NOT joining the Foreign Legion

scoot

Home Country
New Zealand
Hi all

After reading a few books on life in the Legion and several accounts of people's experiences within the Legion, I have decided not to pursue selection in the French Foreign Legion (presuming I got in of course).

I am still very much interested in some type of military life and experience, and am now applying for the part-time army in my home country.

I guess I am not willing to be denied some of the normal activities of life, when I really questioned myself about why I was thinking of going.

I respect all who have attempted selection and all those who have served. I'm sure there are many positive points that have come out of serving in the Legion. But in the end I guess I am not prepared to put up with the hardships for 5 years.

Thanks to all who wrote 'to consider very carefully about joining'

c u all later
scoot

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Macao
No problemo. Good luck to you. Enjoy your life and being a part-time soldier, love your family and your friends.

Last edited:

Rapace

Ratings
376 3 1
Home Country
France
scoot said:
But in the end I guess I am not prepared to put up with the hardships for 5 years
Better than joining on wrong ideas and deserting a couple of months after.

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
But wait guys...didn't we all have some doubt in us when we went? I mean come on be real, all of us had some doubt regarding the Legion when we went to knock on those doors! Be it about our fammilly or friends or life in the Legion or making the cut in Aubagne or even if we will get the Regiment we want or about French or about anything really, no matter what we all had some doubts about our next 5 years in the Legion (unless your dad was a legionnaire and you grew up in the Legion, but even then there was some doubt i bet). Doubt by itself is not the problem, rather it's how we cope with our doubts that matters. Poeple desert not because they are not sure about the hardships in the Legion (hardships are the only guarantee), they desert because they know they won't be able to handle those hardships, or they refuse to handle them. Doubt is common amoung us all in the Legion, it's our strength to overcome those doubts that allow us to continue for five very long and hard years! Don't give up just because you are not sure, that's like failing a test before you even pick up the pencil! I mean if you know that you can't handle pressure and hardships then yes by all means stay home, but don't just stay home because you have doubts about how its going to go!!! I doubted the Legion would take me because i was an American, should i have stayed home for that...NOOO! You must one day conquer those doubts and fears about yourself...........

Mle 187-828

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Macao
'Expedient necessity' (circumstances...) and 'mandatory obligation' (a family thing..) were my guiding twin motivations in joining the FFL: no doubt or hesitation about either...

Last edited:
I think not having any doubt about going to another country, joining their military, particularly a branch that is basically shrouded in mystery and rumor to those outside of circles like these would be a clear sign of psych problems.

Hell having doubt about joining your own military is probably pretty healthy.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Macao
chrisd234 said:
I think not having any doubt about going to another country, joining their military, particularly a branch that is basically shrouded in mystery and rumor to those outside of circles like these would be a clear sign of psych problems.
That's an affirmative !!! the further away you are from France....don't speak French...and join the FFL out of 'personal choice' and 'free will'...I mean I can understand joining the FFL out 'desperate and pressing circumstances' but not otherwise... :D

Last edited:
M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
In reply to the question of doubt. Sure I had some doubts when I joined. But my need to prove something to myself and other circumstances were the main motivations why I joined.
In the contracts that I serve I saw hardships but rose above them. It takes a man to realise that the decision we are about to make is wrong or right it all depends on the indivual.

Ratings
Home Country
United States
But wait guys...didn't we all have some doubt in us when we went? I mean come on be real, all of us had some doubt regarding the Legion when we went to knock on those doors! Be it about our fammilly or friends or life in the Legion or making the cut in Aubagne or even if we will get the Regiment we want or about French or about anything really, no matter what we all had some doubts about our next 5 years in the Legion (unless your dad was a legionnaire and you grew up in the Legion, but even then there was some doubt i bet). Doubt by itself is not the problem, rather it's how we cope with our doubts that matters. Poeple desert not because they are not sure about the hardships in the Legion (hardships are the only guarantee), they desert because they know they won't be able to handle those hardships, or they refuse to handle them. Doubt is common amoung us all in the Legion, it's our strength to overcome those doubts that allow us to continue for five very long and hard years! Don't give up just because you are not sure, that's like failing a test before you even pick up the pencil! I mean if you know that you can't handle pressure and hardships then yes by all means stay home, but don't just stay home because you have doubts about how its going to go!!! I doubted the Legion would take me because i was an American, should i have stayed home for that...NOOO! You must one day conquer those doubts and fears about yourself...........

Mle 187-828
This is very powerful to me. Thank you.

thadeusz

Ratings
4 1 3
Home Country
Belgium
In the mails he now send us from time to time, my son seems very happy to be "denied some of the normal activities of life ".

He writes that the discipline to which he is now confronted is something he missed during his youth (thanks for the kind parents !). He also says that to have to "put up with the hardships " (he says it in his words) will make him a better man after 5 years.

He also writes (too bad for us parents) that he very seriously consider staying more than five years in the Legion

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
354 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
In the mails he now send us from time to time, my son seems very happy to be "denied some of the normal activities of life ".

He writes that the discipline to which he is now confronted is something he missed during his youth (thanks for the kind parents !). He also says that to have to "put up with the hardships " (he says it in his words) will make him a better man after 5 years.

He also writes (too bad for us parents) that he very seriously consider staying more than five years in the Legion
What you think that you doing? You don't have a son, even less a son who is serving in FFL. Can you please stop with this nonsense?

Ratings
367 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
To join you really must have the 'Want Factor'. This covers all sorts of reasons from personal to financial and they vary from individual to individual.

If you have any doubts don't join. It is just that simple.

Ratings
Home Country
United States
"Doubt is common amoung us all in the Legion, it's our strength to overcome those doubts that allow us to continue..."

Most viewed threads of the week