyus,

Yes, indeed! Sometimes we can kind of understand what is being said because of the languages' roots (?)

As an example, using the "Code d'honneur du légionnaire"

1 - Légionnaire, tu es un volontaire servant la France avec honneur et fidélité

In Portuguese it would be:

1 - Legionário, você é um voluntário que serve a França com honra e fidelidade

Some Brazillian could even argue I could trade "Você é" for "Tu é" which is much closer to French. But "Você é" is more commonly used through out Brazil.

Thank you for you reply. I will definitely practice French.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
You'll laugh at how "whispers" is said in french... The two (gorgeous) Brazilian women that were in a class with me were all giddy and getting red in the face when we learned that...
Bonne courage !