a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not for the squeamish or faint hearted.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Recuperating from an infection I am reading a superb book.

Title : SNIPER on the Eastern Front. ( The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross ) Author Albercht Wacker. ISBN 978 1 78159 004 1.

My comment. The sniper Landser (Austrian) was conscripted and was a machine gunner. Wounded he became a sniper of renown . Certainly one of the best in the history of the Eastern Front. Unusual for an enlisted man he won the Knights Cross normally an officer's award. The descriptions are both graphic and horrific including cannibalism. A fantastic read.

Finally for firearms enthusiasts Google the author.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think I might have some Sven Hassel books in my basement:unsure:. First read them as a kid as my old man had them & Leo Kessler books.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
there was a guy in the book called the legionnaire.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When I was in the Brit army these paper backs were all the rage. They became a bit far fetched towards the end. I remember reading how Porto had taken a pet baby bear to the Russian front.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I was in the Brit army these paper backs were all the rage. They became a bit far fetched towards the end. I remember reading how Porto had taken a pet baby bear to the Russian front.
yeah & one had a yellow top hat... funny though.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Recuperating from an infection I am reading a superb book.

Title : SNIPER on the Eastern Front. ( The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross ) Author Albercht Wacker. ISBN 978 1 78159 004 1.

My comment. The sniper Landser (Austrian) was conscripted and was a machine gunner. Wounded he became a sniper of renown . Certainly one of the best in the history of the Eastern Front. Unusual for an enlisted man he won the Knights Cross normally an officer's award. The descriptions are both graphic and horrific including cannibalism. A fantastic read.

Finally for firearms enthusiasts Google the author.
Will definitely have a look at it! Thanks Chas, might I reccomended "The Forgotten Soldier" by a Guy Sajër, truly a fantastic recollection of war on the Eastern Front.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sounds like a good book. I'll see if I can get it from my local library. Get well soon. Chas.