New website with books about the FFL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
I can only say, nice reads. ( was hoping for some non fiction and read perhaps something about people i might know) and to Greyman. Great work and chapeau to you. You might seem to be a blunt guy in your posts but turned out to be a nice guy wit a great heart.
First of all Greyman is a great guy, not many would go to so much trouble. You have to remember it's not just for me but others wanting to get an inside idea of the legion.
Sarajevo, what you said said about non-fiction is a really good point. I only regret that when I worked in the museum I hadn't thought of it. I had access to all the official documents, reports, history books etc. As well I got on with the Adj/c later major and a civvy historian who worked benevolent. I could have gathered all the information I wanted.
I did get the rapports on the kolwezi jump but wanted to make a 'story". So although most of the skirmishes did actually take place, our hero steals the lime light by being in nearly all. It is a fictitious book after all.
Some other things are documented also. The parachutes, mentioned already in the forum. The planes wheel getting a flat. The medical antenna being in the second wave, Very import, the Para regiment on alert Guepard (fast reaction alert) being on leave. I have actually seen the telex's concerning this incident. The regiment is deliberately not mentioned. The helicopters landing on the parade square of 4 RE to pick up the REP men on courses. Lack of munitions, maps and so forth.

Greyman

Ratings
Home Country
United Nations
Hey guys I just noticed I had disabled Joes 'About Me' page on his website.. not sure when I did it but I have reactivated it.. so his website might have had some broken links, and the 'about me' page may have been missing over the last 6 hours or so. I only just noticed as his website traffic had stopped traveling via his 'about me' page so I figured something must have gone wrong.. I've fixed it now.. Sorry about that.. this is the page link here if anyone who looked at it in the last six hours missed it.. again my apologies..

http://www.legionnaire-joe-of-the-french-foreign-legion.com/the-french-foreign-legion/

Last edited:
Ratings
Home Country
United States
Greyman you're a standup guy to help someone out like that. Your time must be getting short, so good luck with the FFL.

Home Country
Portugal
w0w that's was very enlightening !!
thanks for sharing i really appreciate, if i join the legion in april, maybe i would choose the 2rei, but i would like to see if i can handle the commando jungle course by 3rei

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
w0w that's was very enlightening !!
thanks for sharing i really appreciate, if i join the legion in april, maybe i would choose the 2rei, but i would like to see if i can handle the commando jungle course by 3rei
You'll have to ask some of the 2REI guys but they used to do four month tours out there. We had some with us during a mission profond. I even saw one legionnaire, Irish or English, he did his two years, went back, had his CFC (leave) and a month after joining 2REI came back to Guyane on tournant.
Joe
www.legionnaire-joe-of-the-french-foreign-legion.com

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
Joseph and grayman well done! I have not had time to go through everything but from what I've seen so far awsome! Grayman great job on the site! and Joseph I see a lot of talent there! for obvious reasons I will save reading about the kolwezi op until later! from an ancien you make us proud!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Joseph and grayman well done! I have not had time to go through everything but from what I've seen so far awsome! Grayman great job on the site! and Joseph I see a lot of talent there! for obvious reasons I will save reading about the kolwezi op until later! from an ancien you make us proud!
Thanks Mark, as I have said, it's a story (researched) but the hero is in most of the firefights and the gory bits. Your praise is much appreciated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm at bangkok airport, we're flying early morning to Ethiopia and then on to Mali to start a new life. I'll let the forum know more about it later. Dead expensive here for internet.
Back to you see. Joe

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Bulgaria
Good luck, Joe and stay safe! Obviously Thailand has become quite insecure. Cross fingers for you, mate!

Home Country
Zimbabwe
I'm at bangkok airport, we're flying early morning to Ethiopia and then on to Mali to start a new life. I'll let the forum know more about it later. Dead expensive here for internet.
Back to you see. Joe
That is an interesting choice of country. may i ask what the attraction is?

i recently finished reading "devils from heaven". Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to you and Greyman for making it available to all of us here.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
That is an interesting choice of country. may i ask what the attraction is?

i recently finished reading "devils from heaven". Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to you and Greyman for making it available to all of us here.
Hello everyone, I'm in the throes of taking over operations manager for G4S Mali. In other words responsible for 1300 (Mali) guard. We have the US and Canadian embassies among others. I've only been here a couple of days but some of the things you have to deal with are amazing; guards leaving their posts, sleeping on guard, not just nodding off, laid down on a mat and sleeping. Guards not turning up for work, uniforms in shit state. Signing in to take their post and then going home. They know the punishment; 3 days off work, no pay, but that doesn't bother them.
For those who have never been to Africa, it's hot, smelly, dirty and the roads are few and far between. I get paid very good money which helps to put up with it.
The person passing over the "consignes" letting me know what I have to do, is an ex-legionnaire. The managing director is away half the month in Mauritania, which leaves me in charge for the rest of the time. He's coming back tomorrow. He's an ex-legionnaire. I was his boss in the US consulate general in Marseilles, now he's the managing director of Mali and Mauritania. He was the one who got me the job.

Most viewed threads of the week