a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Soldier Meets Young Soldier....The Gap

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, came across this and enjoyed watching it, so thought I'd share this with you. Found the different insights by both men on different era's of war both interesting and fascinating, anyways have a look see and tell me what you think??

Bags

https://youtu.be/uSTdUqgIdyk

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed one of the comments for the video on the youtube site.

" the old soldier has the french "Légion d'honneur" the highest French order of merit for military and civil merits."

Bags

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Bags,
it's been a while. How are you? The French did give out a few Légions d'honneur for those who fought during WWII.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Croix de guerre too. She was naturalised French during the war, joined the secret services. Based in Morocco and did a mission to Lisbon.
Then she joined the French Air Force. Lieutenant i believe. She owned a castle in Dordogne (château des Milandes).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bags great to see you posting. I am still alive.;)Just:)
Take care,

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Croix de guerre too. She was naturalised French during the war, joined the secret services. Based in Morocco and did a mission to Lisbon.
Then she joined the French Air Force. Lieutenant i believe. She owned a castle in Dordogne (château des Milandes).
Joséphine Baker is also renowned for having adopted many children of diverse origins. A great African American lady by all accounts.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
She has a daughter, Lisa, who IS a Jazz singer and she will be touring France this year, like she did last year...
I think she lives in Switzerland
I go to sleep listening to Nina

Reaction score
Home Country
Malta
Hiya guys, came across this and enjoyed watching it, so thought I'd share this with you. Found the different insights by both men on different era's of war both interesting and fascinating, anyways have a look see and tell me what you think??

Bags

https://youtu.be/uSTdUqgIdyk
This video is really interesting! Thank you for posting it, Bags. I especially like the part where the old Veteran says it took him to 1970 to realize the German soldier was doing what he was told do...just like him.
My Dad often talked to me about this. He did WW2, Korea and Viet Nam.
It is an almost acceptable thing that you have to hate your enemies. But there is nothing closer to a soldier than another soldier whatever his army.
On his insistence, I read diaries of the Vietnamese soldiers. And you know what? They were practically the same as those written by other soldiers in others times and in other wars.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Meant, Baker...was Grace Kelly who paid her funeral....and leant her and her a villa on the outskirts of Monaco for her and her children
She was married to a frenchman and had double nationalité
A couple of months ago, she was placed in the Panthéon in Paris
Symbolic ; she is still burried in Monaco but has a second résidence in the Panthéon, along side, Marie Curie and Victor Hugo,and others
Read up

Reaction score
Home Country
Malta
Meant, Baker...was Grace Kelly who paid her funeral....and leant her and her a villa on the outskirts of Monaco for her and her children
She was married to a frenchman and had double nationalité
A couple of months ago, she was placed in the Panthéon in Paris
Symbolic ; she is still burried in Monaco but has a second résidence in the Panthéon, along side, Marie Curie and Victor Hugo,and others
Read up
I always thought Ma Baker was buried in a pauper's grave on the north end of the Williams Timberhill Cemetery in Welch, Oklahoma.

Reaction score
Home Country
Malta
Ok You are begging for this question:
Why is it that a couple of months ago, she was placed in the Panthéon in Paris Symbolic?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Am talking about Joséphine Baker...she is considered a national hero here and a talented artist
The Panthéon holds too many men anyway
Equalty and things

Reaction score
Home Country
Malta
Am talking about Joséphine Baker...she is considered a national hero here and a talented artist
The Panthéon holds too many men anyway
Equalty and things
Sorry. I was not thinking of that Ma Baker.
You forget that I was brought up by a man who was born on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.... and my thinking sometimes goes weird.
Yeah, I like Josephine Baker too and she is a national hero. I agree. Everything makes sense now.
I was wondering why the OTHER Ma Baker would have been buried in Monaco. Mea Culpa!