New physical test requirements

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Did anyone notice it has changed lately/at some point? Yesterday, I saw comment under one of Thomas Gast youtube videos that there were changes in tests, and that's what I saw on recruiting page:

Full pulls in pronation (with an outstretched arm start, in the low position between each pull) are no longer eleminatory, but remain an important element of selection.

"Luc léger Tests" endurance test: measures the "maximum aerobic speed" (VO2max).

The goal is to reach the highest level, at least level 5 (corresponding to 2500 m in the COOPER test)

Sporting tests upon enlistment
FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION RECRUITMENT
en.legion-recrute.com
en.legion-recrute.com

French version says the same as far as I understood.

I checked that with Joseph and it seems like it had change not long time ago. Anyway, if You didn't notice that change, here You are.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
It’s always been encouraged by Anciens and the Mods to get fit, get fit, get fit...then go knocking on the big gate. I believe now a Sgt, or a Corporal Chef, will make you do a certain amount of heaves (chin-ups) on arrival at Aubagne, or one of the recruitment centres throughout France. Take it serious, your there to give the Legion 5 years of your life.

OP
S

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
It’s always been encouraged by Anciens and the Mods to get fit, get fit, get fit...then go knocking on the big gate. I believe now a Sgt, or a Corporal Chef, will make you do a certain amount of heaves (chin-ups) on arrival at Aubagne
Well, it is selection process. And probably competition, to some degree. The way I understand it, is that now candidate has to appear meeting his own physical standards. If they ask: why you can't do any pullups, answering that: they said on recruitment site, that I don't have to do any, may not be an optimal answer.

I hope I managed to express myself clearly (english-wise).

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
As a young man in the days of National Service 1945/1962 I only wanted to serve in the Paras or Commandos. As an NS man the chances were very unlikely. So at the tender age of 17 and 3 weeks I signed for the Corps. To cut to the chase I was offered a commission and at officer school I was also offered a Para commission after passing selection by a man of subsequent great fame Farrar Hockley

In those days you only had to have 2 legs, 2 arms, good eyesight, a sound heart and lungs Then after your 'cough and tickle' medical you were graded. At A1, I was in. Then it was up to the unit PTIs' to ensure that I reached the required physical standards.

Trained by former WW2 veterans the Commando Course was a pass or fail event plain and simple.
No second chance unless injured. It was greatly feared by all and met with considerable trepidation.

Now it highly sophisticated with aspirants having to attend a 3 day mental and physical assessment. If successful they are offered a place.

Chas RMV202910 Mne-20/06/1956.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks Sohito for sharing. The thing to remember is, getting in is the hard and the easy part. The hard part because it has been well documented on here that there is a lot of competition out there. However once you are in, then that is when things start to get hard.
Anyone who is thinking about joining, try and remember that the the daily training will involve long runs and long marches. At the end of the long run, which is a minimum of 5 kms, you will be expected to climb a rope and or do pull ups and sit ups and...
Don't just stop at being able to get in, but being able to do the 5 years.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Did anyone notice it has changed lately/at some point? Yesterday, I saw comment under one of Thomas Gast youtube videos that there were changes in tests, and that's what I saw on recruiting page:

Full pulls in pronation (with an outstretched arm start, in the low position between each pull) are no longer eleminatory, but remain an important element of selection.

"Luc léger Tests" endurance test: measures the "maximum aerobic speed" (VO2max).

The goal is to reach the highest level, at least level 5 (corresponding to 2500 m in the COOPER test)

Sporting tests upon enlistment
FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION RECRUITMENT
en.legion-recrute.com
en.legion-recrute.com

French version says the same as far as I understood.

I checked that with Joseph and it seems like it had change not long time ago. Anyway, if You didn't notice that change, here You are.
This is interesting. I guess they realized that they losing too many good candidates because of that rule. Especially after limit for pull ups was lifted to 7.

That now old rule also giving a lot of freedom to person who recruiting to have free will on what is correct pull-up and what isn't. I so one video made by FFL where their version of correct pull-up is actually crazy. Not that you need to pull your chin above bar but you have to pull yourself so high so your nipples touching bar. In my opinion that is not correct pull- up

Last edited:

rashisan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello Gents,

long time no see but i am reading almost every post here. Hope everyone is in good health in this wondering times.

Let's stick to the topic.

As we can see in the link below:
FFL lowered their requirements..which is wierd since some time ago they raised the pull ups to 7.
So now there is no predefined pull ups numbers, Luc Leger is at least level 5 instead level 7.
If you catch the mood of the caporal you can enter the FFL easily in my opinion if you meet some rude one...
OK so what about the IQ test upon arrival in the FFL there is no information if something changed. Many guys just leaving after unsuccessful answering 12 question for 10 mins.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

Well done in keeping the forum alive by posting so many varied posts. It is great that you are such an avid forum supporter. Even if you never join the FFL continue to be a scribe. (y)
So what if I get accepted overnight? Would I somehow immediately grow up in your eyes Chas? Would that make me so different man from what I'm now?

Please answer this question. I really want to know answer. Answer by private message is also acceptable.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

You have no need to ask such a question. Enlist or not, you are an adult and of course are grown up.

So keep contributing to the forum.(y)

Kind regards- Chas..