a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New wannabe going in January

Pacolino

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Hello all, I'm from Argentina and I'm aiming for knocking on Aubagne doors on the first week of January.

I always dreamed about doing a military career, but my parents never liked it very much. I went through school, college (never liked it very much and didn't finished it), all the "normal" shit and now I'm stuck in an awful desk job that I don't enjoy at all.

I was feeling really sad because I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do all my life, or to try at least. The max age for Argentinian army it's 24, so I can't join (I'm 27 yo)

Since I heard from the Legion I had new expectations, finally I have a chance to do what I always wanted and I'm training hard to join la Légion. I'm 165cm tall weighting 70kg, I've been training weightlifting for some time now and can do 10 pull-ups no problem, but I'm lacking a bit in the cardio department, so I need to improve that. Also started learning a bit of French with Duolingo

On January I will be leaving everything behind, the only thing that attaches me here is my family, I haven't told them yet, but I think they will understand that I need to do this.

I have 3 main motivations to go:

1. The military career. Doing what I wanted all my life and I'm expecting to do this a long long time
2. ‎The payment. I see a lot of people saying there isn't much, but in my job, even if I hate it, it's one of the best paid in my city (that's the only reason I kept it), and it's just a bit more of an equivalent of 800 Euros. Also, in the Legion there are basically no expenses so I will be able to help my family
3. ‎Beign able to serve in one of the toughest military forces in the world

I heard that the 13e DBLE will be a full strength regiment in the next year, so I hope to get a chance to go there. My other regiments of choice will be 1er REC because cavalry, and 2e REG because I like mountains haha...

I was looking for 2e REP too, but I heard a lot of shit about it, so I'm having second thoughts. Most of it was the amount of bullshit they go through. It's not that they have a super hard training that makes people desert, it's just the amount of shit that makes them flee, but I don't know. It's this true?

So far I'm leaving in January because I heard that winter is the best season to go because there are less recruits, but from what I read, most of the better trained folks knows this and do the same

Oh well, thank you all for reading. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if my English redacting skill are not on point

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum Pacolino. You will have time to make up your mind during basic which regiment is better suited for you. Beware those who were never in the REP or did not last long running it down.
Point number 3 states serving in one of the toughest military forces in the world. The REP is the toughest regiment in that category.
One thing to remember is that you will be coming from South America. January in Argentina is summer but the coldest time of the year is January and February in France.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Pioneers lead the way, as we said in the Marine Corps, Engineers Up!

You see who leads the Bastille Day Parades, Ha!

Pacolino

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Well, the day is coming, initially I wanted to go the first week of January, but after a while I found some cheap tickets for the 19th, so this is it, 3 more days to go.

Any last minute tips? I read a lot about being the gray man, do not stand out from the crowd, but if they are more selective with the recruitment, I will try my absolute best to get in

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Pacolino, good luck, I see that you have been on the forum since October so hopefully you have used that time to read up on what to take and most of all, as you said, be the grey man.

It's always with a bit of nostalgia (and a bit of jealousy) when I wish someone good luck setting out on a life changing five years...
I'll leave it there,

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good luck, be well and keep us informed on your situation when can.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well, the day is coming, initially I wanted to go the first week of January, but after a while I found some cheap tickets for the 19th, so this is it, 3 more days to go.

Any last minute tips? I read a lot about being the gray man, do not stand out from the crowd, but if they are more selective with the recruitment, I will try my absolute best to get in

Good luck mate and give it your all.

Pacolino

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Ok bois, I made it, today I arrived at 1REC, I'm really tired right now, later I will post the full experience

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Well done you, wee man
Give us up to date info on selection and training, when you can por favor

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations,
Size and mind over matter have conquered.
Enjoy you new career.