a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Track Places (you tube)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
A good friend of mine from before the Legion, has started a web site called Off Track Places. He's new at this kind of thing. I'd really appreciate if you guys would take a look and give it a like or dislike and leave a constructive comment.
Thanks all in advance.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Not my kind of thing but I know plenty of plane nerds that might like it. I'll pass it on.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
A good friend of mine from before the legion, has started a web site called Off Track Places. He's new at this kind of thing. I'd really appreciate if you guys would take a look and give it a like or dislike and leave a constructive comment.
Thanks all in advance.
Joe, email received. I will have a look through my photos of the MIG fighters in Somalia. The incident with the US marines happened at the airport in Baidoa...he jumped into the cockpit, pressed the eject button, went headfirst into the roof of the hangar...killed instantly.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe, email received. I will have a look through my photos of the MIG fighters in Somalia. The incident with the US marines happened at the airport in Baidoa...he jumped into the cockpit, pressed the eject button, went headfirst into the roof of the hangar...killed instantly.
thanks mate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Actually it is coming up to the anniversary 11 Dec '92 if I remember correctly. If you could find the original post on here and with your permission I could posted it on his website :whistle:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Anyone who has not checked out the Off Track Places, please do so. It's not often that I ask for a favor :cry:.
Because I'm usually doing my best to answer PMs :cool:.
Which brings me to say K, I'll get back to you on your last later or tomorrow. I'm off to watch The Cave this afternoon, while Erika's going to watch James bond. I think that she fancies Danial Craig :sick: (that is supposed to be green with envy).

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
A good friend of mine from before the legion, has started a web site called Off Track Places. He's new at this kind of thing. I'd really appreciate if you guys would take a look and give it a like or dislike and leave a constructive comment.
Thanks all in advance.
Get a dog.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Anyone who has not checked out the Off Track Places, please do so. It's not often that I ask for a favor :cry:.
Because I'm usually doing my best to answer PMs :cool:.
Which brings me to say K, I'll get back to you on your last later or tomorrow. I'm off to watch The Cave this afternoon, while Erika's going to watch James bond. I think that she fancies Danial Craig :sick: (that is supposed to be green with envy).
Left a like on your mates site Joseph. Know a couple of pilots. Told them to check it out.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I added a comment to this Just in case anyone wanted to know what the F stands for.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just posted a comment: In case you were wondering where the MIG came from

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I added a comment to this Just in case anyone wanted to know what the F stands for.
A: Attack (i.e., air-to-surface)
B: Bomber
C: Transport (i.e., cargo)
D: Drone director
E: Special electronic mission
F: Fighter
H: Search and rescue, MEDEVAC
K: Tanker
L: Equipped for cold weather operations
M: Missile carrier (1962–c.1972), Mine countermeasures (c.1973–1976), Multi-mission (1977 onwards)
O: Observation
P: Maritime patrol
Q: Unmanned drone
R: Reconnaissance
S: Anti-submarine warfare
T: Trainer
U: Utility
V: Staff transport
W: Weather reconnaissance
G: Permanently grounded
J: Special test, temporary
N: Special test, permanent
X: Experimental
Y: Prototype
Z: Planning

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If anyone hasn't clicked on to find out what the MiG (ex: MIG 15) stands for, now is the time to do it. I'm not asking ANYONE to subscribe, just to check it out and give it a like or dislike. I'll post what it stand for in a couple of days -on here of course :cool:.
I don't mean liking MY comment, heaven knows I've got more than enough of them on here. To the point where Dusa was offering to buy my likes for a a fist full of cryptocurrency :unsure:.
Or maybe it was the other way around, perhaps I was trying to flog my likes to Dusa ;):ROFLMAO::love:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just posted a comment: In case you were wondering where the MIG came from

In Case you were wondering where the MIG came from:

Artem Mikoyan (M), born August 05 (OS old style i.e. another calendar*- 23 July) 1905 in Sanahin, Elisabethpol Governorate, Russian Empire. Today known as Armenia.

After serving in the military, as a conscript, he went on to study at the Zhukovsky Air Force Acedemy.

In 1939 he became head of the aircraft design in Moscow. Where he joined forces with Mikhail Gurevich (G).

Mikhail Iosifovich Gurevich was born 12 January 1893 [O.S.31 December 1892] near Kersk, Russai. A gymnast, was later expelled from his University in the Ukraine where he was studying Mathematics. He then enrolled in a university in Montpellier, France, before moving on to The École Nationale Supérieure de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace (SUPAERO) Toulouse, France, translated as Frances, National Higher Institute of Aeronautics and Space Acedemy. He was in fact in the same class(year) as the famous French aviation engineer Marcel Dassault who went on to create the Dassault Aviation (Alpha jet, Mirage 2000).

Fast forward to 1947.

New Soviet airframe designs from their design bureaus, and near-sonic wing designs were threatening to outstrip development of the jet engines needed to power them. It was suggested to Joseph Stalin that the USSR buy advanced jet engines from the British. Stalin is said to have replied: "What fool will sell us his secrets?" He did however agree.

Officials traveled to the United Kingdom to request the engines. To Stalin's amazement, the British Labour government and its pro-Soviet Minister of Trade, Sir Stafford Cripps were willing to provide technical information and a licence to manufacture the Rolls Royce Nene jet engine. (Amazing is probably not the right word) – and there is no cheap dig at the labour government intended on my part-.

And so the MIG could take off (lol) the i from what I can gather is Russian for “and”.

* O.S. The Gregorian calendar was implemented in Russia on 14 February 1918 by dropping the Julian dates of 1–13 February 1918 pursuant to a Sovnarkom decree signed 24 January 1918 (Julian) by Vladimir Lenin. Which when looking at history you will see dates by N.S. means New Style.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm waiting to see if he can find an F14 Tomcat, now there is a plane with a history! It was sold to the Iranians and saw combat against Iraq o_Oo_O WTF sold to the Iranians?
I kid you not.
I doubt if he will ever find one unless he goes to Iran. Even in Davis Monthan AMARC scrapyard (or boneyard) you will not come across one as they were retired -under Dick Cheney- and all sensitive materiel was stripped from them and then they were put though the shredder -now that is what I call going overboard.
Here is a photo of part of the scrapyard.
1576720388884.png

Needless to say that there was some illegal smuggling going on between unscrupulous Americans and Iranians. If anyone is interested google - I bet you have already guessed it, anything to do with government skulduggery ends with 'gate'
Irangate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The MiG 29 and it's 'wing buddy' the SU 27 were announced in 2003 to be replaced by the Sukhoi SU57. Contrary to what people may believe, the MiGs did not follow on in numerical order. Before the MiG 29 came the MiG 27.
I only mention this because in the film Top Gun, the bad guys are are attacking in MiG 28s using French AM 39 exocet - Air to ship - missiles (used against the Brits during the Falklands war). There are no exocets in the Russian missile inventory. The MiG 28s are in fact American Northrop F5s, I mean there's no point in upsetting anyone because of a film. By the way, the next MiG in the series is the MiG 31.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The MiG 29 and it's 'wing buddy' the SU 27 were announced in 2003 to be replaced by the Sukhoi SU57. Contrary to what people may believe, the MiGs did not follow on in numerical order. Before the MiG 29 came the MiG 27.
I only mention this because in the film Top Gun, the bad guys are are attacking in MiG 28s using French AM 39 exocet - Air to ship - missiles (used against the Brits during the Falklands war). There are no exocets in the Russian missile inventory. The MiG 28s are in fact American Northrop F5s, I mean there's no point in upsetting anyone because of a film. By the way, the next MiG in the series is the MiG 31.
You are right Joe. Just one thing, as you said MiGs do not follow on in numerical order so 31 is not next 29. Next 29 is MIG 35 multirole fighter based on 29 and MIG 31 is interceptor bassed on MIG 25

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You are right Joe. Just one thing, as you said MiGs do not follow on in numerical order so 31 is not next 29. Next 29 is MIG 35 multirole fighter based on 29 and MIG 31 is interceptor bassed on MIG 25
Is there anything you don’t know dusa? 😂